Sponsored by:

Coming Off Warranty + WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Twinned
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming Off Warranty + WTF?

My 2004 Cayenne Turbo is coming ff warranty in June (25k miles) and I was wondering what other owners have done / are planning to do with theirs. Stealer says he can't/won't CPO a customer's car, and the only extended warranty option is a third party provider (read: no way will they pay for anything serious without a fight).

And, WTF? Does anyone on this thread actually own a Cayenne, or are you all just about slagging the thing? I actually like mine, drive it most every day, get compliments on it, and never get beaten out of a toll booth . . .

On a nice sunny day on a twisty road, yeah, I'd rather be driving my 996, but my 5300 lb 'pig' does a lot of things pretty damn well.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:39 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twinned
......... I was wondering what other owners have done / are planning to do with theirs.
I bought another one even tho' the Beta was well... a Beta. Buy an ext. warranty through your dealer.. that way you can fight them and have them fight the 3rd party.. plus, if the company goes "tango uniform" then you can make the dealer stand behind it. Bottomline, a cardan shaft and/or a/c solonoid "problem" will make an ext. warranty a lifesaver... NAKED Cayenne ownership is for the foolish or for folks who are extremely confident in their LUCK.
Originally Posted by Twinned
And, WTF? Does anyone on this thread actually own a Cayenne, or are you all just about slagging the thing? I actually like mine, drive it most every day, get compliments on it, and never get beaten out of a toll booth . . . On a nice sunny day on a twisty road, yeah, I'd rather be driving my 996, but my 5300 lb 'pig' does a lot of things pretty damn well.
A few still "hang" here because they have good input .. although some seem to have a need to vent.. but bottom line.. approaching 10K and 1/2 year of ownership with a 06Tit.S and it is flawless and a blast to drive.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

The dealer's make a pretty good markup on ext warranties so it pays to shop around. Check out Warranty Direct for online pricing - at least as a starting point.

We bought an extended warranty for my wife's Volvo XC70, through the dealer, but it is 100% refundable if we don't make a claim... So we have some peace of mind and if a big repair comes we can pay the $100 deductible and be done... If not, we can get the entire cost back -- otherwise it's prorated. (Sorry, I don't know the company name and I can't find the policy at the moment.)
Old 03-28-2007, 02:14 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Same here. Cayenne S will have no warranty June this year. I'm on the next spot for a Cayenne Turbo at my dealer. Waiting patiently for a build date.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 AM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

I'm still a long way from warranty expiration (I have an 06) but I am thinking of self-insuring.

I still haven't figured out a dollar amount to set aside though. If someone has suggestions on how to determine that amount I'd appreciate it.

I unscientifically, unmathematically figure that if I set aside cash equivalent to at least 2X the premium I might be OK. I could win or I could lose this bet but it might work until it is time to trade it in for something else.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 04 S, mostly love the car except for BETA issues. I have a third party 100K warranty just to lull me into a false sense of security.

Good plan with the savings plan about $450 a month should do it (premium equiv)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Vino
Racer

I just got a quote a month ago for $4300 6/100k for our 04 CTT covers everything. The warranty company only sells to dealerships.

So you basically get 2yr./100k as it starts from the time the truck was purchased.

I have to see what the other dealers are offering but as my understanding there is padding in the price.

Have to go with Madfox, any issues and the the cost of ext. warranty is basically covered considering most issues are over $1000 to repair.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:27 AM
tetongolf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vino
I just got a quote a month ago for $4300 6/100k for our 04 CTT covers everything. The warranty company only sells to dealerships.

So you basically get 2yr./100k as it starts from the time the truck was purchased.

I have to see what the other dealers are offering but as my understanding there is padding in the price.

Have to go with Madfox, any issues and the the cost of ext. warranty is basically covered considering most issues are over $1000 to repair.

Do you know what company was offering this 6/100k warranty? What dealer was it?

Thanks,

Michael
04 CTT
07 Q7
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Sharptt
Pro

I wouldn't bother with anything other than a factory Porsche warranty. I also own a 2004 turbo that is coming off warranty soon. I thought about trading it in for a new/newer one but I love my car and other than some initial electrical gremlins hasn't given me anything but stellar reliability. I recently drove an '08 turbo and it was a tad better, but mine felt just as solid and almost as powerful. So rather than spending beaucoup bucks now for essentially the same vehicle I'll put away a few grand for repairs.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vino

I guess I just don't see a clear value in this. My CS will be 3 years old in late June and I just turned 43K miles. It has been pretty much rock solid to date. If I purchased this warranty I'd have to be averaging almost $1500/year in claims to come out ahead. It COULD happen, but it doesn't seem likely based on performance to date.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Vino
Racer

Tetongolf,

It was a quote I got from Stevinson Porsche, the company is Century Automotive Service Corporation. I asked if they have had good dealings with them and they said yes. I do have to admit the dealer steps to the plate no matter what circumstance so even if another dealer is few hundred less I'll give Stevinson the business.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
I guess I just don't see a clear value in this. My CS will be 3 years old in late June and I just turned 43K miles. It has been pretty much rock solid to date. If I purchased this warranty I'd have to be averaging almost $1500/year in claims to come out ahead. It COULD happen, but it doesn't seem likely based on performance to date.

Unfortunately we have one of those 2003 Octoberfest build date cars HAHA! I have about $1800+ a year in service so it works for us. Our CTT has been solid but the issues if minimal seem expensive.

I am sure the coil packs will go as I have the "01" version and I believe there is now an "04" version. Transmission can be $17k parts and labor depending on dealer. Trust me this is the first car I have ever owned that I will push warranty as far as possible

Still cheaper than an 08 CTT and makes me happy. With the dealer I am using for service, they won me as a customer for future 911 purchase. Though the issues were there everything and beyond is taken care of.

I don't know if the ext. warranty, if never used is refundable, that would be a killer deal.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Twinned
Intermediate

Thanks for the input all. I'll re-post when I get some hard data from the Dealer. I'd think of trading / upgrading, but its too early in the Porsche new product cycle and price+availability=huge premium to get a deal done now. The only thing I don't like about mine is the obsolete, CD-based NAV system. (Tempting fate, I know) only issues I have had were: 1) one of the two fuel pumps died, 2) airbag light -> sensor replacement, and 3) faulty rear glass switch.

Does anyone know if the "Power Kit" (the one that appears to be the Turbo S upgrade) that was referenced on another thread includes an extension of the engine warranty?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

I too own (almost) a Beta 2004 C-TT, been dancing pantless for about 60,000 miles now as we are near or nearly over 110,000 miles - normal service and oil changes and so far (T2 knocks on wood) we have been very happy with it!!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:39 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04 CS up in June also. I was at the dealer for some last minute fixes and was quoted $2600 for an extended warranty. 2 more years or 100k miles. I shopped online and found most warranties range from 3-5k for the same coverage. I think I'm gonna wing it and hope nothing serious goes as I have friends in the right places to help me fix if my luck goes bad. So far I havent had any of the gremlins that have been discussed here so maybe i got lucky with a "wednesday" built unit.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
black993man
Advanced

Mine's up in May. Same quoted $4500 3rd party warranty quoted from the dealer. Given the electrical gremlins my '04 CS has suffered under warranty I'm inclined to punt and unload the thing. What's alarming is the hit I'm seeing in resale on the CS. $33k trade-in offered at one stealer and zero successful e-bay auctions that break $40k???

This beast is proving to be the polar opposite from the '86 911 I owned for five years and sold for even $$. Summer gas prices can only make this proposition worse as irrational consumer fears drive everyone towards Priuses and SmartCars. WTF!

Last edited by black993man; 03-29-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: grammatical

Quick Reply: Coming Off Warranty + WTF?