Sponsored by:

Is PCM worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
rjklein
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is PCM worth it?

I ordered a GTS, and I am contemplating the PCM. Is this little gizmo worth it? Or should I just go aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it worth it?

Probably not when you consider the plasma screen you could buy with the equivalent cash.

That said, there are a couple of things I like about it that my Garmin Nuvi can't do.

I like the big screen for seeing the map,
I like that it is installed in the dash so I don't have to add and remove the winshield Nuvi every time I enter/exit the car,
I like the turn by turn directions that show up in the dash pod cluster,
and, I like that the nav will automatically turn the volume on the the stereo when the guid is speaking.

I don't like that you can't search on the name of a business, (at least I haven't figure out how to do that,)
and I don't like the lack of touch screen for data input.

The right choice is probably an aftermarket head unit that incoporates nav, bluetooth, ipod, and video integration.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nope

look at the number of people who have had problems with it on this forum. now look at what is available for NAV on the 04, vs what is in best buy now, and project that forward 2 years. finally, with the PCM, you are stuck. there is no upgrade path, there is no way to get to the HD IPOD steve jobs has up his sleve, what you have when you roll out the door is it.

oh, and the maps suck on toast.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
APXD 30
Advanced

I am a Garmin user and researched upgrading to the _70 series with both US & European roads. I was pretty confident that I was going to skip ordering PCM for the limitations you mentioned (touch screen, etc). You may be able to update the maps in the future but, of course, Porsche will charge an arm & a leg.

In the end, I ordered it for the reasons SnP mentioned and because the stock radio looks terrible. IMO, it is a step back to my '99 986 head unit. The Cayenne is a great looking & performing vehicle but the interior is it's major short coming. At least the PCM spruces it up a bit.

JPD
'06 987 S
'06 GTI MkV
'03 A4Q
'08 Cayenne Euro Delivery 6/30/08
Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have PCM. The latest maps are dated 2005.

NO

buy a TomTom or a third party system which is feature rich and comes with support.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

How long do you plan on keeping the GTS? If I was only going to keep it for 3-4 years I would get PCM hands down...most of the time I watch the cluster for turns - best feature IMO
Old 02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wait until PCM3.0 is unleashed upon the world........you'll all be wishing you had it.

Widescreen touchscreen
HDTV
Bluetooth
iPod
Satellite radio
Satellite telephone
Radar jammer
Handsfree control
Voice/Thumbprint identificaiton
Espresso maker
Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shhhhh...

if you are going to be giving away secrets, at least give them all away.

cloaking device
stargate dialing control
and best of all....

"GOOD MORNING, DAVE"
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rjklein
I ordered a GTS, and I am contemplating the PCM. Is this little gizmo worth it? Or should I just go aftermarket.
Despite the navigation is not very good (no touchscreen and not user friendly IMO), I do like the looks of it over the standard single DIN radio and I do like the Onboard Computer and Electronic Logbook functions it offers. Especially if you do a lot of long distance traveling.

And if you are going to get it, consider getting the Telephone Module if you use GSM cell phone. It's one option I wish I have, there is a little slot where you can put your phone card.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
bigboy
AutoX

Originally Posted by wilfred
And if you are going to get it, consider getting the Telephone Module if you use GSM cell phone. It's one option I wish I have, there is a little slot where you can put your phone card.
Not sure if I agree. Popping out SIM cards in and out of phones seems awfully inconvenient. I think adding the Parrot bluetooth or the Mobridge w/Bluetooth aftermarket with PCM is a better idea.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

In europe people get a Sim only phone so they do not have to swap out all the time. You cannot get such a thing in the states, not with the GSM carriers I use anyway.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
ozcav
Instructor

I didn't get it with my 997 because after fidling with it I knew it would just annoy me due to how bad it was. My wife really wanted it in her Cayenne and arguably the screen does look better so we got it. Now, when I make the mistake of attempting to use the nav, it really annoys me. It is generations behind the stuff you could get in say a Lexus and just doesn't work very well.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I dont have any problems using it and it does work, but maps are my big issue. The user interface is different but so long as your not driving when your using it it works also

Compared to my wifes TomTom its barbaric tho'
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozcav
I didn't get it ...... Now, when I make the mistake of attempting to use the nav, it really annoys me. It is generations behind the stuff you could get in say a Lexus and just doesn't work very well.
I disagree ---- IF ----- you get the PCM/Nav with '06 Tit.S or later (i.e. DVD version). My wife's Acura NAV sucks by comparison.. the display of vehicle and location is small - roads are not clearly legible. NavTeq/PAG is definitely better but also a lot more $$$ but it came with a big discount and then includes a lot of other features for CD/Radio etc.. I bought a inexpensive low end model of Tom-Tom for my daughter and for the money that is great.. but really only useful as voice-guided. With the PCM/DVD Nav.. I have had great turn by turn in British (and for fun other languages when "guests" are in the car!! ... and have yet to find any location that isn't in the upgraded NavTeq database. Beta CD version sucked only because of old data and no upgrade. Now I'm realisitic enough to know that PAG won't upgrade this.. but for another 3-4 years it is sufficient and I'm glad that I have it.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Let me qualify this with my father has this weird GPS addiction and we get him a new handheld or auto one for basically every one of his birthdays and at Christmas. So, I have used a lot of aftermarket navs and am pretty familiar with the type of features I like to see in a nav. Our CS is an 08, so it is the newest version of PCM. But, it still blows IMO. You can't set it to always point north (it defaults to vehicle direction below a certain scale), the input screen is very poor and can make it difficult to find the proper street, town, etc, the street names on the map rarely display consistently enough to be overly useful, etc.. I had nav on an 03 BMW that I was not very fond of too and the 08 PCM is worse. Our Lexus nav was far more intuitive and touchscreen is far faster for input.

Quick Reply: Is PCM worth it?