Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok don't laugh - early Cayenne V6 thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Ok don't laugh - early Cayenne V6 thoughts?

Hey all,

So I've done a bit of reading here over the weekend, and it seems the Cayenne is full of issues. Trans problems, coolant tubes, PCM issues, etc. However, I'm only seeing this referenced to the V8 Cayenne.

How are the V6s?

I'm looking into an SUV for the wife. We really like the Audi Q7, but used ones are still $40k. I'm a life-long Porsche nut (don't own one yet, but am getting close to being "in the market", most likely by next spring) and noticed that used early Cayenne V6s are going for low-mid 20s.

I figure, I can spend the same on a used VW Touareg (wife currently drives a GTI, I have an Audi A4, so I'm definitely a VAG fan) but why not just get the Cayenne instead, if anything, just for the name?

I know the early V6s are pretty slow, but that's fine - it's an SUV. Are all these transmission problems, etc. just limited to the V8s?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't laugh? That takes the fun out of it.....

Take a V8 Cayenne, take out the Zuffenhausen V8, put in an Audi engine (sure, with a "Porsche designed" intake...it's still an Audi lump) and you have a Cayenne V6....warts and all
What you have is basically an VAG product (85% VAG content and labor).

Ever wonder why Cayenne V6's being sold in the 20's?

Now, if you want to buy it, as you said "just for the name", go for it.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 989 Posts

There are plenty of Cayennes for sale right now, including many 2004 Cayenne S models with the V8 in the low 20s. If you choose to avoid the 2004 model year (a good idea), there are quite a few 2005 Cayenne S models in the mid-20s available. I checked autotrader.com for a quick reference. There's one that is quite nice, white in color with only 42,000 miles being offered for $27,000. It has some factory warranty remaining. Why not go for a V8?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd have to give the V6 a thumbs down.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtech
I'd have to give the V6 a thumbs down.
+1

Also...FWIW, despite all my "problems" of late (shaft, transmission control valve module, coolant tubes, and coils last fall) I really love my Pepper (no really, cause I'm good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like me - oh wait that was my OTHER 12 step program).

If I had it to do over again, I still would have bought one, but likely waited a year and got an '06. The '04 I have was a steal of a deal at the time (warranty and all). My advice is buy CPO if possible "just in case".
Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Hey all,

So I've done a bit of reading here over the weekend, and it seems the Cayenne is full of issues. Trans problems, coolant tubes, PCM issues, etc. However, I'm only seeing this referenced to the V8 Cayenne.
Probably because V8 owners more frequently visit the Cayenne "Enhusiast" Forum (aka Pig Pen). Hard to imagine getting all jazzed up by a 1st gen V6. With that said, I'm pretty sure the V6 models were also plagued by bad driveshaft (same VAG part), coils (same supplier), PCM/radio issues (same stuff), transmissions (same supplier), etc. You might be spared coolant tubes.

Unless its dirt cheap (likely well under $20k), go with an orphaned S. There's plenty to choose from. It's not like a 1st gen V6 was easy at the pump (maybe 1-2 mpg better).
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well if it had a factory warranty still, then sure, I'd go for the "S" and get the V8. But I figured, for a ~mid-$20k Cayenne, it's going to be an '04-'05 and not be CPO'd. Are dealers actually CPO'ing 4-5 year old cars?

No warranty scares me a little, given the problems I'm reading about here, so the thought was that maybe the problems were limited to the V8, and we'd avoid most of the issues by going with the V6 model.

The last thing I need is to buy a nice Cayenne, drive it for 6 months, and then have it die on my wife on her way to work and wind up needing $6k worth of work to get it back on the road.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last thing I need is to buy a nice Cayenne.
A "nice" Cayenne is a brand new Cayenne. Or as close to brand new as you can possibly get.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
A "nice" Cayenne is a brand new Cayenne. Or as close to brand new as you can possibly get.
A "nice" Cayenne is a dead Cayenne.

Lying on it's roof, Cardan shaft up, drowning in a puddle of its own coolant from the cracked tubes, coils arcing and sparking, rear window popped open...just waiting for the "!" on the dashboard to die out.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
A "nice" Cayenne is a dead Cayenne.

Lying on it's roof, Cardan shaft up, drowning in a puddle of its own coolant from the cracked tubes, coils arcing and sparking, rear window popped open...just waiting for the "!" on the dashboard to die out.
I KNEW someone was going to say that. I decided to be the nice one and kept it friendly for the chicken
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Don't scare him off just yet, he's not done marinating.....

Hmmn, Newbie...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Well if it had a factory warranty still, then sure, I'd go for the "S" and get the V8. But I figured, for a ~mid-$20k Cayenne, it's going to be an '04-'05 and not be CPO'd. Are dealers actually CPO'ing 4-5 year old cars?

No warranty scares me a little, given the problems I'm reading about here, so the thought was that maybe the problems were limited to the V8, and we'd avoid most of the issues by going with the V6 model.

The last thing I need is to buy a nice Cayenne, drive it for 6 months, and then have it die on my wife on her way to work and wind up needing $6k worth of work to get it back on the road.
Let me ease your worries.

PSST....THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES...

V6, V8, doesn't matter. If anything, the V8 is a better engine (LTC you hold your tongue), and it gets as good if not better mileage than the V6.

Search Carmax for an '06 Cayenne S. If you can't afford that, then forget it. This is not an SUV that you want to buy if money is tight.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Originally Posted by medtech

Search Carmax for an '06 Cayenne S. If you can't afford that, then forget it. This is not an SUV that you want to buy if money is tight.
+1 on this too.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Now you've gone and scared him off...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 PM
medtech
Drifting

ooops!

Quick Reply: Ok don't laugh - early Cayenne V6 thoughts?