Tell me about a 2004 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tell me about a 2004 S

Here's the thing. I want my next car to be in the Porsche family, and I'm toyin around the idea of something with a useable back seat that would be able to tow something. that leaves a Cayenne S. and on top of that, I can find some for pretty cheap.

That said, what are the problem areas? how reliable should I expect it to be? what's maintenance generally cost? how's the fuel economy (if it's better than my 951 at 19mpg, I'd be happy , but not shocked if it wasn't.) any advice on what to look for?

TIA
Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

There's lots to be said about the 2004 model year for Cayennes, also known as the "beta". Actually if you search for beta, you'll probably find lots of the information you want.

A properly maintained 2004 Cayenne S, with all the TSBs done can be a good vehicle. That being said, it can also be a money pit. Make sure to look for one that was manufactured late in the build cycle (early 2004 rather than late 2003) and insist on one that has complete books and records. The problems are well known and well documented. You'll want one that has had the coils replaced, the cardan shaft replaced and the coolant pipes replaced, if you can find one. If something doesn't look right or if the deal seems too good to be true, I'd walk away.

Our 2004 CS has had a few of the common problems, but overall it has been a great vehicle. I'll buy another Cayenne when this one goes.

Fuel economy is another matter. In town, you'll see somewhere between 13 and 15 mpg, depending on how lead-footed you are. If you have a tail wind and are going down hill on the highway, you might see 19 mpg. Also, get ready to spend some money on tires. Cayennes burn through tires pretty quickly, and they aren't cheap.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
There's lots to be said about the 2004 model year for Cayennes, also known as the "beta".

Good luck with your search.
I have searched this a lot and have yet to fine a good answer.

I keep hearing the 04 is worse than other years but nobody can seem to point out EXACTLY what is different other than the nav changing from cd to DVD.

Can someone detail the exact changes between the. 03,04,05 & 06 model years?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

In terms of options and features, I don't think there's much of a difference. I believe the changes were more to improve reliability and correct some of the gremlins in the earlier models, especially electrical gremlins.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had an 04 S and it was very good. No problems at all over the 2 1/2 years that I owned it. Now, there was the issue of electrical gremlins as mentioned above. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any idea what type of electrical things may have changed?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 S has experienced many of the common faults found on the forum. If I was buying a used one without a warranty - I almost think it is better to get one that has 60k on it and most of the problems fixed than a more expensive one with 35k and have them still to be done.

I also have the electrical issues -- warning lights go off -- items just stop working. The normal Porsche/Audi/VW annoyances. I got my car back from the dealer about two weeks ago -- yesterday I start it up and its running a little rough. I put it in reverse and "check left cornering light" ......I start to drive and the CEL comes on. Both of these items were addressed - so back again

It a shame ...because its a great car.............And they do like gas and tires.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

4 revisions of the rear window microswitch
stainless steel trim that rusts
trim that is self ejecting from the vehicle
multiple updates to the TCU/ECU
transmission that loves 'grandmother mode' adaptation
cardan shaft...ffollowed by cardan shaft
coils, coils, coils
aquarium living under the rear antennae spoiler
wiper blades that sound like an elephant dragging its *** across the windshield
headlight condensation (by installing dessicant bags), followed by drilling holes and installing ventilation tubes
headlight connector alignment, retention and longevity issues
comfort control unit losing its memory/configuration
a/c solenoids buried behind the IP that decide to make noises like a duck
alignment (3 different sets of values over the years)

....out of memory error message.....

apart from that, pretty much a desirable vehicle IMHO.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx for the chuckle. add wheels bearings and control arm bushings. and it likes rotors and pads as a side dish to the tires. All next on the list.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't say it sounds like a duck... I always thought it sounded like some kind of small wounded rodent....
Old 05-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Be careful.

This is the only year/model ever produced by Porsche that has some known issues.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Are the control arm bushing the clunk I am getting from the front when I first back up?

My rear hatch window works fine -- I do have to slam it so the "open" warning will go off - but it does work. I know this because I'm afraid to use the hatch since my forth set of struts have failed !!

What does the microswitch do -- open it or tell me its closed.

Last edited by yeldogt; 06-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Are the control arm bushing the clunk I am getting from the from when I first back up?
most probably, mine is now a nice constant thud under my left foot under hard acceleration. thing is wobblin around under there.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Kermit
Intermediate

I got a 2004 about two months back. Defects I noticed so far on mine:

- Had to replace all coils
- CD player makes a really annoying sound, like something hitting the plastic casing repeatedly. Happens most times I open the drivers door, keep on for 5-30 seconds.
- Switch for the interior lighting works when it wants to
- A/C leak
- Rear hatch window - have to close it REALLY hard, or the car thinks it's still open
- Noisy wipers that hardly does anything. Will replace asap.
- TPMS error, no idea what / why, have to let someone look at it
- Airbag light went on after changing battery. Probably just some low voltage error code or something, but have to drive it to a workshop to get the codes cleared.
- And oh yeah, had to change the battery
- Plastic cover for the base of rear wiper keeps falling off. Replaced it, fell off again.
- Tried to change the autolock settings, always reverts to previous settings after a while.
- Turn signal warned about broken lightbulb, but started working again. Some kind of bad connection.
- Drivers side handle is a little "loose". Sometimes (happened 2-3 times) when exiting the car the interior door handle just doesn't work. Have to roll down window and jiggle outside handle a bit to get it to unlock from the inside.
- Not a malfunction, but design flaw? When I fold the rear seats down, the air conditon control buttons for the back seat makes ugly impressions in the leather on the seat pressed against it.

Those are all the tings I can think of for now. I guess you have to expect some of these flaws when buying used, but I have had quite a few things to look at.

That beeing said, it runs like a dream. Engine, gearshifts, suspension and all those important parts work great. All those small things have not scared me away from getting another Cayenne. In fact, I'm quite sure my next car will also be a Cayenne, but a newer model.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dare I ask how much the coils are?

Quick Reply: Tell me about a 2004 S