Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant and other issues - 08 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 PM
master_328
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have the same problem on my 2008 Cayenne Turbo. What is the easiest way to replace "948-106-101-03 Intake Socket". Do you need to remove water pump or thermostat housing or both? Should thermostat itself been replaced at 90000 miles, or are they good quality?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by alicoredm
I have an 08 GTS. I've had raw fuel smell - dealer replaced heat exchanger, fuel pump and damper and they said it should be fine.

Brought it home, noticed a smell. It was a bit different, had a buddy smell it and he said that is coolant.

Anyway, brought it back and they said coolant was "evident at bell housing drain". They removed intake manifold to inspect ... "significant coolant residue built up in engine valley - no sign of fresh leak. Cleaned coolant residue, blow dried valley - no sign of leak under pressure. Suspect smell from built up residue of previous leak". Not sure what previous leak, maybe part of repair dealing with heat exchanger.

I'm new to this board, but I have been impressed with responses to other questions, so thanks in advance if you can shed light on this.

1. How long should it take for the residual coolant to burn off and be gone?
2. If they test for leaks under pressure, should all be good as far as coolant leaks?
3. Do these things that I am experiencing sound like a connection to coolant tube issue I have read about?
1. It can take months. Mine has finally stopped smelling, and the level hasn't changed since April when we did the cooling tubes. The valley in the V of the V8 engine is actually deep, and there is a good part of it that is very hard to get to without removing the starter (which we didn't do.. since it hadn't actually leaked.) Even the minor amount of residual fluid that ended up in the valley and didn't come out with the towel I stuffed in there can cause a noticeable smell for months after. I suspect it hardens to a resin like consistancy as it dries up (based on some drops that dried on the engine cowling) and outgases for some period of time after that.

2. Pretty much - if it's done right (connected, pressurized, monitored for an hour or so..)

3. Did you ask them if you have the plastic tubes or aluminum ones? I'd suspect the coolant they described in the engine valley (the V) was from a tube failure, and hopefully they were replaced at the time with the aluminum ones. Be worth asking them about it before they forget what they saw..
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Danac123
Hey guys, I have been reading you 08 cayenne posts, very informative! I am thinking about purchasing a 08 GTS but after hearing about all of the issues I am very hesitant. I really don't want to pay in the $50K range for a car that will have constant problem and is always in the shop. Any advice?
Kind of an odd place to ask your question.. but a very quick answer:

If you're used to Japanese car reliability - don't buy ANY German car. You'll be disappointed. The German vehicle will be much nicer to drive, handle better, out-perform the Japanese car, but it will cost more to own as far as maintenance and repairs. Your choice - we can't make the choice for you. Sometimes love is tough..
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If you're used to Japanese car reliability - don't buy ANY German car. You'll be disappointed. The German vehicle will be much nicer to drive, handle better, out-perform the Japanese car, but it will cost more to own as far as maintenance and repairs. Your choice - we can't make the choice for you. Sometimes love is tough..
Deilenberger, the best advice that I've heard to date!
Japanese cars don't break down and keep you stranded on the side of a road like German cars can. However, Japanese cars are boring to drive unlike any European car. This is a known weakness that many of us are willing to accept by driving a German car.

Just to re-iterate on a subject that has been discussed many times over, the '08+ V-8 engines are still equipped with polymer coolant tubes however they've been extensively re-engineered over the older 4.5 liter units.

To date, there is no documented failure of these polymer coolant tubes on the newer 4.8 liter engines.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 PM
bluto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!

Not to high-jack WayneE's post, but I purchased a used '09 S-pig in September. I smell coolant. The dealer has pressure tested the system, twice and tell me the system is ok.

What's the best way to get the issue resolved? Take a copy of this tread and drop it off with my pig or take it back in again and explain the smell problem?

BTW, I'm new to the forum and from northern Virginia.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's leaking then the level in the coolant res. has to be dropping. Monitor that level with a cold engine ie: first thing in the AM. Also, if you can remove the under engine panels look for signs of coolant, trust me, it will be visible as in a crusty line down the engine or transmission.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

About to pick up an 18k mile 08 CTT

Unfortunately I'm 1700 miles away. Having it inspected, but not sure it'll be much more than a surface check.

Will be keeping an nose out of the sniff test.

If I have to perform this fix. Do you pull the intake, or is there alternative access.

Mike

Last edited by txhokie4life; 11-12-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bluto
Great thread!

Not to high-jack WayneE's post, but I purchased a used '09 S-pig in September. I smell coolant. The dealer has pressure tested the system, twice and tell me the system is ok.

What's the best way to get the issue resolved? Take a copy of this tread and drop it off with my pig or take it back in again and explain the smell problem?

BTW, I'm new to the forum and from northern Virginia.
Chances are that the dealer performed the WA29 high pressure fuel pump recall and some residual coolant remained and is burning off. I had the same issue after the recall was performed and the odor eventually subsided.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Simtanium
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi can someone assist me please, I just replaced my coolant pipes and now I have a leak coming from the rear of the engine on two sides. Thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Simtanium
Hi can someone assist me please, I just replaced my coolant pipes and now I have a leak coming from the rear of the engine on two sides. Thanks
How about stating what year/model the vehicle is for a start. There are various issues depending on this info.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

So It has been some time since this thread died off, thought I would bring it back.

Has there been any TSBs on V8s in the 957s or VIN numbers or mfd dates for when these manufacturing issues in regards to coolant leaks have been fixed?

After all the money I spent on my 955 to fix these issues, I would like to be proactive on this one if there is such a thing.

I see the pipes have changed as stated:
Name:  IMG_0763_small.jpg
Views: 16290
Size:  245.0 KB
Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead again... there isn't much info out there about solving 957 coolant issues and I'd like to try to find some resolutions for the issues which are becoming more and more prevalent.

The part number porsche52 listed in 2010 is 948-106-101-02. Is 948-106-101-03 the most updated part? It appears that all versions of this part have been injection molded plastic, but when I search 948-106-101-03 on google images, I find some pictures of an alloy part! I would love to have an aluminum fitting rather than plastic. Does anyone know if this is available?

ECS Tuning lists both the 102 and 103 parts for $17.45 and $26.25 respectively. The 103 listing includes pictures and once can clearly see the 103 part number and the fact that it is made of injection molded plastic.

Any input?

I also plan to refresh the rest of the coolant system while I'm in there. That includes reinforcing the fitting on the water distributor as well as buying a new aluminum coolant pipe to replace the stock plastic one (for 957) as seen here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...stributor.html

Also on the list is a thermostat, coolant vent line, serp. belt, and intake gaskets. Can anyone think of anything else a 957 V8 owner might want to replace while they're in there?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 08 GTS and have had ZERO issues on mine at 57k miles now. I do not have PDCC, a Pano roof, or a manual transmission, for which I'm thankful for. To the guy looking to buy one, don't be scared off by these threads. Do your homework, and go find a good one. Preferably with 21" Sport Plus wheels.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:55 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, hopefully this will help someone out there. I have an 08 GTS with 29k miles. Since purchasing the truck a year ago, I've been telling the dealer that occasionally I smell coolant. They've checked the system and assured me the truck had the aluminium pipes and all recalls performed. Never a drop of coolant on the floor, never a "low coolant" warning. However, what recently DID crop up was a fault related to the thermostat sticking in the closed position. We've had this fault trigger three times so it's off to the indy to get fixed. While in there, the Indy is recommending I go ahead and replace the water pump for preventative measures. Not sure if this is wise, but oh well. I've asked the indy to do a check of the coolant system to ensure there is no residue, leaks, or issues with the pipes or fittings. They believe the smell might be related to the thermostat sticking closed.

I shall see and report back. Fingers crossed.

KS
Old 09-07-2014, 01:03 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The typical failure mode for the thermostat on the GTS is stuck open. The code is thrown when the engine doesn't warm up fast enough.

If yours is stuck closed, then this is an unusual situation. Keep us informed on what your indy finds.

Quick Reply: Coolant and other issues - 08 GTS