Sponsored by:

PASM

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
cartoon blue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM

Any V6 here equipped with PASM and self level suspension? Could you let me know how useful you find it?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

V6 or V8 would not make a difference in opinion. I have it on the CS and I would not have a car without it. But that is just me. It's a personal matter. I find the ride comfort better with the 3 selectable settings instead of just one(spring rate).

Useful - as far as ? Off road? Street? Lowering/not lowering?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

I don't have a V6, but I have PASM with the V8. I think it is a nice option to have, and I'd buy it again. My reasons are similar to Alpine's reasons - comfort. I generally drive mine in normal mode for the shocks and keep the suspension on low ride height, but it is nice to be able to change it.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My .02c

I also don't have a V6. I also don't have PASM on my CS. I have driven CS & CTT with PASM and for me (lots of city driving mixed in with interstate driving, no off-roading) that feature seems useless and if I were buying a CS again I wouldn't go for it. Again.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i think..

it depends on your mission. if you are going to be flat, level concrete your whole life, PASM is a waste of money and weight. if you will occasionally be driving on the lawn, same comment. if you will delving further on the back roads or no roads, then it has some value.

it also was one of the few things that didn't break on mine....
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have PASM on mine. I find the ride to be quite cushy (stock 18" wheels), and don't have any issue with comfort. PASM would be beneficial if:
- You need to tow, or
- You need to go offroad or through deep snow/water

Otherwise, you might as well save some money and also avoid some potential points of failure down the road.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
roam
Cruisin'

I don't have PASM on my 06 CS titanium. I wish I did. There were none available at the dealership at that time with the super discount. I tow a trailer without any issues. With the 20" sport technos, the ride is firm, but the handling is superb. I don't like the large fender gap.

The reality is that it is not necessary, but nice to have. If I were to order one today, I definately get the PASM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I believe that PDCC is only available with the PASM. Not sure if all that is available and wise on V6 but makes a significant difference in the way the car handles in a good way (corners flat through hard corners). Rides lower if you want it to and comfort, normal, sport suspension selections are all quite different. The ability to raise the car about 5" comes in handy at times. The towing with PASM would be better as the trailer is maintained at a selected height.
Can even lower it further by links or by loading setting (helps older dogs get up )
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
IThe towing with PASM would be better as the trailer is maintained at a selected height.
FWIW and IIRC, it was recommended to only tow in the 'Normal" height PASM setting (selecting the appropriate height drop hitch in the 2" receiver) in order to avoid issues with rear tire wear/geometry/alignment under load.

Then again, look who's talking.....
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
cartoon blue
Advanced

Thanks! Sorry that I should state on the initial post that actually I live in HK, so basically it is v likely that my V6 will be on concrete all the time. The reason that I consider PASM are:
- easier access for kid (leveling suspension)
- comfortness of the ride

However, it is hard to decide as it cost about USD7,000 (100% tax in HK).
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default then forget it...

IMHO, the kids will not notice the difference in ride height (and will grow past it too quick to believe anyway) and the comfort setting is kinda like those too soft pillows you get at some hotel chains. get the 18" wheels and you will be happy...perhaps...
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride on "low level" all the time (easier ingress for an old fart and looks better with the 19"). I do lower it to "loading level" when picking up my 97 year old grandmother to go out to lunch. Contrary to the opinion of some, I have had both steel and PASM.. there is a HUGE difference between Beta Steel springs and the ride of my Tit.S with PASM when in the COMFORT mode. My wife even commented on the difference in the old and new "pigs". She always thought the beta had a harsh ride (and it did).
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I agree... the access for the kids is not a great reason to spend the money on PASM. It won't make any difference there.

I don't use the "comfort" setting on my suspension - it is way too soft. Even with 20" wheels, the comfort setting is too soft. I guess it could be good for a really long road trip, but I am generally quite happy with "normal". The "sport" setting is nice if you are driving hard on curvy roads, but it is a little harsh for everyday driving.

As other have said, if you aren't going off road and if you plan on relatively normal driving (you decide how to define normal) then it may not be worth the money.

Again, I am happy to have PASM and I think it works well with large diameter wheels, but it sounds like a very expensive option for you and it may not be worth it.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
......I don't use the "comfort" setting on my suspension - it is way too soft. Even with 20" wheels, the comfort setting is too soft. ....
well. dang.. maybe my PASM is really from a Rolls assembly line... I wouldn't classify my comfort setting on PASM as "soft" -- compared to steel springs? yes - "soft" ---- but compared to my mother's Cadillac or a BMW 7 series? it will still qualify as "harsh" in my wife's lexicon and "sporty" by myself.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadFox
well. dang.. maybe my PASM is really from a Rolls assembly line... I wouldn't classify my comfort setting on PASM as "soft" -- compared to steel springs? yes - "soft" ---- but compared to my mother's Cadillac or a BMW 7 series? it will still qualify as "harsh" in my wife's lexicon and "sporty" by myself.
Well, I guess it's all relative. I'd call it soft compared to my wife's HUMMER. But then again, the sport mode is soft comapred to the HUMMER.

It's certainly not as soft as my Dad's old Fleetwood...

I comfort mode would be good for a road trip. Have you used it much out on the highway?

Quick Reply: PASM