Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change indicator light: What triggers it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:37 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil change indicator light: What triggers it?

'06 **** Ed

Factory manual states that "the engine oil has to be changed at the intervals listed in your Maintenance Schedule" which states the following:

Minior maintenance at 20K, 60K, 100K, 140K miles etc... if the mileage for scheduled maintenance is not reached, minor maintenance must be performed after 2, 6, 10... years at the latest.

Minor maintenance for the Cayenne S and Turbo includes changing the engine oil and filter.

After searching, I understand that the OBC will give you a "maintenance required in XXX miles" warning and this warning occurs at various mileages. What triggers this warning?

Is oil quality being monitored? Surely, mileage plays a role but what else is monitored to trigger the indicator?

If the oil is changed prior to the maintenance warning, does the computer have to be "reset" or will the system just adjust to the new oil?

Just wondering since I've been putting the truck through some really tough towing miles...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the OCI

is one of the few things porsche got right. notice that there is no severe service schedule. there are 2 GALLONS of one of the best, longest lived oil currently available today in that engine. very little that you can do will cause that oil to go south early, and almost nothing with a normally aspirated engine.

go to 20 and don't worry about it.

ps, i believe the indicator will trip at 20/40 etc. doing an early oil change didn't change my indicator in the slightest, although with the competency level of my dealer, they may not have known how to reset it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmn, 2 gallons, let me see, that's...no wait, don't tell me.....8 quarts?

IIRC, real Porsche engines (air cooled types, 911 and such) use, oh, I don't know, 12 quarts of oil.....about 3 gallons.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, just my 2 cents from the cheap seats in the peanut gallery....

If you are, God how it hurts to say it, TOWING, I would still change the oil/filter MUCH sooner than 20K, say around 3-5K tops. I would also check/change the air filter as well.

Std practice for tow vehicles FWIW.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by droptop
ps, i believe the indicator will trip at 20/40 etc. doing an early oil change didn't change my indicator in the slightest, although with the competency level of my dealer, they may not have known how to reset it.
Thanks for the input.

For the sake of discussion, let's say I change the oil at 19K (no indicator warnings). Then within another 1K I should expect to see a maintenance indicator warning even though I have fresh oil in the motor?

So... then the choices are to purchase a stupid reset tool or to head to the local dealer for a reset, eh?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
BTW, just my 2 cents from the cheap seats in the peanut gallery....

If you are, God how it hurts to say it, TOWING, I would still change the oil/filter MUCH sooner than 20K, say around 3-5K tops. I would also check/change the air filter as well.

Std practice for tow vehicles FWIW.
Ooops... did I say t-o-w-i-n-g? That must have been a MISTAKE!!!

The Pepper has been doing quite a fine job pulling about 6500 V-nosed pounds with a weight distributing hitch. And yes, my lights are working perfectly! !!!!!!!!!!! !

I'll probably just let the dealer mess with the oil.

Have a great Christmas!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 AM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Thanks for the input.

For the sake of discussion, let's say I change the oil at 19K (no indicator warnings). Then within another 1K I should expect to see a maintenance indicator warning even though I have fresh oil in the motor?

So... then the choices are to purchase a stupid reset tool or to head to the local dealer for a reset, eh?
My indicator came on with something like 2k miles and has come on right after an oil change when the dealer has forgotten to reset it.

A reset at the dealer takes 5ish minutes. It takes the dealer longer to connect/disconnect the tester than it does for them to issue the reset command.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bancu
...when the dealer has forgotten to reset it.
Factory authorized service... RIGHT ON!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

What triggers this warning?
It looks like either time (2 yrs) or mileage (20K) are the triggers. In my case the truck was asking for service at around the 12.5K mark. Based on my mileage run rate, it would be around 2 years old when it reaches 12.5K.

I have separate thread about my situation https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/398098-cayenne-asking-for-service-at-12-5k-miles.html in case you're interested.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooops... did I say t-o-w-i-n-g? That must have been a MISTAKE!!!

The Pepper has been doing quite a fine job pulling about 6500 V-nosed pounds with a weight distributing hitch. And yes, my lights are working perfectly! !!!!!!!!!!! !

I know it's off-topic, but you are using a WDH? What suspension does your Cayenne have - Coils or Air?

Oils cheap ... change often. I change all my vehicles at 5K miles. I use Mobil-1 on both of my "high performance" vehicles. Our Honda CR-V (185K+ Miles) gets Dino-Oil.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:32 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default at the risk ...

of starting the oil wars, changing at 5k with mobil1 or any synthetic of any worth is a waste of money. if you are going to change at 5k, use a good SM grade dino, it will make it just fine, as your honda shows well (not to mention the fact that honda makes some of the best engines on the planet).

the two killers of oil are service shear and additive pack exhaustion. haven't seen but a few oil analysis of the V8, but it seems to be pretty easy on the oil, which combined with the large oil fill (almost twice what an american V8 would have) there is plenty of add pack left at the end of 20k. figure that the oil in a cayenne V8 has about half the usage at 20k that a ford V8 has at 10k.

i regularly run my tundra V8 and mazda 4 at 10k OCI, and have done OA's on both showing they could go alot further. the tundra V8 is easy on oil, but doesn't have the volume the cayenne does, so again, the oil does better in the cayenne.

but it doesn't hurt it much to change it sooner (it does some however, oils actually accelerate wear for about the first k of use, not enough to matter much though).
Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice reply ... learn something every day!

Old habits are sometimes hard to change - it comes from my days owning a Ford 289 in the 80s.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cannoli
I know it's off-topic, but you are using a WDH? What suspension does your Cayenne have - Coils or Air?
I'm running a full WDH with integrated sway control on the non-PASM suspension. It works like a champ.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
It looks like either time (2 yrs) or mileage (20K) are the triggers. In my case the truck was asking for service at around the 12.5K mark. Based on my mileage run rate, it would be around 2 years old when it reaches 12.5K.

I have separate thread about my situation https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398098 in case you're interested.
Interesting thread, thanks. Still waiting for my maintenance indicator...

Tick... tock... tick... tock...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
CA Bimmer
1st Gear

Does the light reset or do you need some kind of tool to do it

Quick Reply: Oil change indicator light: What triggers it?