Sponsored by:

Brake dust problem solved?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brake dust problem solved?

I did a search a while back to see what brake pads people have had success with to reduce brake dust on the Cayenne.
I didn't find much, so I did some digging and ended up with Hawk ceramic pads. Installation was typical Porsche simple - not race car simple like the 993, but pretty darn easy, nonetheless.
The results are impressive. I only changed the front pads, to see if they actually produced less dust, as advertised and now the stock rear pads produce far more nastiness than the fronts.

I've used EBC Green on motorcycles and smaller cars with excellent results, but they didn't work for me in a 3-series BMW or anyhting heavier. In fact, they wore out faster than stock and produced a lot more dust. Strange.

Anyway, I can at least confirm that Hawk Ceramics perform as advertsied. In a few months I'll see about longevity (pads and rotors).
Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

I thought about those when I did my brakes a few weeks ago, but I was a little bit concerned about rotor wear. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that having a harder material on the pads (ceramic) would wear the rotors more quickly. I ended up putting the stock Brembo pads back on my Cayenne.

I'll be interested to hear how they work out for you. Did the Hawk pads have a cut-out for the new sensors?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Yes, they have the sensor cut outs, as well as the metal weights, just like stock.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

We'll see, but this is what they claim:
Key Features & Benefits of Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
Ultra-low dust
Improved braking over O.E.
Stable friction output
Extremely quiet
Extended pad life
Increased rotor life
Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 PM
SeattleBum
AutoX

Do you have a part number and price on those? I've only had my CTT for about a week and already hate the OEM dust. I've used Hawk HPS on my Caddy for a couple years and loved those! When they did dust, it was at least a lighter color.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
REGURU
Advanced

What about squeeky brakes in stop and go traffic? I had mine replaced by the dealer about 5k miles ago and they get very squeeky in heavy stop and go city driving. I don't notice it in the morning so much when I leave for work, but within a few miles it starts again. Could it be a build up of dust? Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are on my list as a DIY. I just need to figure out how worn my rotors are.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
These are on my list as a DIY. I just need to figure out how worn my rotors are.
I'd suggest buying or borrowing a good set of calipers to measure the thickness of your rotors. I've heard that the rotors on the Cayenne frequently need to be replaced with pads due to wear. When I replaced my pads, I carefully measured my rotors and they were still within spec, so I only changed pads and sensors.

Overall, it is a simple DIY job.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Tire rack carries them and no, they don't squeak.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
REGURU
Advanced

They replaced the front rotors when they did the brakes. Any other ideas?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My Hawk dealer would not sell me the Ceramics," less bite with the stock rotors ". I am dustless with the Hawks 1 down from the ceramics
Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
IIRC, the factory rotor specs were posted in this forum a while back....perhaps by Larry before he died?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mudman2
My Hawk dealer would not sell me the Ceramics," less bite with the stock rotors ". I am dustless with the Hawks 1 down from the ceramics
FWIW, they feel fine to me, but good to know the other compound is also an option.
If you want to try the ceramics next time, just buy them directly from tire rack. Skip the dealer - it's a very easy DIY.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for not being more specific, it was a Hawk Dealer (racing) that advised me not to use them, it wasn't a price thing. I also put on Drilled and Slotted Zimmerman rotors which look realy good.

I have changed my pads and rotors a couple of times, would never pay someone to change my brakes hahaha
Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 AM
cayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mudman or anyone else since it has been a few years since this posted,
I have searched through a couple of forums, and to me the big question I have is Hawk HPS vs Ceramic? Which one would be better than stock, are they both better? I figure the HPS or Ceramic may be better then each other, but if they are both better than OEM I would go with the ceramic for less brake dust. I am happy with stock feel, I just dont want to down grade for less brake dust.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake dust problem solved?