Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about picking up a high mileage CTT, looking for advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about picking up a high mileage CTT, looking for advice...

I have recently noticed preowned SUV sales have absolutely plummeted. CTT's 03/04's can be had with 50 to 70K in the $30-35k range. I know maintance costs can creep up on people not as familiar with cars, as in...if your not an enthusiast and DIYer this probably isnt a car for you. I would definitely buy the car with a maintence budget in mind.
I still think these cars can go well over 100k if properly maintained and watched after. The car will be a low mileage daily driver then be a weekend/excurison vehicle. Also if I can expect 15 to 19 mpg thats just fine because it will take me a very long time to make up the difference in terms of cost of buying a more expensive less rewarding vehicle to drive

Input, advice, observations?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Example: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=19
Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
droptop
Pro

Default hmmm...

that's an interesting belief set you have there.

search is your friend. DIY doesn't help if the parts are incredibly expensive (or if there just isn't a solution). how are your fiberoptic ring troubleshooting skills?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,463 Likes on 917 Posts

AJN334,

The 2003 and 2004 Cayennes are more prone to issues than 2005 and later models. A search on this board will reveal the most common issues. There are certainly some good earlier models, but there are also some with major issues. Do your homework and be careful. Don't fall in love with one and buy it unless you are certain it has had proper maintenance, and the appropriate TSBs (technical service bulletins) from a Porsche dealer. If you don't have these assurances, I wouldn't buy it. I would suggest an extended warranty.

15 - 19 mpg is achievable if you are careful and you have a mix of city and highway driving. If you drive only in the city and if you have a lead foot (very likely with the turbo) then you may see numbers more like 13 - 14 mpg (or worse).

Good luck with your Cayenne search.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Originally Posted by droptop
that's an interesting belief set you have there.

search is your friend. DIY doesn't help if the parts are incredibly expensive (or if there just isn't a solution). how are your fiberoptic ring troubleshooting skills?
Never said I was a technical expert Anyone have a link to all the service bulletin page, not able to find much...
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
AJN334,

The 2003 and 2004 Cayennes are more prone to issues than 2005 and later models. A search on this board will reveal the most common issues. There are certainly some good earlier models, but there are also some with major issues. Do your homework and be careful. Don't fall in love with one and buy it unless you are certain it has had proper maintenance, and the appropriate TSBs (technical service bulletins) from a Porsche dealer. If you don't have these assurances, I wouldn't buy it. I would suggest an extended warranty.

15 - 19 mpg is achievable if you are careful and you have a mix of city and highway driving. If you drive only in the city and if you have a lead foot (very likely with the turbo) then you may see numbers more like 13 - 14 mpg (or worse).

Good luck with your Cayenne search.
Completely agree and I am familiar that earlier models have been less reliable. Just thought I'd share an observation, with current owners and get some input.

Does anyone have a CTT with over 100k, if so would love to hear your ownership experience...
Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
droptop
Pro

Default well...

here is a quote from a "soon to be former" owner...
Originally Posted by QKENUFF
Makes me feel better to know they have improved.

My 04 CTT has been a PITA for the past 4 years. Although only 37k mi, it stilll has shakey wheels. (after 4 visits to dealers) new coils (2X), software glitches, 3 new NAV units, rear hatch repair (3X) Unending beeps and warnings that can't be confirmed, or traced. Oh yeah.. and it sucks the oil like a Lawn-Boy (1QT/900 mi avg) It's going back to Porsche in two weeks for-good, and I still can't decide on a replacement. (Dealer says it will be auctioned and probably be sent to Russia)

Poor Russians !
new coils at 400 bucks x2 is 800
PCM nav/head unit 5000 X 3 15000
rear hatch repair 100 x 3 300
cardigan shaft 1800
transmission 17000
need i go on? how good was that deal?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by droptop
here is a quote from a "soon to be former" owner...

new coils at 400 bucks x2 is 800
PCM nav/head unit 5000 X 3 15000
rear hatch repair 100 x 3 300
cardigan shaft 1800
transmission 17000
need i go on? how good was that deal?
A great example of the need for knowing the car's history, and having a good extended warranty. I'd hate to buy that car from a dealer after a trade-in and not know about the history.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
A great example of the need for knowing the car's history, and having a good extended warranty. I'd hate to buy that car from a dealer after a trade-in and not know about the history.
I would never buy a vehicle with a sketchy past...

2nd, whats the best way to go about gettting service history? In my experience dealerships are less than honest and will lie to make money...

Last edited by AJN334; 07-10-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is going to be good

Hugs and Kisses,
Larry.....sunbathing at the base of the Cayenne cliff waiting for the next lemming
Old 07-10-2008, 11:52 PM
droptop
Pro

Originally Posted by AJN334
I would never buy a vehicle with a sketchy past...

2nd, whats the best way to go about gettting service history? In my experience dealerships are less than honest and will lie to make money...
not only that, my car after being forced back [human anatomy reference removed] under the lemmon law (and the watchful eye of the AR Attorney General's office), showed up in carfax as a "corporate return".

buying any used car is a leap of faith, you do your best due diligence and then you takes your chances. buying a car that generally has a horrible history of problems, with a parts cost that can charitably be called exorbitant.....is kinda like standing on a mountain top in a suit of copper armour in the middle of a thunderstorm, waving a sword at the sky and yelling that Thor's momma wears combat boots.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

If your dealer doesn't extend you the courtesy of showing you the history, then I wouldn't buy from them. There are laws that require them to remove the personal information related to the previous owner, but they should be able to give you the history.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as you can see, you woken the Cayennes two biggest cheerleaders. That said, as an owner of a "high mile", 05 CTT, I would just do a gut check, before making the deal. If you don't have a decent relationship with you local Porsche dealer, i would say that it is all in all, a bad idea. From what I can tell, you can get away with buying an older 911 with high miles, as there are dozens of indi shops, capable and willing to do most of the work required on the car. With the Cayenne, this just doesn't seem to be the case if not for the sole reason that EVERY thing done to this car, requires some sort of electrical reset. And without an up to date Porsche computer, your screwed.

Just my impression.

Not that I expect an honest answer, but Droptop, how is the ML treating you? I am hearing that they are having their share of typical MB issues.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 AM
droptop
Pro

Default wasn't me that got the ML

that was another cayenne/rennlist alumni...i know who you are talking about, but can't think of the guy's handle, was quite gung-ho on the MB idea.

me, i left the world of german engineering for the Infiniti FX45, which i am having a problem with at the moment (46,000 miles (in the past year)).

the seat squeaks. have to be in a high loading turn, but there is a definite squeak.

i don't know why i have so much bad luck, first the cayenne with the belts, hatch, transmission and PCM. finally ending with the dreaded "PHC Unavailable".

and now the FX, with the very intermittent seat squeak.....
Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Our 2004 C-TT has 141,000+ miles on it - a water pump, a carden shaft, coil packs and coolant tubes on the intake, other than that it's been normal service. T2

Quick Reply: Thinking about picking up a high mileage CTT, looking for advice...