Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is PCM worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008 | 09:47 PM
racer_65
Racer

Given all the deficiencies, I wonder why Porsche doesn't just source this from a Japanese supplier.
Old 02-13-2008 | 10:49 PM
rjklein
Intermediate

Thank you for all the information. I think that I am going to install a aftermarket system. Anybody have a preference? Looked at some online
Old 02-27-2008 | 02:27 AM
racer_65
Racer

Article in Autoblog on this topic:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/26/w...-so-expensive/

Basically, factory navigation is a rip-off!
Old 02-28-2008 | 01:22 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigboy
Not sure if I agree. Popping out SIM cards in and out of phones seems awfully inconvenient. I think adding the Parrot bluetooth or the Mobridge w/Bluetooth aftermarket with PCM is a better idea.
Just get another SIM card from your provider - same number, so it's not like you're getting away with anything. My wife just upgraded her phone through an ATT promotion and it came with a SIM preinstalled. We didn't ask for it, it just came that way.
Old 02-28-2008 | 08:27 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thats not legal in the US, you have to have another line with forwarding
Old 02-28-2008 | 12:53 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

I have the Tom Tom 720, and it performs great, EXCEPT you have to deal with the inconvenience factor of having to pack it up, suction cup or other mount included, and take it with you each and every time you leave the car. Stealing these things is the newest rage, and they don't hesitate to smash a window just because they see a suction mount. For that reason alone, I wish it were built in.
Old 02-28-2008 | 12:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by racer_65
Given all the deficiencies, I wonder why Porsche doesn't just source this from a Japanese supplier.
Currently there are no other OEM headunit manufacturers producing MOST headunits besides Becker. MOST, much like its predecessor D2B, is a German entity.

That having been said, there was a Japanese OEM who tried to make a MOST headunit; they usually left Germany after compliance testing with their tails bewteen their legs, broken hearted, a shell of their former selves.
Old 02-28-2008 | 04:39 PM
droptop
Pro

Default hmmm....

in light aircraft, the newest rage is a panel mounted (snap in mount) portable garmin 496. the comparable panel mount (permanent) unit is like 12k, but the 496 has more functionality for about 2500 (has to do with FAA equipment rules).

something like the snap in mount under the radio might be an interesting item....
Old 02-28-2008 | 08:57 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mudman2
Thats not legal in the US, you have to have another line with forwarding
I thought it was strange that they sent me another SIM.
Both SIMs are functional, although I didn't try using both simultaneously. I assume both phones would ring at the same time(?), but it's not like you'd be getting away with free minutes or anything. Sort of like having another phone jack at home - you can only use one connection at a time, regardless of the number of phones/jacks (or SIMs).
I don't know anything about the legailty of multiple SIMs on a single account/number, so I assume you must be right.
Old 03-02-2008 | 10:18 PM
rjklein
Intermediate

what about the panasonic that has it all blue tooth, back up camera, and a health hard drive.
Old 03-02-2008 | 10:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rjklein
what about the panasonic that has it all blue tooth, back up camera, and a health hard drive.
If is has a MOST interface and has S/W that emulates a Becker headunit, you're in.

It really is a lot easier to just rip out the headunit, amp and speakers and put in exactly what you want.
Don't wait for Porsche to catch up to the latest in infotainment electronics, they aren't interested.....don't get me started.
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:55 PM
rjklein
Intermediate

I was going to just start over with the panasonic has a 7" screen, and it has gotten great reviews.
Old 03-06-2010 | 12:46 PM
Shikku
AutoX

Originally Posted by ltc
If is has a MOST interface and has S/W that emulates a Becker headunit, you're in.

It really is a lot easier to just rip out the headunit, amp and speakers and put in exactly what you want.
Don't wait for Porsche to catch up to the latest in infotainment electronics, they aren't interested.....don't get me started.
If you do this do you loose the display in the instrument cluster (2003 turbo model)?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 03-06-2010 | 01:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shikku
If you do this do you loose the display in the instrument cluster (2003 turbo model)?

Thanks,
Aaron
Yes.
I don't believe any aftermarket headunits have MOST, nor have an ability to send messages to the MFD via the MOST-CAN gateway.
For extra credit, you will also likely lose functionality of your steering wheel control buttons as well...for the same reason.

Damn, it's a good thing I never owned a Cayenne...I would have been a bit disappointed.
Old 03-07-2010 | 04:00 PM
Shikku
AutoX

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes.
I don't believe any aftermarket headunits have MOST, nor have an ability to send messages to the MFD via the MOST-CAN gateway.
For extra credit, you will also likely lose functionality of your steering wheel control buttons as well...for the same reason.

Damn, it's a good thing I never owned a Cayenne...I would have been a bit disappointed.
thank you Lewis!

I have been searching the forums quite a bit lately related to a few minor issues (hate to ask questions that have already been asked).

Through my searches I have found you to be one of the largest contributors, thank you!

Aaron

Quick Reply: Is PCM worth it?