Sponsored by:

Cayenne Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
keithfox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Opinions

My 2005 CayenneS lease goes back this spring. It has been trouble free (other than light bulbs and occaisonal radio that did not want to play).

In the fall I want to get a replacement vehicle. I had originally been thinking about an AWD BMW 3 Series, had one before and really liked it.

I do really like the Cayenne for winter (I have summer P-cars) and am giving it another thought -- and would like to solicit opinions.

The original Cayenne (V6) seemed under powered to me. What are the opinions on the new one with the bigger engine? Does it have enough grunt to not feel under-powered?

Then there is the Diesel and Hybrid. Not sure if they will be here in the fall or not (North america) but curious on opinions on these two as an option. The Diesel would add some low-end torque to the V6 and give it greater range which would be nice. I did some reading on the Hybrid system Porsche chose and it seems well thought out.

Anyway, interested in all opions. Of course I could go back to an S. Turbo, GTS and Turbos S are not options mostly based on price.

Thanks
Keith
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,534 Likes on 959 Posts

I think you'll find the new V6 to be vastly improved compared to the original, but if you've been driving an S all this time, you probably will want another S.

Hybrid Cayennes are always good for a "hot" conversation around here. Really hot. Flaming hot.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fore !
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
cayenne-kimo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Fore !
Getting ready to spew wisdom upon us all oh Mighty one?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cayenne-kimo
Getting ready to spew wisdom upon us all oh Mighty one?
No, just an old forum tradition when someone 'hangs a slow curve ball' question out there.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW and IMHO, I wouldn't buy new, unless you are ignoring depreciation by entering into a long term marriage with the pig (scary just to type that)

So, it would make more sense to perhaps buy (if you are buying and not leasing) a fully depreciated yet fully protected (by the new uBer CPO warranty) "gently owned, only driven by an old lady to church on Sundays" CPO pig, S or Turbo version....depending on if you own stock in ExxonMobil.

Certainly not a shortage of broken in pigs taking up space at dealer lots.....they would be glad if anyone would take them away.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on what you will be using it for, the new V6 is a big improvement over the original and might meet your needs. Try one out and see for yourself if you can make the switch to a V6 from a V8. The market is moving to the V6, they have been holding up better in terms of resale prices compared to the V8 and there are plenty around that are less than a year old with full CPO. I purchased a two month old V6, saving almost $15,000 from the original sticker price. Mine is very well equipped. I would only look at a 2008 and newer to get into the new body style and latest updates including the very fun sport setting!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 AM
cayenne-kimo
Intermediate

Or you can buy a fully equipped '05 Cayenne Turbo for less than a CPO '08 Cayenne V6. You decide how much fun you want to have!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:19 AM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't get passed the sloppy tranny no matter how much power you have.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:57 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

There are som great deals on CPO Cayennes. I've owned BMWs too, and I really think that you will miss your Cayenne. Don't rule out a CPO 05 Turbo too. I just picked one up and I truly love it!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned the AWD BMW 3 for one winter, and now have a '09 V6 Cayenne. The BMW wasn't much good on the roads here in the winter. When they run out of money here they stop plowing and the berms in between where the tires run get 6-8 inches pretty quick. The berms appear to freeze at the height of the majority of vehicles driving over them, around here thats 4WD pickups and the BMW wasn't useable - it sits too close to the road. I've stuck with the stock all season tires on the Cayenne - not sure what brand they are - and so far with our 68 inches of snow they've done great. That little SUV is like a mountain goat,it climbs up the hill to the house without any problems. I'm very happy with it in the winter.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

996 C4S
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
keithfox
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback.

The 'Lease vs buy' comments. If I got another I'd lease not buy so depreciation is less of an issue - but it all shows up in the residual which jacks the payment so...

The 'sloppy gear change' comment. Agreed it is, but it's not a sports car so I am 'ok' with it, but I really do wish they would clean it up.

The 'bmw ride height' comment. Yeah. I have had rear-wheel drive 3's and even with great snows HakkaQ's, blizzaks, whatever, they still got stuck. I do have some neighbours with the 3'xi's so I will be checking with them too

The 'mountain goat' comment. Yeah. It does go thru everything. I also like the first low reduction gear, but wish you go go just a bit faster in it !

The 'all season tire' comment. I put snow's on mine. They are a definite and noticeble improvement and since you are going to go thru tires anyway, might was well save some tread in the winter and switch to the better paws.

Anyway - what thoughts on the coming Diesel? Probably of more interest in Europe. Anyone from over the pond want to comment ?

Thanks
Keith
Old 01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yetis
996 C4S
A Targa 4S would be more practical, given the rear hatchback/liftgate.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test drive a Cayenne Turbo, it will put a smile on your face. My previous Cayenne was the S and traded up after 2 years once I test drove the Turbo.
I am not an SUV type, but the Turbo does make me look forward to driving it.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Opinions