Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Cayenne maintenance too much to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 AM
porsche_newbie
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Cayenne maintenance too much to handle?

I am really new to the world of Porsche and am looking at getting either a new '06 Titanium Cayenne or a '08 Tiptronic Cayenne. I have heard a lot about huge manintenance costs especially on pre-06 Cayennes. Is this true even for the '06 or '08 models? I'm looking at getting a relatively maintenance free car, apart from the required service schedules.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:05 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2004 Turbo (albeit maybe the only one on this board) has been GREAT. 109,000 miles and the only out of pocket, not expected costs were a water pump, a cardan shaft and coil packs, maybe $2500-$3000 total, not bad when you figure all the things that could go wrong.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche_newbie
I am really new to the world of Porsche and am looking at getting either a new '06 Titanium Cayenne or a '08 Tiptronic Cayenne. I have heard a lot about huge manintenance costs especially on pre-06 Cayennes. Is this true even for the '06 or '08 models? I'm looking at getting a relatively maintenance free car, apart from the required service schedules.
Buy an ext. warranty if you're the type that keeps it past the first 50K. '06 and later are no problem with irregular maintenance. Your biggest "maintenance" costs are tires (depends what you get and how you drive as to how long they'll last) and the rest is reasonable in my opinion for a luxury vehicle. If you're comparing and asking this question because of the free maintenance on a BMW then it is expensive in comparison. As far as other than regular maintenance the alpha/beta models had lots of warranty issues... at 10K miles and 7 months my '06 Tit.S has be FLAWLESS.. but I may need tires in the next 5K miles. Lastly, if it is for your wife and she is price conscious.. you should go with a BMW.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by T2
My 2004 Turbo (albeit maybe the only one on this board) has been GREAT. 109,000 miles and the only out of pocket, not expected costs were a water pump, a cardan shaft and coil packs, maybe $2500-$3000 total, not bad when you figure all the things that could go wrong.
I am SOOO happy you exist! Whether it is a false sense of security or otherwise, it is nice to know that they can make it this far!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:01 AM
tbill
Racer

Have an '04 w/38,000 miles and no problems at all. Only $ spent have been on routine maintance. Good luck in your purchase. I would think the '06 would get you more for the money.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default to be the wet blanket here....

running one of these without warranty is... an interesting risk. a new transmission is 17-19k, brakes run well over 1k and they are not the bad things. since most of this car is controlled by multiple computers, and since "open source" is not in porsche's lexicon, you had better be bloody sure you have a VERY good dealer handy. having a 3rd party work on one after the warranty is up is a questionable venture, due to the computer and network issues.

this is not a problem i have heard of with toyota, honda, etc, but instead seems to be one associated with german cars. mercedes has had alot of trouble in this area, and i have heard of problems with BMW as well.

for me, it wasn't worth it. 5 times in the shop in 40k, 4 of them being for the transmission, which they were never able to fix. being pushed toward the end of the warranty with numerous resets, and no action... now if i can just force porshe to abide by the lemon law arbitration i won, i can move on.

in your case, the best option if you are determined on this particular form of potlach, would seem to be to look on autotrader for one of the used '06's, with under 1k miles on it, at a dealer. there are a number of them since the 06 dump. since the dealer took it off of his new inventory at the right time (hopefully), the price should be good, and since you are buying a "used" car from the dealer you can get the CPO warranty, which should take you to 100k, without the issue Madfox got with his aftermarket warranty company going bust. however, you should note that the market is just now adjusting to the glut of 06's that were dumped and the depreciation is going to be fierce.

good luck, mr. phelps.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droptop
.......... and since you are buying a "used" car from the dealer you can get the CPO warranty, which should take you to 100k, without the issue Madfox got with his aftermarket warranty company going bust.
where's the obligatory Jack Lord post???????? dang.. ltc is losing his touch.. no Hawaii 5-O theme link!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 AM
porsche 914/6
1st Gear

There are many used Cayennes for sale in my area...why? Low mileage, nice condition. It appear's to be a buyer's market. Is Cayenne ownership that bad? I'm interested as an enthusiast, but wary.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche 914/6
There are many used Cayennes for sale in my area...why? Low mileage, nice condition. It appear's to be a buyer's market. Is Cayenne ownership that bad? I'm interested as an enthusiast, but wary.
Holy dead thread revival Batman! I think this sets a recent record - 10 years!

I'd suggest looking at the stickies. Much is explained there. Good used Cayennes aren't a scarce item, but neglected and costly ones also are out there - dragging down the used market prices.

These were expensive vehicles new. They remain expensive vehicles when it comes to repairs. Repairs and parts prices don't depreciate like the selling prices do. Even regular wear items like brakes and tires are $$$.

Porsche made a lot of Cayennes - lots and lots and lots more than any other model they've ever made of any vehicle - so you'll see what appears to be a lot of Cayennes for sale, but compared to the number in existence - the number for sale isn't all that great.

As far as "buyers market"? Yes - if you're willing to go out on a limb for one that has no service history, multiple prior owners who may have neglected it, and unaddressed issues. The smart buyer reads our stickies and goes out forewarned as to issues that could be costly. Not so much for good ones with known service histories that are well maintained.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Holy dead thread revival Batman! I think this sets a recent record - 10 years!

I'd suggest looking at the stickies. Much is explained there. Good used Cayennes aren't a scarce item, but neglected and costly ones also are out there - dragging down the used market prices.

These were expensive vehicles new. They remain expensive vehicles when it comes to repairs. Repairs and parts prices don't depreciate like the selling prices do. Even regular wear items like brakes and tires are $$$.

Porsche made a lot of Cayennes - lots and lots and lots more than any other model they've ever made of any vehicle - so you'll see what appears to be a lot of Cayennes for sale, but compared to the number in existence - the number for sale isn't all that great.

As far as "buyers market"? Yes - if you're willing to go out on a limb for one that has no service history, multiple prior owners who may have neglected it, and unaddressed issues. The smart buyer reads our stickies and goes out forewarned as to issues that could be costly. Not so much for good ones with known service histories that are well maintained.
Well said!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 08-28-2017, 12:10 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I could see an enterprise being made of snatching up all the Cayenne one could and parting them out and making complete vehicles for sale. Of course this would include an engine program and a performance division!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I could see an enterprise being made of snatching up all the Cayenne one could and parting them out and making complete vehicles for sale. Of course this would include an engine program and a performance division!
There certainly are cases where the parts are worth more than the whole. The early Cayennes are reaching that point. It has to be a vehicle where the engine/transmission are good since they'll be the big money items that pay for buying it. Once those are sold and costs are covered - the rest of the part-out is pure profit. Front end bodywork can also go for $$ since that's the part that is most often damaged on wrecked vehicles that are totaled and parted out.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:52 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
There certainly are cases where the parts are worth more than the whole. The early Cayennes are reaching that point. It has to be a vehicle where the engine/transmission are good since they'll be the big money items that pay for buying it. Once those are sold and costs are covered - the rest of the part-out is pure profit. Front end bodywork can also go for $$ since that's the part that is most often damaged on wrecked vehicles that are totaled and parted out.
ABS distribution block/pump/control unit(which is also used for psm) and sensor go for $2300 on discount. I see them for as little as 100 on ebay.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

How many listings have you seen with a shot of the factory window sticker?
A classic indicator of what it will cost to fix, when (not if) it breaks.

If you could locate a Gen I Cayenne which never had fluid leak out or water leak in and lived in a warm climate all its life it would be one to consider purchasing.

Not knowing this for certain a Cayenne that will transfer title for $1 is the only one to consider. IMO

Quick Reply: Is Cayenne maintenance too much to handle?