Sponsored by:

Coolant and other issues - 08 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant and other issues - 08 GTS

I searched, but couldn't find any coolant tube threads on the 957s. I have a 2008 GTS. Do the 08+ Cayennes have the plastic tubes? My truck smells like coolant when I drive it.

This should be an interesting trip to the dealer.

More PDCC issues, coolant smell, generally uncooperative manual transmission/clutch - won't go in 1st when cold, grinds into third, clutch is chattering, car shakes like a dog ****ting razorblades when accelerating and my ****ing driver seat still squeaks every time I press in the clutch (this is probably the most annoying) .

I always tell people, don't own these things out of warranty
Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WayneE
I searched, but couldn't find any coolant tube threads on the 957s. I have a 2008 GTS. Do the 08+ Cayennes have the plastic tubes? My truck smells like coolant when I drive it.
Well there's really no good aftermarket use for the plastic coolant tubes, so yep, it probably has them. PAG's not going to waste them.

Or maybe the engine blocked cracked...okay, just kidding (sort of).
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Originally Posted by wirunner
Well there's really no good aftermarket use for the plastic coolant tubes, so yep, it probably has them. PAG's not going to waste them.

Or maybe the engine blocked cracked...okay, just kidding (sort of).

The truck has just over 11k miles on it. If it needs a new engine every 12k miles, that's cool.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
wirunner
Pro

Joking aside...put some cardboard under it at night. Coolant doesn't evaporate. Plus you don't want to ruin your driveway like mine did.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
wirunner
Pro

The truck has just over 11k miles on it. If it needs a new engine every 12k miles, that's cool.
33k - haven't seen the P!g in almost a month. It lives at the dealer. I drove by over xmas just to say "hi".
Old 01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Not sure about you, but I bought mine new. The counter is running on the PDCC issue. This is attempt #2 out of a possible 4.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Given the dogs in the avatars, please be very careful if you have coolant leaking and dogs in the house
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Thanks. No leaks yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Just sent an appointment request to my dealer, I'll keep the board posted on the problems.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a coolant leak! its just not hitting the ground yet. The plastic coupler from the water pump to thermostate housing leaks on just about every 08 and early 09 V-8 pigs. Coolant collects in the vally under the intake. There is only 1 plastic coolant tube under the intake on the 2nd gen DFI engines. Have seen only a couple leak from that tube. Completely different design than the 1st gen cayenne. I would say 99% of the time it is the plastic coupler. They came with x o-rings from the factory, now we are installing new couplers with proper round o-rings. There is a special lubricant from the father land that must be mixed 50-50 with water for the o-rings. Go figure. We were seeing cars straight of the truck from germany with coolant leaks from this coupler. The new round o-rings have been very good.

This is some info on the coolant leak.

Vehicle Type: Cayenne S/GTS/Turbo/Turbo S
Model Year: As of 2008
Concern: Coolant leak from the coolant regulator housing
Information: When carrying out work on the coolant regulator housing that involves removing the intake socket, labled "A" in image, the previously used assembly grease 000.043.204.68 must no longer be used when installing the replacement intake socket. The reason for this change is that if too much assembly grease is used on the sealing rings during installation, the sealing rings may become deformed when the intake socket is installed and therefore may not seal properly. If a complaint of coolant leak from this intake socket is received, replace the intake socket with948.106.101.02 which is fitted with upgraded round sealing rings.

Action Required: Use assembly gel 000.043.205.93 as the assembly grease for the intake socket.
Information! The amount of gel required for fitting must be diluted with water (50:50).

Parts Info: 000.043.205.93 -> Grease (assembly gel, 100g tube)
948.106.101.02 -> Intake socket, round sealing rings
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Great info, porsche52. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Great info, porsche52. Thanks!

Wish I could help with the other issues, but that would require me going to MD!! Hope the boys up there figure it out! Just curious, what issue are you having with PDCC?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

We need to get you some beer for all your help!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
WayneE
Instructor

I was getting these errors about once/week...

Took it in, they claimed there was a stone in one of the connectors and it had bent a pin in the connector. Supposedly fixed and I was on my way.

Nope.

It's happening about once every 2 weeks now.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Just did a search for TSB's in regards to the PDCC system. There are a couple of them, one for "clicking type noises from the valve blocks, and the other for fault code 15621 in control unit, along with the warning "Chassis system defective" in cluster. Both have you installing a new PDCC control unit if the system passes all functional tests. part # 955.618.068.12 for the GTS. It may need a new control unit, it may not, hard to tell. Does the PDCC system do anything abnormal before the message pops up, or is just out of the blue, beep... beep... warning chassis system. I recall one such Cayenne at our shop with no symptoms, just a warning, we put a PDCC control unit it, have not seen the car again for that issue. If I were to load up the parts shotgun and take a shot, I would put a control unit in it.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I was getting these errors about once/week...

Took it in, they claimed there was a stone in one of the connectors and it had bent a pin in the connector. Supposedly fixed and I was on my way.

Nope.

It's happening about once every 2 weeks now.
Check the battery. I just got a "Four Wheel Drive System Faulty" error over the last few weeks and was told it was voltage related. I suspect this may hold true for other systems.

BTW, I did notice the starter was laboring more when cranking (low voltage). If you are having a similar symptom, then you may check the battery.

Quick Reply: Coolant and other issues - 08 GTS