Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake dust problem solved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I used EBC Redstuff and i do get the brake dust but its def less than OEM......heard yellowstuff is supposed to be better
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had great luck with the Yellowstuff performance wise but they do dust more than the Redstuff and EBC's website will confirm this. I had problem with Redstuff on my 911, the pads overheated easily and deposited pad material on the rotors and gave an unbalanced warped type of feeling. The Yellowstuff is a higher temp pad compared to the Redstuff. Yellowstuff is only about $10 more than the Redstuff.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:57 PM
GoonBug
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelToe
I did a search a while back to see what brake pads people have had success with to reduce brake dust on the Cayenne.
I didn't find much, so I did some digging and ended up with Hawk ceramic pads. Installation was typical Porsche simple - not race car simple like the 993, but pretty darn easy, nonetheless.
The results are impressive. I only changed the front pads, to see if they actually produced less dust, as advertised and now the stock rear pads produce far more nastiness than the fronts.

I've used EBC Green on motorcycles and smaller cars with excellent results, but they didn't work for me in a 3-series BMW or anyhting heavier. In fact, they wore out faster than stock and produced a lot more dust. Strange.

Anyway, I can at least confirm that Hawk Ceramics perform as advertsied. In a few months I'll see about longevity (pads and rotors).
If you do you some research into EBC Green stuff the compound in the pads is designed for vehicles that weigh under 3,000 lbs, or it may have been 2,500lbs. It's been awhile since I seen the info. I had them on my Audi S4 when I bought it. Which is right around 3,500lbs. They do wear out fast when on a heavier vehicle which I don't understand why I have seen them available for a CTT or the S4. Also when braking from higher speeds it seemed like they did nothing, But I'm not sure if it was the ABS was going off causing that issue no light on but I felt something in the pedal. It scared the crap out of me and I nearly missed my turn which I had no problems stopping from that speed in my GTI with the same pads. The rear pads on the Audi were actually the same part number as the rears for a VW GTi. The Red Stuff pads are rated for the heavier weight. I don't have the money in my budget to try them out but when I do I will more then likely go with EBC Red Stuff. I've seen from Audi forums that Hawks wear out rotors faster then EBC's.

Quick Reply: Brake dust problem solved?