Sponsored by:

** Need Cayenne owners experience/advice **

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default as a friend said

about owning an airplane when i asked how much money it took to fly...

he replied "all of it".

naked ownership of a porsche appears to be in the same league, without the exhilarating liftoff at the end of the runway...or not, on occasion.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Yosek
The V6 eh. Yeah, I've heard that they are great for daily drivers, however, lack a little power for towing and off road.

Thanks for all your replies to date everyone. Keep em coming!
If you are going to tow, be sure to get one with the tow hitch installed already. Getting one afterward is very expensive compared to other makes.

If you are going to offroad, I suggest you look into a V6 with 17" wheels. To my understanding, V8 have bigger brake caliper and the smallest wheel you can put on is 18". Last I checked, I was only able to find one 18" all terrain tire. None for 19" or 20". For the 17" however, there were quite a few you can choose from.

Although I have not driven the 08+ V6, I have heard a lot of good things about it and it is much more powerful now. So for the price of an used 06 S, I would look into a brand new 08 or 09 V6.

Lastly, get one with PASM, I wish I did.

Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look hard at these threads, I would submit that the number of problems with the later model cars (2006 and beyond) are actually few and far between.

In contrast, if oyu meander over to the 996 board, the discussion about the wide range of problems for relatively late model cars is really disheartening.

The earlier, so -called "alpha and beta" model owners have lots to complain about. But if you go for a more more recent vintage you should be good to go (other than certain, known issues with respect to which you can simply check the service history of your car).

Mad Fox would be good to hear from on this point, as he's had the old and the new...

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
Mad Fox would be good to hear from on this point, as he's had the old and the new... Good luck.
You rang?!

Put over 70K miles on '04 S and traded it after doing a lot of research on competition and seeing how the '06's did the first year of supposed "fixing" by PAG. I bought a '06 Tit.S. in October '06 and thus it really was a '07 but then there was no '07 model year.. but I digress.........
I have no regrets over purchasing the "new" variant. I have close to 32K miles in 21+ months and only issue was the bass part of the horn failed and so for a week the thing sounded like a teen boy who's voice hadn't changed yet.. squeaky and high.. only other issue is a random PHC unavailable light that started when I installed a mObridge iPod/BT unit into the MOST ring.. my second Cayenne has been better service/warranty-wise than any new car that I've ever bought. No regrets but I still bought a 100K "top of the line" warranty through the dealership (more expensive, but you can come back against the dealer, at this point LTC usually cranks up the Hawaii 5 Oh theme song). Good Luck
Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cayenne Purchase

They are great vehicles. I was in an accident in my 2004 S 62K miles and it was totaled by State Farm who insured the OV. I took the proceeds and bought a 2006 S 51K Miles and CPO for $39,500 dealership in Virginia Beach. You should be able to acquire a good 2006 S CPO below $45K especially given the gas situation and SUV resale.

The Cayenne is a very safe vehicle as well. A Honda Civic ran a red light hitting my car. I was going maybe 5mph and she was doing every bit of 55mph cell phone texting as well! She was hurt and my wife and I walked away.
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 AM
JGriff
Racer

2005 Cayenne V6... now with 31k miles. No major issues... it has been one of the most reliable cars that I have ever owned. Have only done routine, scheduled oil changes and the 30k mile service. The 30k mile service didn't cost any more than the 30k mile service on our 2005 Honda Odyssey. Rear hatch struts were replaced under warranty (i.e. because I told them I thought that they were getting "lazy").

Overall, the car has been great to own and drive. So far, I have been very satisfied with it. I would definitely recommend one. As mentioned, consider a new V6 as an alternative to a used CPO. Drive them both, and then make the decision. That's what I did... I drove a CPO/loaner V8 S first, then the new V6 (at the time it was the first year for the V6), and I actually liked the V6 better. It felt more nimble... more tossable... lighter on its feet... better/quicker turn-in... it rode nicer than the S (due to front-end being 200 lbs lighter)... and I liked the sound of the engine better. Sure... there are times when I wish it had some more power (which they did with the latest V6), but for me, power/hp is not what it is all about. For me, it is about the total driving experience (i.e. power, handling, ride, turn-in etc.). I enjoy "working" the tiptronic to squeeze out all the power I can. (I always use the Tip in manual mode... it makes the driving experience more enjoyable... more engaging.)

There will be plenty of folks that disagree... and will bash the V6... but IMHO... "de gustibus non est disputandum" (i.e. there is no disputing about tastes).

Good luck in your decision.

Jim
Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I love my 955 S! I bought it brand new 12/24/03 = what a great X-mas present! I had my share of recalls and electrical gremlins to sort out and the dealer did a fine job with these issues and finally no more issues other than routine maintenance, Tires, 1/2 horn went out, leaking transmission seal, changed out Nav and CD changer X2, bulbs, wiper blades = mostly covered by warranty.

I have 111K miles on it (90% HWY) and I still have >50% on my original brake pads! The CS looks and drives even better than new and I plan to drive the wheels off of her (it's cheaper to keep her, like the song says! )!

I plan to buy another CS or GTS when need be, but so far so good (knock on wood).

Good Luck!

P.S.: there are some folks here that are CS Envy (i.e., ltc = don't mind those whiners you here )!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CS envy?

somehow i don't think so.

CS relief, maybe....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Yosek
Track Day

Originally Posted by ltc
Good bye

Sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you are confusing issues with the M96/M97 engines in the Boxster/Carreras regarding RMS (rear main seal). The Cayenne engines (coils and ECU F/W aside) have not had issues. As a matter of fact, it was the Cayenne RMS design that was used to help with M96/M97 RMS issues.

Of course they did.

Go away and buy a Touareg
Eh dude, why the **** poor attitude? I bet you're a really cool guy?! And nope, I'll pass. You go away, and don't be a jerk.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Yosek
Track Day

Originally Posted by bella1
They are great vehicles. I was in an accident in my 2004 S 62K miles and it was totaled by State Farm who insured the OV. I took the proceeds and bought a 2006 S 51K Miles and CPO for $39,500 dealership in Virginia Beach. You should be able to acquire a good 2006 S CPO below $45K especially given the gas situation and SUV resale.

The Cayenne is a very safe vehicle as well. A Honda Civic ran a red light hitting my car. I was going maybe 5mph and she was doing every bit of 55mph cell phone texting as well! She was hurt and my wife and I walked away.
Sorry to hear you were in an accident. Glad to hear you're ok.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Yosek
Track Day

Originally Posted by JGriff
2005 Cayenne V6... now with 31k miles. No major issues... it has been one of the most reliable cars that I have ever owned. Have only done routine, scheduled oil changes and the 30k mile service. The 30k mile service didn't cost any more than the 30k mile service on our 2005 Honda Odyssey. Rear hatch struts were replaced under warranty (i.e. because I told them I thought that they were getting "lazy").

Overall, the car has been great to own and drive. So far, I have been very satisfied with it. I would definitely recommend one. As mentioned, consider a new V6 as an alternative to a used CPO. Drive them both, and then make the decision. That's what I did... I drove a CPO/loaner V8 S first, then the new V6 (at the time it was the first year for the V6), and I actually liked the V6 better. It felt more nimble... more tossable... lighter on its feet... better/quicker turn-in... it rode nicer than the S (due to front-end being 200 lbs lighter)... and I liked the sound of the engine better. Sure... there are times when I wish it had some more power (which they did with the latest V6), but for me, power/hp is not what it is all about. For me, it is about the total driving experience (i.e. power, handling, ride, turn-in etc.). I enjoy "working" the tiptronic to squeeze out all the power I can. (I always use the Tip in manual mode... it makes the driving experience more enjoyable... more engaging.)

There will be plenty of folks that disagree... and will bash the V6... but IMHO... "de gustibus non est disputandum" (i.e. there is no disputing about tastes).

Good luck in your decision.

Jim
Thanks for your reply. I've been getting good replies as to the reliability of the CS. I've made my decision, and am now hunting for my first 2006 CS.

Thanks to everyone who have been CONSTRUCTIVE in their responses. It's definitely helped me out. I'll post my new CS when I purchase it.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my 05 CS for over 4 years and I should say with all the different issues and dealer visits, it has been the best family car I have ever owned. IMHO, it is the best family SUV for a driver that also looks for performance. I once got stopped, driving my wife's Volvo XC90, for suspicion of being under the influence while returning from an animated movie with my son. The ultra-soft suspension of XC90 makes the drive somewhat like riding a boat, it just floats left & right. Hate it.

As far as the maintenance Cayenne is no different than any other luxury, sports car...it will be expensive...so having a warranty is not even a question, either a brand new model or a recent model with low miles that has had the common issues fixed with future warranty.

I do plan to buy another Cayenne in future.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Sam
Old 08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Yosek
Eh dude, why the **** poor attitude? I bet you're a really cool guy?! And nope, I'll pass. You go away, and don't be a jerk.
OK, I'll go away and try and find out the real story behind the Cayenne engine issues, since you are obviously onto something.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=ljugete;5677483]P.S.: there are some folks here that are CS Envy (i.e., ltc = don't mind those whiners you here )!

OK, you're onto me. I guess I should keep my deposit/#1 position for the first Cayenne Hybrid.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

OK, you're onto me. I guess I should keep my deposit/#1 position for the first Cayenne Hybrid.
GO GREEN! GO GREEN! GO GREEN! WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sincerely,

The Larry for President Club

Quick Reply: ** Need Cayenne owners experience/advice **