cayenne GTS 6 spd manual first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default cayenne GTS 6 spd manual first impressions

My wife picked up her GTS on Friday. I got a chance to drive it this weekend. Note that I am not a big fan of SUVs, especially those over two tons.

Looks - The GTS styling is an improvement over the regular model - aboout as handsome as a Cayenne can be. The LED lights (not headlights) are nicely done and don't look silly like the ones on the Audi S5 for example. The aero bits look cool, especially the extended spoiler at the rear.

The interior (hers is black) is handsome as always and the alcantara seat cushions are grippy - a good thing because it is willing and able to carve up corners.

Poised lower than the S, or Turbo, the GTS looks better, less jacked up so to speak.

The Drive:

Suspension has three settings - normal, comfort and sport. In comfort mode the ride is very decent and body roll is next to nil. Normal is stiffer and a bit bouncy - feels a bit over-damped to me, sport mode even more so. On a smooth track I have no doubt that sport mode would be fun. On bombed out roads, less so.

The engine makes wonderful noises. Th exhaust is loudere than on regular version. I think there is a baffle that opens (like on the 997 GT3) over a certain RPM. Haven't tested that yet because it is over the break-in rpm limit.

The clutch and shifter are excellent, pedal pressure is lighter than a GT3 and no problem even for a woman. The shifter is very precise, no slop, throws are a bit longer than a GT3 without a short shift kit. It is a pleasure to change gears. Pedals were fine for heel and toe for me and this truck begs for heel and toe down-shifts which is saying a lot.

Cannot say much about performance, still in the break in phase. The GTS puts a lot of rubber on the road with 295/21-35 tires. Hit a bit of standing water and aquaplaning will be something to worry about. The brakes are very powerful as you'd expect. I thought I'd find rotors with holes in them, but they are solid like those on the Turbo. I guess they still think someone might go off road in this model.

All in all a very quick (even with small throttle openings and a 4200 RPM red line for break-in) truck that handles pretty much like a high performance car. The only thing that detracts is the obvious sensation of weight and a suspension which is strapped down to handle it.

I am still trying to find out why the GTS has 3x the gas guzzler tax of the S, and 50 percent higher than the Turbo, which makes no sense to me.

Best,
Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get some pics from you? How is the gas mileage?I think the gas guzzler tax here in Md is like 3K.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cbryce
Can we get some pics from you? How is the gas mileage?I think the gas guzzler tax here in Md is like 3K.
No gas guzzler tax for the US, only Canada. Mileage is rated to be about 2mpg lower than the S (Turbo is rated the same as S I believe), due to gearing.

Regarding the GG tax diff for manual versus tip in Canada--no idea.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

Ok good.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

so the green tax was $3k Bob? i paid $2k in January for my Turbo.

what dealer did you use in Montreal?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your impressions. I have not had the chance to test a 6spd manual on the GTS. Sounds like it is all that they say it is.
I have had my remorses about ordering this car but a couple of work situations make the decision of getting the GTS less difficult.
I will be moving for most of the year to do a project in a town near Mexico City. I was thinking on taking my M5 or M3 down there and even use them on the occasional track days on the F1 track in Mexico city(Hermanos Rodriguez). But then again an SUV is always more practical for the rest of the things I want to do. Do you guys think that I could take the GTS to a track day, have some fun and drive home like most people do with their GT3's or in my case with my M3?
By the way most of the people would say I'm crazy taking either of this cars to Mexico city but actually I will be driving most of the time a small compact car from my employer and the Cayenne or the M's will be for the weekends.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health, the GTS is a terrific SUV and the sound is very brutal.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:38 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No GG Tax in USA...true

Fuel economy ratings puzzle me..
I realize that the "GTS" has a slightly lower rear axle ratio for more performance zip. 4.11:1 vs 3.55

Tip ratings 13/18
Manual ratings 11/17
vs 13/19 for an "S"

First vehicle with a stick that has lower highway rating than an automatic

Guess it's the transmission final drive ratio
Tip 6th 0.69
Manual 6th 0.84

A performance gas pig no doubt!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:47 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Any post break in updates on manual trans. VS. Tiptronic S performance on GTS?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

bob- local dealer is trying to swap my RS4 out for a GTS...I've been toying with the idea of using it for a tow vehicle as well for my mx5 with an open trailer- what do you think?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Swing by your friendly neighborhood(on the road, anyways) dealer and take one for a spin.

Quick Reply: cayenne GTS 6 spd manual first impressions