iPod Interface (hardware/software) that works with PCM

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:07 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod Interface (hardware/software) that works with PCM

Mudman2 and I have been beta testing a mObridge (http://www.mobridgeusa.com) unit that we've mentioned in other threads but have not gone "public" about until now. The unit is manufactured in Australia and is now available in the USA. I am not affiliated with the company and receive no compensation for sales, etc. Simply sharing my experience for Rennlist users.

The unit has been installed in my vehicle since mid-September in the rear right CDC compartment and has been flawless to date. The software emulates the CDC player installed in the PCM configuration of a Cayenne. I opted to install the hardware in the rear and only access the iPod through the PCM (Mudman2 will post FRONT install). While it takes a little time to learn the way the system integrates --- once you do, it is easy to navigate and the sound is truly fantastic digital/optical quality through the BOSE system.

Install is simple with rear install... pretty much plug and play. Porsche provides a MOST loop access in rear CDC area and power is available for CDC. See pics for easy install.

Mudman2 is in final stages of negotiating a group buy.

I'm no iPod fanatic but now I listen to commercial free music nearly all the time with this set-up. mObridge unit has an AUX input which Mudman2 has wired to a Sirius satellite device. Merry Christmas.
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

will this unit work with the CDR23 ? (without PCM,NAV)
thanks
Sam
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

yes , a) if you have Bose (MOST) OR b) if you have MOST activated by dealer
Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mudman2
yes , a) if you have Bose (MOST) OR b) if you have MOST activated by dealer
yes i have the Bose system, so where can I get some more info about this unit?
you know my friend just bought a Pontiac which HAS an iPod port all he needs is a $6 cable.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sam
Old 11-23-2007, 09:39 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Here is some mObridge information, I will post the install shortly
Attached Images    
Old 11-23-2007, 09:50 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
yes i have the Bose system, so where can I get some more info about this unit? you know my friend just bought a Pontiac which HAS an iPod port all he needs is a $6 cable. Happy Thanksgiving!
Sam
Just a $6 cable? Now all you need is a "hot" Pontiac!
mObridge MOST set-up is a "tad" more.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Also some install info but not all

http://www.mss1.com/install_tips_porsche.pdf
Old 11-24-2007, 09:10 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

My gallery has been updated
Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

mine comes friday, looks kind of hard. total time? special tools?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered mine, will be here Friday as well. I know this may be slightly OT, but has anyone used the PCM as a monitor only, and not activated or hooked up the Nav? I have the CDR23 and want the PCM screen, but don't need the Nav feature.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Hi all.

I am a bit confused on this product's explanation AND the install notes posted. Assumption: I either do not uderstand or I misread. Please disprove this..

It states that a glove box type mounting makes more sense/more ideal due to the fact the ipod can then be accessed. BUT the product review states that the software allows for the ipod to be controlled by the PCM buttons/screens. These two statements seem to be in direct conflict.

If mounted in the CDC location, then can I control the pod with my PCM controls i.e. from the front??

Thanks all.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
Hi all.
I am a bit confused on this product's explanation AND the install notes posted. Assumption: I either do not uderstand or I misread. Please disprove this...
FORE !

It states that a glove box type mounting makes more sense/more ideal due to the fact the ipod can then be accessed..
Yes, it can be accessed, so if you wish to take your iPod with you when you exit the vehicle, you can easily do so.
Of course, if you wish, you can also reach over to the glove box, scroll thru some iPod settings/lists.....but, make sure that you do this while you're talking on the phone (extra credit for texting), holding a 1.5 gallon sized cup of hot coffee and writing down notes as you drive.

BUT the product review states that the software allows for the ipod to be controlled by the PCM buttons/screens..
Yes, no matter where you have mounted/installed/stored the aforementioned iPod (even in a secure location known only to Richard Gere.....(let's see if anyone gets that one), you can control it from the PCM buttons.

These two statements seem to be in direct conflict..
Really?

If mounted in the CDC location, then can I control the pod with my PCM controls i.e. from the front??.
Yes.

Thanks all.
Damn, sliced to the left....
Old 11-25-2007, 03:46 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Facinating. I have a fiber Bose equipped vehicle (mfg. shall remain nameless) that I want to update with an iPod integration solution. This sounds interesting! I'm not sure that my system is a MOST though... it's a '99. the MOST looks like it was first insalled around '05

I've also considered the DICE/Dension unit. I've never laid hands on either... do either of you that have tested this new system know if it's better than the DICE.. Have any of you used the DICE (the prospect of spending $600+ for a frustrating experience is not of interest to me).

TIA for any info you can offer.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Facinating. I have a fiber Bose equipped vehicle (mfg. shall remain nameless)... I'm not sure that my system is a MOST though... it's a '99...
It's a Mercedes, right?......plastic fiber optic is D2B....predecessor to MOST.
How did I do?

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
the MOST looks like it was first insalled around '05 ...
Uh, no.
MOST made its debut upon an unsuspecting world with Porsche in MY2003 (actually Porsche was supposed to be the last of the big 3 German car companies to rollout MOST infotainment designs, but Mercedes and Audi had some "issues" with a headunit supplier (no names, please), so Porsche went from last to first....although to be correct, it was supposed to be MY2002, but the aforementioned "issues" meant an last minute Bose system had to be designed/qualified/installed, which was a good old fashioned copper wire, line level analog based design, which is why the MY2002 and MY2003 Bose systems are so different .....or at least that's one of the stories that Larry (R.I.P. ) used to tell me before he died.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
It's a Mercedes, right?......plastic fiber optic is D2B....predecessor to MOST.
How did I do?
Dead on. I was trying to recall what it was, since I was sure it was not MOST. Went poking around and sure enough.. up to 2004 the CLK's were all D2B.

I finally found 2 reviews on the Dension Gateway 500 (which seems to be the only D2B solution) and it does not process ID3 tags on the display. Almost makes it pointless... almost.

Maybe I should just tank the entire BOSE D2B system and replace with an iPod / NAV integrated system from the aftermarket. But that would require some very painful rewiring of the sytem (6 door speakers and 2 more pods of drivers - my 500E had a 10 speaker system what a cluster that was to deal with).

No way am I doing the FM modulator solution unless I fall down and suffer a head injury and forget how badly they suck.

Quick Reply: iPod Interface (hardware/software) that works with PCM