Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase an 04 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My experience with my local dealer has been that they can provide you with warranty work and/or recall work if it was done at a Porsche dealer. They cannot provide you with any other routine service, like oil changes. The local dealer keeps that information.

Buying a 2004 CTT with little or no service history would make me nervous. Very very nervous.
I think the level of cooperation varies greatly dealer by dealer and I suspect your relationship (if any) with the dealer will play a part.

I'm almost positive I've had this discussion with my local dealer and was told the same thing you stated about warranty/recall work visibility only.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

You may be able to talk to the dealership to see if the saleman is willing to drive the car to the PPI site. They maybe willing since if things go good, they will make a sale.

Not to discourage you, but as others have suggested, the 2004 year is called a beta year, and this particular one you are interested in is an early model 04. You may want to keep looking for one, maybe from a Porsche dealer.

Originally Posted by mpevo8
You are correct. I just recieved an email back from autosport. The only problem know i seeing if they will let me do a PPI. Seems like a fair price to me.

"Unfortunately, are techs are not able to do off site inspections. We would be happy to perform the service for you here, at our shop, if you are able to bring the vehicle. Cost for the PPI is $95.00.

Regards

Autosport Performance

311 w. Forrest Avenue

Englewood, NJ 07631

Phone: 201.816.0911

Fax: 201.816.7337

Email: autosportpeformance@verizon.net
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In such a strong buyer's market, surely it's better to find an '05?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it's true that an 05 would probably be worth waiting for, I personally would not be overly concerned about getting all the service records (although they would be nice, especially maintenance records, i.e. did they ever change the oil, etc). A lot of you will start groaning by this comment, but face it, it's a used car and they average person does not have the means to know everything about the quirky Cayenne.

The things you want to know most are, was this thing wrecked before and is it a lemon? Carfax is fairly reliable to tell you both (e.g. if the car is almost 5 yrs old and was one owner, it wasnt a lemon).

My experience with p car in particular is, good luck trying to get the service records prior to buying a used one unless youre good with photoshop and falsifying documents (which is likely illegal). I tried four dealerships and got the same answer from all:
- Service/maintenance records are only maintained at the place of service (except recalls which anyone will give you)
- Must prove ownership

See the question is, even if you had the service records (maintenance ones aside), would you know what to look for? There are hundreds of TSBs but what does that really mean? I did get all the service records to my 04 CS (built 3/03) after I bought it and the only things I learned were: 1) it was maintenanced according to manual, and 2) nothing ever went wrong with it other than one complaint about low coolant level.

Now what's reality? I wished the last owner would of had ever applicable TSB performed because every common Cayenne problem mine has had and I've paid for most of them (and let me tell you none are related to the coolant level
). Would service records have helped me out in deciding to buy the car if I didn't know as much as I know now and haven't driven it everday for the past 6 months? Nope.

Good luck...buying any used car that has no warranty is like rolling the dice. Who knows, maybe there's a member on here with a perfect 04 they'd sell you.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wirunner
While it's true that an 05 would probably be worth waiting for, I personally would not be overly concerned about getting all the service records (although they would be nice, especially maintenance records, i.e. did they ever change the oil, etc). A lot of you will start groaning by this comment, but face it, it's a used car and they average person does not have the means to know everything about the quirky Cayenne.

The things you want to know most are, was this thing wrecked before and is it a lemon? Carfax is fairly reliable to tell you both (e.g. if the car is almost 5 yrs old and was one owner, it wasnt a lemon).

My experience with p car in particular is, good luck trying to get the service records prior to buying a used one unless youre good with photoshop and falsifying documents (which is likely illegal). I tried four dealerships and got the same answer from all:
- Service/maintenance records are only maintained at the place of service (except recalls which anyone will give you)
- Must prove ownership

See the question is, even if you had the service records (maintenance ones aside), would you know what to look for? There are hundreds of TSBs but what does that really mean? I did get all the service records to my 04 CS (built 3/03) after I bought it and the only things I learned were: 1) it was maintenanced according to manual, and 2) nothing ever went wrong with it other than one complaint about low coolant level.

Now what's reality? I wished the last owner would of had ever applicable TSB performed because every common Cayenne problem mine has had and I've paid for most of them (and let me tell you none are related to the coolant level
). Would service records have helped me out in deciding to buy the car if I didn't know as much as I know now and haven't driven it everday for the past 6 months? Nope.

Good luck...buying any used car that has no warranty is like rolling the dice. Who knows, maybe there's a member on here with a perfect 04 they'd sell you.
Thanks for your input. Is there a for sale section on this site ? I cant seem to find it. That would be a better idea however it has to be a turbo. I have an ill disease for speed.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 PM
wirunner
Pro

I'm not sure about this site. Try Renntech.org they have a for sale section and you can post a wanted ad.

But I wouldn't be too scared away from any cayenne you find that looks good after you have it inspected (assuming a clean carfax/possible records). This Cayenne forum tends to post the more gloomy look into the cayenne, esp 04s. Plus some of the common cayenne problems are easy to fix, esp if you're a DIYer (things like coils, etc). I bet you can get an awesome deal on the glut of 04's for sale (vs. some newer years). I got such a good deal, I got a sales tax audit by the State of WI - they said the price was significantly lower than the ave wholesale price for the vehicle. HAHA Go "steal" one off some desperate used car lot.

Another thing I thought of: check the owners manual maintenance book for markings from previous service visits - P dealers are supposed to mark each visit and service performed - mine did for about 75%.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

" (e.g. if the car is almost 5 yrs old and was one owner, it wasnt a lemon)."

That statement may not always be true, not that I have any personal experience with such high flying legal type stuff,honest, I'm just saying is all.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 PM
wirunner
Pro

I do think it would be relatively safe to assume (as best you can when buying a used vehicle) that if registration records showed one owner for 5 years that it is not a lemon, at least in the legal sense of the word. Most people I know who have had true lemons (lemon law varies state to state) returned them within 2 years, not 5.

Or, you could simply look in the glove box or manual for previous owner's name and address. It's probably there- then call and ask.

Originally Posted by mudman2
" (e.g. if the car is almost 5 yrs old and was one owner, it wasnt a lemon)."

That statement may not always be true, not that I have any personal experience with such high flying legal type stuff,honest, I'm just saying is all.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I do think it would be relatively safe to assume that if registration records showed one owner for 5 years that it is not a lemon, at least in the legal sense of the word. Most people I know who have had true lemons (lemon law varies state to state) returned them within 2 years, not 5..
This just in from Larry....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum programming.
Thank you.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
This just in from Larry....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum programming.
Thank you.
Follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Complete service records are by no means a panacea for all the potential issues with a beta Cayenne, but they still can be very important. If the service records show nothing notable, then you have a better chance of having a vehicle with fewer problems. On the other hand, if the service records show a host of past problems, it might be a car to avoid. If you have no service records, you have to assume:

1. The records show something that the seller doesn't want you to see, and therefore they are "not available".

or

2. The seller knows nothing about the history of the vehicle. Could be good, could be bad. Is it worth the risk on a model with a known history of some issues?

or

3. The seller simply doesn't care about the car enough to document the history. Is this really the type of person from which you want to by a used Porsche? I think not.

I have every record on my Cayenne, starting from the delivery. It's not hard to put receipts in a binder. FWIW, my 2004 Cayenne has been a great vehicle. Sure, it has had a few minor issues here and there, but overall very good. There are good ones out there to be had, but there are bad ones too. Why take a chance?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
wirunner
Pro

My point was I think that statement is not true (at least not on an 04 cayenne). I'll send you my cayenne and all its original service records if you dont believe me I think on a beta cayenne I'd prefer the opposite - or I wouldn't be scared away by one that had the coils, driveshaft, keys, yada yada replaced. I'd rather someone else, i.e. porsche, paid for all the annoying common problems. I bet all 04s experience nearly all the exact problems. I think this website proves it since you hear the same 5-10 problems over and over and over. At least production quality is incredibly consistent.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Complete service records are by no means a panacea for all the potential issues with a beta Cayenne, but they still can be very important. If the service records show nothing notable, then you have a better chance of having a vehicle with fewer problems. On the other hand, if the service records show a host of past problems, it might be a car to avoid. If you have no service records, you have to assume:

1. The records show something that the seller doesn't want you to see, and therefore they are "not available".

or

2. The seller knows nothing about the history of the vehicle. Could be good, could be bad. Is it worth the risk on a model with a known history of some issues?

or

3. The seller simply doesn't care about the car enough to document the history. Is this really the type of person from which you want to by a used Porsche? I think not.

I have every record on my Cayenne, starting from the delivery. It's not hard to put receipts in a binder. FWIW, my 2004 Cayenne has been a great vehicle. Sure, it has had a few minor issues here and there, but overall very good. There are good ones out there to be had, but there are bad ones too. Why take a chance?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

My point was I think that statement is not true (at least not on an 04 cayenne). I'll send you my cayenne and all its original service records if you dont believe me I think on a beta cayenne I'd prefer the opposite - or I wouldn't be scared away by one that had the coils, driveshaft, keys, yada yada replaced. I'd rather someone else, i.e. porsche, paid for all the annoying common problems. I bet all 04s experience nearly all the exact problems. I think this website proves it since you hear the same 5-10 problems over and over and over. At least production quality is incredibly consistent.
Not all...

My 2004 CS has never had a problem with coils, cardan shaft, transmission, etc. Heck, the keyless entry remote controls even have decent range, and my rear hatch stays open, even in cold weather. My biggest complaint was the nav system, and now that the update is out, that's even good.

I've replaced the battery, and a few other small things, but so far it has been a very good vehicle.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2004 TT Pepper has been trouble free, all service have been done to the schedule requirements. The only thing that they the dealer did during the last service was replace the the lifts for the rear hatch ( I think it was ok too me before I took it in for service.) The only thing you need to know going in/ buying one is as with any Porsche not cheap the maintain/major gas hog ( that is a driver issue per the dealer ) I do have a heavy foot..... I have a doctors appointment coming up soon for this issues.....
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest to you the 04 turbo is a good car I also have had a trouble free one.

My 06 CTTS has had a few little things with mean there's good a bad in all. But I think some issues are dew to the drivers habits I have seen a car that I told someone NOT to buy because its a troubled car but then the new owner has had no problems with it,so to me I think a car or most cars are ruined to peoples "nit picking" on small things.

costas

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase an 04 CTT