mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I swear the hps about to put my third set on
Old 06-05-2010, 12:26 PM
cayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sticking with the HPS? Have you heard anything else about the Hawk Ceramics? I have bought everthing aside from the pads. I bought a set of drilled Zimmermans just because I like the looks. Now I am just studying the DIY's in prep for when all the parts come in.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This post has nothing to do with brake rotor material or type/heat/milspec numbers, etc... It has more to do with preventing brake dust and dirt from depositing onto your wheels.

As an answer to the original poster, I've started to use this new wheel coating made by Armor All. Before you start saying something about Armor All tire protectant and how bad it really is, hear me out on this one.

I haven't used Armor All products on any of my cars for the last ten years however when I saw this new product being advertised, I just had to try it out on my Cayenne since the brake dust issue really is terrible.

The results speak for themselves and the coating lasts several weeks before another application is required.

Here's the link and a video demonstrating how it works. The honey application really sold me:
http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...gory_index=new
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM
cayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That video is impressive! I just added the "drilled Zimmerman rotors" statement as an afterfact. I understand that it is the pads, I just don't want to sacrifice stock feel. If either the Hawk HPS or the Hawk Ceramics performed less then the OEM Pagids then I would stick with OEM and try the ArmorAll or similiar.
I of course would like prevent the dust in the first place and use a pad that produces less dust or "visable" dust vs stock. I would like to keep the original "bite" that my brakes had before the pads wore out.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

yeh right. For a while I used the stuff they coat the exhausts of SH60's and it only works so far when cleaning, the HPS stop the problem before it starts and yes same again no question
Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I am not too happy with Hawk HPS pads on my Touareg (same brakes as the CTT). They don't have the bite that the stock pads had and it takes a lot of pedal pressure to effect a stop from high speeds. My wife is afraid to drive it now as she thinks it won't stop. I like using HPSs on my 993 for street purposes. Granted, the V10 Touareg clocks in at over 5800 lbs I still expected more from the HPS pads. They are much cleaner than the stock pads.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

That has not been my experience on my S
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought the armourall wheel spay today. I gave it two coats on freshly cleaned wheels. We will see. I like the feel on the OEM pads ... I just dont like the brake dust.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Eric_Shea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the Porterfield R4-S pads? I love them on the 911.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought the armourall wheel spay today. I gave it two coats on freshly cleaned wheels. We will see. I like the feel on the OEM pads ... I just dont like the brake dust.
Please report back...would love to have my wheels clean for more than a day.

Unfortunately none to be found at two Autozone's in our area though
Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought it at target. Just happen to walk by the car section and saw it. SO far it has been a week with no dust. Went on road trip with the family this weekend, rained most of the time, still no dust.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
I bought it at target. Just happen to walk by the car section and saw it. SO far it has been a week with no dust. Went on road trip with the family this weekend, rained most of the time, still no dust.
One trick I found was to apply tire dressing before applying the wheel protectant. This prevents the white residue from sticking onto the tire itself and running down to the bottom of the rim.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM
tomphot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
What type of life are you guys getting using the Armor All?
Does running it through a car wash reduce it's effects?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomphot
What type of life are you guys getting using the Armor All?
Does running it through a car wash reduce it's effects?
I tried it, and although it does help some, it doesn't prevent dust from accumlating on the wheels. It does make it easier to wash off. I'm getting about two weeks protection with the Armor All spray - depends on how much city vs highway driving I do.

I am waiting for someone to tell us where we can get an aftermarket pad that feels like the OEM pads and won't dust the wheels. I don't mind a little brake dust, that's normal. What I'm seeing on my '13 diesel (fronts only) is excessive.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

The fronts are always worse but both are a pain

I ran for 105k on Hawk HPS dustless without any loss of feel ( to me) others have had other opinions but I don't track it, it's my daily drive and had no issues and no dust (heaven)

There are other treatments out there to slow down the build up and make them easier to clean, 1 developed for SH60 exhausts which work quite well but only quite.

Quick Reply: Brake dust problem solved?