Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Experience with Toyo and Yoko?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
stevethe6th
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Experience with Toyo and Yoko?

This is a great forum - I seached for steering vibration and found a wealth of info on the "steering shimmy" affliction. I have the 20" rims with a set of brand new Hankooks (not my choice) installed by the seller. I have had them balanced twice to no avail - still shakes badly. I have decided to replace these jewels with something more well-known.

I have learned from my searches that the Michelins do not typically suffer from the road-force imbalance issues. I have used the Michelins and Pirellis on my X5's, both were fine, but I read that many of the listers have had balance problems with the Pirellis.

My question is this - has anyone had imbalance issues with either the Yokohama Parada Spec-X ($146/ea) or Toyo Proxes ST(~$200/ea)? I have had good experience wit both these brands in the past (on p-cars) and the prices are much lower than the Michelins.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

We have about 15kmiles on the Toyo ST's in 19" form. No complaints so far with balance and they're wearing well.. much better than the pzero oem's or the Michelins we replaced.

They're just now beginning to get a bit noisy.

We'll buy a 2nd set when these are gone.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well....

it doesn't exactly count, but i have had no problems with the parada spec-x tires that i am running on the FX45. they haven't gotten noisy like some of the tires i ran on the late, unlamented CS. be sure you check the load rating in your size.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM
vyper340
Pro

I have Yoko Advan ST's and they are excellent. Great handling, good wear, low noise and agressive footpint. I may consider the Parada X-Spec next especially if there is good feedback but would likely stick with the Advan's if there's any doubt on the X-Spec
Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my third set of Toyo's. The first two were 22's and current set are 20's. Also had Michelins in between. No vibrations whatsoever. For the price, the Toyo's can't be beat.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:33 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Another vote for Toyo Proxes S/T tires. I switched to 22" Toyos from the OEM Pirelli Scorpions after two road force balances and persistent steering wheel vibrations and severe cupping of the tires. The Toyos were sold with my Cayenne S, but got me through 2 Wisconsin winters (M+S rated), ran smooth as can be, wore like iron, and were also good performance tires. Though I got Michelin Diamaris on Sport Technos with my new CTTS, I am switching back to the 22" Proxes mounted on TechArt Formulas.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So how many miles do the Toyo's last? It seems to me if a set of tires cannot out-last the oil change interval, then it's not really satisfactory.

Last edited by racer_65; 04-03-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I have a question- are the brands and models of tires people are speaking of applicable to the 19 inch 275 series tires as well? We have the stock 19 inch rims that came with the titanium package, and while the P-0's have performed well, they are wearing much too fast.

Thanks
-Andrew
Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Another recommendation for the Yoko Advan ST. I had them on non-pepper SUV's, and they have fantastic performance for such a composed and comfortable tire. The reinforced outer treadblocks seem to make a big difference toward scrub and wear.

Last edited by bgsntth; 04-04-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Another recommendation for the Toyo Advan ST. I had them on non-pepper SUV's, and they have fantastic performance for such a composed and comfortable tire. The reinforced outer treadblocks seem to make a big difference toward scrub and wear.
Whoa.... Toyo is Proxes... Yoko is Advan... my vote is for the Toyo in 19" form.
I haven't tried the Yoko on the 955... and probably won't since the Toyo is doing so well. I'm figuring around 20 to 25 kmiles from these and will swap them out due to noise well before they hit the wear bars.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM
mlm0505
Track Day

Well...the only tire setup that I had on my CTT that DIDN'T shake or shimmy was on the 20" Hankooks.
The stock Continentals and Pirellis were awful in this regard, and I refused to put up with the short life of the Michelins, which others have still had shimmy problems with too.
My Hankooks were fantastic...good grip, excellent life, quiet, and smooth...
Just my $0.02
Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
stevethe6th
Track Day

Originally Posted by mlm0505
Well...the only tire setup that I had on my CTT that DIDN'T shake or shimmy was on the 20" Hankooks.

My Hankooks were fantastic...good grip, excellent life, quiet, and smooth...
Just my $0.02
Wow - well now I'm really confused - I really thought I could pin the shimmy on the Hankooks. I've had quality issues with Korean tires in the past. A set of Kumhos on the wife's Z28 never would track straight or balance. A change to BFG's solved all the issues. As an aside, the Kumho 710 IS my tire of choice for track events (on the Chevy). It's a great DE/Club Race tire. I have a set of Toyo's on the 'vette for street misbehavior - it's far superior to the Goodyear F1's in all categories save ultimate grip, but that's what the 710's are for.

I'm going to try rotating the Hankooks (front to back) and see if there's any difference. If not, I'll try a pair of Toyos on the front and see if that fixes the shimmy. If that works, I'll replace them all and put the Hankooks for sale. Maybe they'll work for someone in a non-Cayenne application (..or find some 20" rims for the wife's X5, hmmmm....).
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mlm0505
The stock Continentals and Pirellis were awful in this regard
I must say- while I'm not happy with the fast wear of th P-0's, I find them (we're still on the original set due to winter switch of tires/rims)to be amazingly smooth and free from vibration. 80 mph and the smoothness is almost errie to me, as the Cayenne is my wife's primary driver and my daily driver is an 8+ year old BMW with a couple of rims that have the slighest of bends and original suspension which can probably use some new parts so I'm used to a slight sound/vibration at 70-80 (yes it goes away if you go over 80 )

Maybe it's because the cayenne is the first new car I ever bought, but the balancing of the tires/rims and driveline is amazing, although I'd imagine gets rougher as the miles/years and number of pot holes hit pile on...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
firepepper
AutoX

I have the Toyo Proxes ST's on 20" Sport Technos and love the ride. Not N-Rated however, if that makes a difference to you.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM
ammo_collector
Instructor

Concur with the Toyo's - running on oem 20" technos for 1.5 years - tread still good and still comfortable ride.

Quick Reply: Tire Experience with Toyo and Yoko?