Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no cold air from passenger vent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default no cold air from passenger vent?

Hi,

This problem started 2-3 weeks ago, car has 70+k miles. The A/C blows cold air only from the driver's side vent, the passenger side blows normal to warm air. (Temp. set equally for both sides). I assume A/C compressor is not the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

TIA.
Sam

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-28-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar problem in that mine was blowing full hot from the left vent and normal through the right.

Faulty servo actuator was the culprit on the left side.

Servo replaced and all ok.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Similar problem in that mine was blowing full hot from the left vent and normal through the right.

Thank you, I guess coming up... yet another dealer visit.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Car is ready. Dealer says it was low in freon gas, refilled with dye to troubleshoot (in future) just in case if a leak was the culprit. I should mention that I've been very happy with Herb Chambers service dept. Within past 6 years.

Hopefully this is all for now since as of Friday my Cayenne returns to me as DD vehicle....yes, Sadly I am departing with my Twin Turbo
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 AM
z064ddle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Hi,

This problem started 2-3 weeks ago, car has 70+k miles. The A/C blows cold air only from the driver's side vent, the passenger side blows normal to warm air. (Temp. set equally for both sides). I assume A/C compressor is not the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

TIA.
Sam
Have the same exact problem in my 06 CS this summer. I'll have to take it in to get it checked out too. Can't stand driving it when it's 100 degrees out side and a Black car to boot. It's strange that it's a low freon problem that you had though. I was hoping it's the freon problem because it's easy to fix. But In the other hand, it'd be a pain to find out that your evaporator is leaking.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 AM
z064ddle
Track Day

I have the same problem with 05 CS where the passenger side is the one that blowing hot air. The driver side doesn't blow that cold of air either. I was thinking it could either be low on freon or the servo myself because I have this same problem on my Z06. It wasn't actually the servo, but the gear was skipping and thus not closing the heat air completely allowing the heat to pass through and mix with the cold air. Therefore, I don't get the really really cold air from the good normal A/C, but it's still cold enough to cool the little car. So, I didn't bother messing with it. Atleast in the Z06, it threw a code telling me the problem. I would think the Porsche would have throw some codes too.

Anyway, how hard was it to replace the servo actuator? Is it something that you can do yourself? Does it requires to remove the dashboard and all that stuff to get to? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by z064ddle
I have the same problem with 05 CS where the passenger side is the one that blowing hot air. The driver side doesn't blow that cold of air either. I was thinking it could either be low on freon or the servo myself because I have this same problem on my Z06. It wasn't actually the servo, but the gear was skipping and thus not closing the heat air completely allowing the heat to pass through and mix with the cold air. Therefore, I don't get the really really cold air from the good normal A/C, but it's still cold enough to cool the little car. So, I didn't bother messing with it. Atleast in the Z06, it threw a code telling me the problem. I would think the Porsche would have throw some codes too.

Anyway, how hard was it to replace the servo actuator? Is it something that you can do yourself? Does it requires to remove the dashboard and all that stuff to get to? Thanks.
FWIW: dealer quoted 4-5 hrs labor and yes they said the dash had to be removed. In my case they saw no reason to perform the replacement and proceeded with gas refill, so far A/C is super cold. As I mentioned they did inject a dye just in case a leak was the culprit.
Hope this is some help.
Regards.
Sam

Last edited by Sam CS 05; 06-08-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
z064ddle
Track Day

Thanks, I'll take mine to get it check and see what they'll find.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 AM
z064ddle
Track Day

Took the car in the shop today, and it was low on freon. A good refill and it's back in action now. They also added some dye in the system. In a couple of weeks, when I bring the car back for an oil change, they will look to see where the leak is. I'm afraid it might be the evaporator; that'd be a labor costly fix.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:58 PM
MrManMN
4th Gear

My Cayenne's AC blows cold to the driver side and warm to the passenger side.
Can you tell me which servo to replace and where is it? Photo would help!
Thanks
Old 05-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The servo replacement is not for the faint hearted. I would allocate all day on a Saturday to do it. If you have big arms forget it. They are located on what would be considered the outer side of the center console 3 on drivers side and two on passenger side. They are directly below the big vent thing on the dash but are not accessible by taking the vent cover off. You must fully disassemble the dash. If you can figure how to take it off then it needs to come off. Each actuator has two T15 screws. Each actuator is different. This is the type of project you may attempt yourself but you would not help your brother in law fix his. I may have pics I will send later.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:59 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I just checked my photo library and found where I had tried to take pictures, but they are not visible. I have attached a couple of pictures that may aid in some way but I doubt it. I have a complete AC unit in my storage. I may be able to get a picture of that if you are interested. I completely disassembled a 2004 about a year ago just for all the spare parts. Paying $375 for a rollover has saved me $1000’s. I currently have 4 Cayenne S’s.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:04 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

This is a common situation on cars with dual-zone climate controls. If the refrigerant is leaking, at some point there is only enough liquid to phase-change in one of the two evaporators. So you only get cold air on one side. Then eventually both will be warm when there isn't enough for even the first one in line. Recharge and take notes, see how long it takes before it happens again.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
This is a common situation on cars with dual-zone climate controls. If the refrigerant is leaking, at some point there is only enough liquid to phase-change in one of the two evaporators. So you only get cold air on one side. Then eventually both will be warm when there isn't enough for even the first one in line. Recharge and take notes, see how long it takes before it happens again.
This might be the case if the Cayenne used two evaporators. There is only one in a dual-zone system. The air-temps are regulated by flaps in the HVAC box that mix heated and cooled air. It also only has one heater core.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:04 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

In case of 4-zone climate control, there is also a heater matrix in the back of the car. I don't know if there is a second aircon evaporator though.

Last edited by hopsis; 05-31-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Quick Reply: no cold air from passenger vent?