Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase an 04 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to purchase an 04 CTT

Hello all..I've checked out this CTT twice already doing visual inspections.http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...1&aff=nationalI have not driven it yet. It would mean the world to me if any of you would be able to compile a list of detailed things i should look for visually and while driving it..questions i should ask..etc.. I am really interested in this particular vehicle and hope it will teach me to love porsche. Hopefully i can gather and use much of your knowledge to help me purchase it. THANKS ALL !

-Mike
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to say that an 04 with so little history could be buying a money trap. To many small but now very expensive problems out of warranty. Try to get more information from original owner.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Thanks for your input ! The more i know the better.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...AC29P44LA91574

Here is the free carfax supplied with the sale ad. Any opinions. I am extremely new to buying used cars. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The carfax looks ok but the real story is how on top of things was the original owner. There were many problems that were fixable under warranty but if they were not could prove very expensive. Find the original owner
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Something that interests me is how it came from florida to nj. However, the dealer might have just seen it as an opportunity to good to pass. Also in the carfax, the vehicle type is "Corporate fleet". Based on some research it can be a good or bad thing. It can be a rental or corporate/business vehicle. Knowing that can either mean it was well maintained and most issues were taken care of or it was beat. We'll see how the test drive goes. I will ask if it would be possible to contact the original owner. MUDMAN2, thanks so much, you've been a great help. Anymore of your input would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mudman2
The carfax looks ok but the real story is how on top of things was the original owner. There were many problems that were fixable under warranty but if they were not could prove very expensive. Find the original owner
Are there any that can be seen during my visual or test drive ? sorry for so many questions.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpevo8
Are there any that can be seen during my visual or test drive ? sorry for so many questions.
With the VIN in hand, you should be able to obtain from your local Porsche dealer the list of all work done under warranty. This would give you some clues as to the past issues and how or if they were addressed.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STATMAN
With the VIN in hand, you should be able to obtain from your local Porsche dealer the list of all work done under warranty. This would give you some clues as to the past issues and how or if they were addressed.
Right on ! Never thought of that. Im so new to buying used cars. That will definitely be on my to do list in the next few days.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It would mean the world to me if any of you would be able to compile a list of detailed things i should look for visually and while driving it..questions i should ask..etc..
There isn't enough time and disk space in the universe.....

I am really interested in this particular vehicle and hope it will teach me to love porsche. THANKS ALL !
-Mike
If you want to be taught how to love Porsche, might I suggest a different forum.
The Cayenne will teach you to love VAG, not really PAG....at least based on parts content and labor content.

P.S. Since MadFox isn't here......might I suggest STFF(STTF)
Sincerely,
Larry (yes, I know I'm dead, you don't have to remind me)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
No personal experience but from what I've heard (from many sources) dealers won't provide this info unless you own the car and the work was done at that dealer. PCNA must tell you if there are any outstanding Recalls on the vehicle but don't expect much (if anything) in the way of service history.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
No personal experience but from what I've heard (from many sources) dealers won't provide this info unless you own the car and the work was done at that dealer. PCNA must tell you if there are any outstanding Recalls on the vehicle but don't expect much (if anything) in the way of service history.
IIRC, there was only one official recall, the infamous A506 Cowboy Belt Buckle recall.
Everything else is just a TSB.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a had 04 it was a good car don't go nit pickin it now. now i have an 06

costas
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
My experience with my local dealer has been that they can provide you with warranty work and/or recall work if it was done at a Porsche dealer. They cannot provide you with any other routine service, like oil changes. The local dealer keeps that information.

Buying a 2004 CTT with little or no service history would make me nervous. Very very nervous.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

This is very interesting. Fairfileld motors in CT had a very similar 1 owner car from Florida. I think it is this exact car, since I test drove it back in December. It was silver, gray interior, the same wheels, mileage, etc.

It had some damage to the tires and the front bumper etc. Fairfield motors would not certify it since it needed about $6-7K worth of work. The last I heard was that they wholesaled it in December. Since it is now located in NJ, I think it is the same car. Fairfield wanted $35-37K for it. I would be cautious.

Hello all..I've checked out this CTT twice already doing visual inspections.http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...1&aff=nationalI have not driven it yet. It would mean the world to me if any of you would be able to compile a list of detailed things i should look for visually and while driving it..questions i should ask..etc.. I am really interested in this particular vehicle and hope it will teach me to love porsche. Hopefully i can gather and use much of your knowledge to help me purchase it. THANKS ALL !

-Mike

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase an 04 CTT