Jeremy Cottrell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there any resolution on this?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive changed almost everything that could make noise in the front end, and all on my nickel.
there were a bunch of strange noises coming from the front end. I ended up changing everything a bit at a time and was able to get rid of most of them.
1- the forward/ backward clunking was the lower control arm bushings, the rear bushing rips
2 -the slow speed thumping was the front diff. replaced with another used unit and disappeared for a while but now its back. P tech says the way to make the noise go away is a new unit. At $2200, told wife to turn up radio.
3- the slow speed crunching was the front axles, stealer wants $1500 each, NFW, rebuild by local guy, $100 each. Crunchy noise gone. The "while I'm in here" I installed new front wheel bearings. There was no play in the wheels but i didnt want to be in there again.
4- There is some very slow speed tight turn noise from the front diff but I'm gonna chalk that one up the the AWD. Had the same issue on another AWD truck, same feel and noise.
The p!g feels fine now, I even put all new brakes/rotors all around. The sad part is it's time to trade her in. She goes bye bye friday. Its bittersweet.
Can i still come here to visit?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few questions here about the diff's since it seems this is now becoming a common issue.
Has anyone changed the oil in their diffs and transfercase before the recommended 160k/ 16 year service?
What spec weight oil is approved or does Porsche use some special oil?
Is there an updated version for the front diffs?

I am having some strange whanning sound and feel from the front but want to say flat spots on the tires since it sat for 6 or 7 months at one time, no other creepy sounds otherwise. The sound from inside is like an off road tire that you can hear going down the street, goes away after 30mph. If you stay at a constant 15 to 20 mph it's really their and worse coming to a stop.

The car only has 20k. I can live with it if it's tires, just want to hear some observations before I bring it in
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
paulwu
AutoX

Originally Posted by danboy
have already changed the whole dive sharf mate.
thanks.
dan
Exact same thing here with grinding noise coming from front end; changed everything already except differential. Went to stealer and almost confirmed is the diff. Shame.. This is a big job!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM
paulwu
AutoX

[QUOTE=paulwu;10226223]Exact same thing here with grinding noise coming from front end; changed everything already except differential. Went to stealer and almost confirmed is the diff. Shame.. This is a big job! By the way; it is a my04 pig-s.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Make sure it isn't wheel/tire related before dropping serious money, I was certain I had a wheel bearing issue and after new shoes, alignment, and road force balancing it's completely gone.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As you proceed into more complex and unfamiliar components, the chances for unintended consequences rise geometrically. I advise that you avail yourself of a trained Cayenne tech. Throwing new parts at it until the noise goes away will get you a lot of unneeded new parts and a crater in the checking account.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM
porscheiceland
2nd Gear

Hello, i have a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S. 114.000KM

And there have been someproblems with my front differential(was making bad clicking and knocking sound when in a Hard right/left tutn)

Okei so i put in a new frontdiff and got the car back from the shop. Started the car it was perfect no more sound when turning much quicker acceleration time. And then lika 30-45Min into the test drive i stop at a red light abd wait for like 15seconds, Then when i step on the petel it starts shaking an knocking forward until i hit like 35km/h then it getta over this horrible knocking locking sound.
But when this sound starts i just put the car in (N) and it stops, then back in (D) again and i try to accelerate this clonck clonck sound starts.

I have 1. Error reading:

F0011 Camshaft timing retard(Bank)1
Target value not atteind

Do you think this is making this sound? I also changed the electric motor in the front differential.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
jetmax
Track Day

I am getting a knocking noise from the front. It started on hard acceleration and now does it on all acceleration. Just took it a shop that check the CV joints on the 1/2 shafts. He recommended taking to dealer

About 3 months ago I did the EPS driveshaft support and damper fix with no issues.

Could it be the front differential? Only other thing I can think of is the transfer case.

2004 Cayenne S 164k miles
Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 AM
jetmax
Track Day

I took a little video and it appears the sound is coming form the transfer case behind the transmission. I took more video and found the control arm moves quite a bit and was thinking it was getting misaligned and making the noise. Check out the control arm bushing and you can also see the subframe bushing has moved as well.
Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

As far as changing the fluid a lot of us guys on here (do a search) have changed all fluids and way prior to 160K. I did mine ('06 Turbo S) at about 60K. The Diff fluid was well used up already and that seems like the concensus of a lot of guys. So by Porsche's 160K change the fluid is toasted and too late to bother I would think in many cases. My tranny fluid was not too bad but I wouldn't have wanted to wait until even 100K. The transfer case fluid was going bad too. Not as bad as the Diff fluid but definitely not close to new. Also, it seems like from a few fluid change posts that the front fluid tends to be as bad if not worse than the rear in many cases? Who knows why. If you go over to Renntech, the 2nd sticky in the Cayenne forum is one on fluid changes and you can get a lot of info there so I won't repeat it here.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:13 PM
jetmax
Track Day

Changed upper/lower control arms, tie rods, sway bar drop links, and front 1/2 shafts. After alignment took it to transmission shop who diagnosed a slipping chain. Week later he called to state he could not get a chain. Suggested taking to dealer to buy his $3300 part, or $1000 to $1500 used one.
I'm about to take the differential out myself if I can locate a chain and seal kit. Can anyone help with this search?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM
jetmax
Track Day

Differential out. Had to support trans pan to free up the diff.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jetmax; 10-26-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
jetmax
Track Day

I need help finding the transfer case parts:
BK470 Bearing Kit
TSK470 Gasket and Seal kit
HV-082 Chain ( I have located this)
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts