cayenne diff problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
danboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cayenne diff problem??

hi all,
i had a noise coming from what i thaught to be the right front wheel bearing so changed it,
noise was still there so changed it again.......
still there so changed the drive shaft.......
still there so changed the discs and pads as they were on there way out anyway.....
still there so im starting to think it may be the front diff?
has anyone heard of any diff problems on cayenne's? it is a 4.5 cayenne S.
thanks alot.
dan
Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what kind of noise are you hearing
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I haven't heard of any problems with the differential.

Throwing parts at this issue sounds like an expensive way to diagnose a problem. Might be time for a trip to the mechanic...
Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 PM
danboy
Track Day

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
what kind of noise are you hearing
its a speed related noise that seems to be at its worst at low speeds. sounds like a wheel bearing still but i have already fitted 2 genuine ones.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any metal particles in the oil?
If you are correct and based on the sounds/feel, I would imagine by now there are metal particles in the oil.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

I have seen maybe 1-2 bad diffs, and they werent for road noise. Transfercase would be more likely, you may need to bite the bullet and take it to a shop.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danboy
its a speed related noise that seems to be at its worst at low speeds. sounds like a wheel bearing still but i have already fitted 2 genuine ones.

Clearly one of the weirdest threads to date. Based on the first post, some of us could only assume that this vehicle had been carjacked, or otherwise stolen. Thus the lack of initial responses. It takes only a passing knowledge of English to understand why, so I won't explain it.

Now the problem is that although we seem to be speaking English for the first time, we are missing some information. Reading between the lines, it seems that you are saying that the noise is related to vehicle speed, and not engine RPM. Are you SURE that this is the case? When can you hear it best? When braking? (I mean, uhh, "breaking") When turning? Do you hear it when you are idling near a wall with the window down? It would be helpful to know under what conditions you really hear this noise clearly and then the best description you can provide as to what it sounds like.

I really doubt that there is any "major" problem that can be traced back to VEHICLE speed. Problems, maybe. But killer problems, unlikely. It's more likely to be related to ENGINE rpm and could be just a belt, although it could be a semi-expensive accesssory (uhhh, I mean "Axsessorie")
Old 04-24-2009, 05:42 AM
danboy
Track Day

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Clearly one of the weirdest threads to date. Based on the first post, some of us could only assume that this vehicle had been carjacked, or otherwise stolen. Thus the lack of initial responses. It takes only a passing knowledge of English to understand why, so I won't explain it.

Now the problem is that although we seem to be speaking English for the first time, we are missing some information. Reading between the lines, it seems that you are saying that the noise is related to vehicle speed, and not engine RPM. Are you SURE that this is the case? When can you hear it best? When braking? (I mean, uhh, "breaking") When turning? Do you hear it when you are idling near a wall with the window down? It would be helpful to know under what conditions you really hear this noise clearly and then the best description you can provide as to what it sounds like.

I really doubt that there is any "major" problem that can be traced back to VEHICLE speed. Problems, maybe. But killer problems, unlikely. It's more likely to be related to ENGINE rpm and could be just a belt, although it could be a semi-expensive accesssory (uhhh, I mean "Axsessorie")
sorry if my english isnt 100% but not all of us went to cambridge!!!

definatly a speed related noise, had the car on a ramp in drive and all the wheels but the left front turn, there is a noise coming from the point the drive shaft goes into, like a knocking sound, only heard this with a stethescope.... (excuse the spelling once again)!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I visited Cambridge once... it was lovely...
Old 04-24-2009, 08:18 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Wheels off the ground the diff will make all kinds of noise as there is nothing to hold preload on the gears. You have to remove the psm relay, then run it up in a high gear, and have to l hold 100% steady, other wise your chasing ghosts
The following users liked this post:
John Burr (07-16-2021)
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Just a guess here...... Now you mention a popping noise when turning...... This is usually associated with a CV joint.

Did you look at the front outer shaft boots and see if they were clean and dry? If not, then you may have a CV joint going bad. I've never heard them "grind" but the popping is consistent.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen one or two differentials making a bearing type noise, due to what turned out to be the bearing on the outer drivers side of the differential, just inside where the C/V axle would mount.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:28 AM
danboy
Track Day

Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
I have seen one or two differentials making a bearing type noise, due to what turned out to be the bearing on the outer drivers side of the differential, just inside where the C/V axle would mount.
thanks for everybodys reply's

is this a replaceable part then or will it be a new diff?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 AM
danboy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Scott C
Just a guess here...... Now you mention a popping noise when turning...... This is usually associated with a CV joint.

Did you look at the front outer shaft boots and see if they were clean and dry? If not, then you may have a CV joint going bad. I've never heard them "grind" but the popping is consistent.
have already changed the whole dive sharf mate.
thanks.
dan
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
You dont know Jonny Hopkins!!

thanks for everybodys reply's

is this a replaceable part then or will it be a new diff?
Replace the front diff. Make shure you get the right one!! They are different between the 6 banger, "S" and "Turbo". The 6 banger is the lower ratio, "s" is the middle and turbo is the tallest. I could post the exact ratio's but I forgot to bring my 9PA new product book home. FYI they kinda suck to change out. Not shure one would want to attempt this in the garage at home. You have to hold your tounge just right, drop f-bombs at just the right time, and will need a second set of hands for shure!

Quick Reply: cayenne diff problem??