** Need Cayenne owners experience/advice **

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Yosek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** Need Cayenne owners experience/advice **

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. Having being a previous Porsche owner of two Porsche's, I can't get Porsche out of my blood. Why would I? The time has come for me to get into the Cayenne.

I would appreciate Cayenne owners to tell me of their experience's with their Cayennes. I wish to purchase a 2006 Cayenne S. I've read enough on the internet to know to stay away from the 2003-2005 years. Many issues with the engines. How much better is the 2006. Did Porsche resolve many of the past issues?

What do I want to use the car for? Daily driver for me and the wife. We put on average 10k miles on our current vehicle per year. I want a trouble free vehicle (Porsche cars of the past were far from that! My 944's kept me in the poor house) I accept the fact that the Cayenne is heavy, and it is not exactly a top fuel efficient vehicle. I'm not concerned about that. What I would like help with is your experiences, and assistance in telling me what I can expect as a 2006 Cayenne S owner. Will I be in the shop more than twice a year, and will my repairs keep me broke.

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to drop me an email.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

Yosek,

If you look around on this board a little you'll find the common issues. The engines are not the problem. For the most part, the engines (especially on the Cayenne S) have been pretty good. You'll occasionally get some high oil comsumption, and there are stories about larger failures (as there are with many other vechicles).

A 2006 Cayenne S should be a good daily driver, especially with only 10K per year.

I drive a 2004 Cayenne S every day, and I have had no major issues. I have had a few minor ones - battery replacement (twice) and a few others, but in general the car has been great.

Look for a CPO car if you can find one, or look for a good extended warranty. You should be able to find a 2006 with around 20,000 miles with a warranty that lasts into 2010.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Yosek
Track Day

Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your input. In no way is this a knock against your 2004. I just got off the phone with a Porsche dealership, and I was speaking with their service center manager. He advised me to go with a 2006 and above. What's more, he said that many issues of the 2003-2005 years were ironed out. He said this went for the VW Touareg as well.

I will definitely look for a CPO Cayenne S, along with a warranty. Again, thanks for your input!

Yosek
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

Don't worry... I wasn't taking it as a knock against the 2004 - they do have more issues than a 2006. That being said, the 2006 models are not immune to problems. That's why I suggested the warranty and/or CPO car.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2006 V6 has done well. 40k mi before it needed front brakes. change the oil every 20K. the S should be even better.
My only real issue was the radio not holding presets when we switched drivers. A new radio w/ updated firmware solved that problem.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Yosek
Track Day

The V6 eh. Yeah, I've heard that they are great for daily drivers, however, lack a little power for towing and off road.

Thanks for all your replies to date everyone. Keep em coming!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just wondering if Larry is too busy in heaven?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:42 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yosek
The V6 eh. Yeah, I've heard that they are great for daily drivers, however, lack a little power for towing and off road.

Thanks for all your replies to date everyone. Keep em coming!
With the cat bypass and BMC filter the pedal response is much better...if I turn PCM off I get a lot better throttle. Even though I have the tow package, I've never towed anything. Sometimes I think about an S or TT, but it's my wife's car, and she really doesn't care.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I've read enough on the internet to know to stay away from the 2003-2005 years. Many issues with the engines.
I'm not aware of any engine issues. I think that's an unfair statement. The most serious issues that did exist were Cardin shafts, plenum tube and pencil coils. There were a host of annoying "creature feature" issues....too many to mention, most of which have been sorted out by 2006.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an '06 **** Ed with about 20K miles. I tow with it, and it has been quite reliable. Towing just accelerates the way the truck eats tires and brake pads.

Other than a creaky speaker and pencil coils, my S has been great (KNOCK WOOD)!

I just left a message about my S ownership experience on Larry's answering machine... (meds go down better with a cold one)
Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I have an '06 S, and other than having to replace the coils it has been virtually flawless. (64,000 miles).

It is a daily driver, and as you can tell my the miles, a work horse.

Tremdous in the rain and snow, and a blast to drive when the weather is clear, especially on the highway.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello everyone.
Good bye

This is my first post to this forum. Having being a previous Porsche owner of two Porsche's, I can't get Porsche out of my blood. Why would I? The time has come for me to get into the Cayenne..
Sorry to hear that.

I've read enough on the internet to know to stay away from the 2003-2005 years. Many issues with the engines..
Perhaps you are confusing issues with the M96/M97 engines in the Boxster/Carreras regarding RMS (rear main seal). The Cayenne engines (coils and ECU F/W aside) have not had issues. As a matter of fact, it was the Cayenne RMS design that was used to help with M96/M97 RMS issues.

How much better is the 2006. Did Porsche resolve many of the past issues?.
Of course they did.

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to drop me an email.
Go away and buy a Touareg
Old 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
CharlieJr
Burning Brakes

Having being a previous Porsche owner of two Porsche's, I can't get Porsche out of my blood.
"A Porsche owner of Porsche's". Imagine that!!

j/k Welcome to rennlist and good luck with you purchase.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Rough crowd.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will I be in the shop more than twice a year
Yes - if you will let the dealer do oil & brakes. Yes - because no one REALLY knows, despite 2006s being much better than earlier models.

and will my repairs keep me broke.
Most likely.

The safest bet with the Cayenne is to ALWAYS go for a brand new one.

Last edited by EnigmaWmn; 08-02-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: ** Need Cayenne owners experience/advice **