Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer towing in Manual Mode only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trailer towing in Manual Mode only?

I seemed to have read that we should only be using the Tiptronic in manual mode when towing with a Cayenne.
I read my owners manual and cannot find any such instructions.
While I understand it may be better to prevent constant 6th to 5th downshifts is this really a factory recommendation and any links would be much appreciated?
TIA
Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to remember someone here actually caused a few trans issues by using manual mode while towing.

I think only in extreme downslopes or upslopes you might want to use it. Orhtewize i would just leave it in drive.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4for5
I seemed to have read that we should only be using the Tiptronic in manual mode when towing with a Cayenne.
While I understand it may be better to prevent constant 6th to 5th downshifts is this really a factory recommendation and any links would be much appreciated?
TIA
Manual mode will allow you to start in 1st and avoid 6th gear (at 40mph) which is good if you're towing some weight. An empty trailer (like I had in my pic) or light weight I'd leave in drive. I would avoid downshifting to a stop in manual mode (towing or not) as the P!g downshifts itself regardless and I've found it to down shift more gears than I would want by accident (it downshifted and I hit the button) which could actually be bad for the tranny if you're towing. Brakes are cheaper than transmissions!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts

Leave it in "D" and use your thumb shifters to keep your Cayenne from upshifting into 6th too early. You want to try and keep the engine in the power band if possible - anything above about 2500 RPM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
Manual mode will allow you to start in 1st and avoid 6th gear (at 40mph) which is good if you're towing some weight. An empty trailer (like I had in my pic) or light weight I'd leave in drive. I would avoid downshifting to a stop in manual mode (towing or not) as the P!g downshifts itself regardless and I've found it to down shift more gears than I would want by accident (it downshifted and I hit the button) which could actually be bad for the tranny if you're towing. Brakes are cheaper than transmissions!
I agree completely. I don't recall anything in the manual that addresses this, but it just seems to work out much better controlling the gears in manual and making sure you are in the right power band. I like to keep it at 3K rpm or above for best performance on my C-S. Leaving it in D it will start out in 2nd gear, and I don't think that's best for the engine if you're pulling a car/boat on a trailer.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Leave it in "D" and use your thumb shifters to keep your Cayenne from upshifting into 6th too early. You want to try and keep the engine in the power band if possible - anything above about 2500 RPM.
^ + 1
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by s4for5
Obviously those instructions are next to the section on "Check Trailer Lights" and "Recommended Trailer Electrical Configuration/Load"

It is caused limited liability....you haven't lived until PCNA looks you in the eyes and considers the possibility that you may have voided your warranty by towing with your Cayenne...although there is no written reason why you may have actually done so....
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I tow my Big trailer(28ft flatbed) with a car or toys on it I use Manual to the control everything more and since I dont have a trans temp gauge yet to see what the temp gets to when really working the trans... but my little trailer(15ft flatbe with rails) I just leave it in "D".... I would like to get a Bigger trans cooler but I think I need to find one that will work.. Or just get another factory one and run them in series...

Carl
Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
jittsl
Racer

I have driven many 10s of thousands of miles over the last 7 years mostly at freeway speed and mostly on freeways pulling my GT3 on a lightweight aluminum trailer (about 4700# total) and I rarely ever used manual mode to do so. The only exception is to pull it into or hold in 5th when faced with a long uphill.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Vince964T
Racer

I only trail in manual or the stupid trans will be in 6th gear at 1500rpms....
Hell I only use D in traffic jams, may be that s why the studip trans shifts at 1500 rpms ;-o
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
jittsl
Racer

Vince, either there is something wrong with your cayenne or you are not pressing on the throttle pedal.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yup, he is in 'grandmother mode' ...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Obviously those instructions are next to the section on "Check Trailer Lights" and "Recommended Trailer Electrical Configuration/Load"

It is caused limited liability....you haven't lived until PCNA looks you in the eyes and considers the possibility that you may have voided your warranty by towing with your Cayenne...although there is no written reason why you may have actually done so....
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by jittsl
Vince, either there is something wrong with your cayenne or you are not pressing on the throttle pedal.
Well I do drive it slower than any of my previous cars but it's down to the fact that it is not really all that fun to drive fast. No i just don't like it when the car is still in the wrong gear accelerating coming out of corners or when starting to pass someone and having to wait for the thing to downshift. It's my 1st autobox car and I don't like it so it's manual mode.

Guess now the gearbox software is on strike or in grandmother mode since it only sees traffic jams.

Quick Reply: Trailer towing in Manual Mode only?