Sponsored by:

Am I crazy, thinking about trading S for Audi Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
boybike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy, thinking about trading S for Audi Q7

I am seriously considering trading my 04 S for a shiny new Q7 4.2 premium sport. The way I figure it:
Porsche Plus:
Handling (although the Q7 was NOT bad, but it aint a pepper)
Crisper power (the audi seemed to have the "turbo lag" that people have mentioned on this forum . (The Audi is 350 HP but less torque)
Better service
better babe magnet (naa, not a plus, wife is not impressed)
and the FUN TO DRIVE factor

Audi Plus:
More Toys, GOOD toys, like blind spot radar, Adaptive cruise control, Very nice panoramic roof, Air suspension (Similar toys to the 100K Pepper for < 70K.

and simple things that I would expect Porsche to have by now, like bluetooth.

So my question is, will the toys make up for the good but less than stellar handling, accelleration, etc.

Bruce
Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone want to handle this?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, the PREVIOUS lemon law case i had to the porsche was an AUDI 13yrs ago.......

you think they are better now because?

and don't even go anywhere with the service, most porsche dealers are also audi dealerships, you just go in a different door (or not).
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 AM
SciFrog
Racer

All my cars being Audi or P, I must be crazy then?

Serioulsy, get the Q7 if you need the third row. Else get the Cayenne (from an owner of both).
Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

I had the Q7 as a loaner and I didn't dig it at all.

Akward "I drive" based interior.

Drive felt smooth, but lumbering. Reminded me a lot of the LX470 I had a few years back-- which is fine, but very different than the Cayenne. Overall, it felt much larger and less agile than the Cayenne S.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Cognac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just noticed i have hair sticking out from my nose.
it's bothering me little but part of the life.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boybike
(although the Q7 was NOT bad, but it aint a pepper)
Bruce

Actually... more than you think. I think you will find that much of the Pepper and the Audi are similar, as much as 60%. So you are not straying that far off the reservation...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
AAHTT
Racer

I am seriously considering trading my 04 S for a shiny new Q7 4.2 premium sport. The way I figure it:
Porsche Plus:
Handling (although the Q7 was NOT bad, but it aint a pepper)
Crisper power (the audi seemed to have the "turbo lag" that people have mentioned on this forum . (The Audi is 350 HP but less torque)
Better service
better babe magnet (naa, not a plus, wife is not impressed)
and the FUN TO DRIVE factor

Audi Plus:
More Toys, GOOD toys, like blind spot radar, Adaptive cruise control, Very nice panoramic roof, Air suspension (Similar toys to the 100K Pepper for < 70K.

and simple things that I would expect Porsche to have by now, like bluetooth.

So my question is, will the toys make up for the good but less than stellar handling, accelleration, etc.

Bruce
Here you go, had an 04 S since december 04, put 38000 miles on it and several trips to dealer for many annoying problems, the last one was a left headlight assembly that doesn't want to work. The wife got sick of this although we are hardcore porsche people. 3 days ago, went to Audi dealership and haggled for 4 hours. Got 36K$ in trade in a for a premium 4.2 Q7 fully loaded.
I agree that the Q7 is no Cayenne as far as handling, but in Dynamic mode with sport setting it is pretty close. The Q7 has the same frame as a Cayenne or Touareg and feels as solid if not more. The extra weight can be felt on fast tight turns but this car is comfort oriented unlike the Cayenne.
Gas mileage seems similar so far although they say it is better. Acceleration feels pretty similar as well (0-60 in 7 sec).
Oh, and you get tons and tons of options and gadgets that would take pages to list for the same price as a minimally optioned S.
What made us change our mind from the new S to the Q7 was the fact that the interior of the new S is exactly the same as the old car and that alone was enough to disappoint my wife, not to mention the extra space and third row that you get with the Q7.
One last thing, the Q7 has the same outside height and width as the cayenne, it is only 6 inches longer.
If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Actually Q7 and Cayenne share less than 20% parts.

The Audi interface (MMI) is considered by most auto magazines as the best one out there.
It has all the gadgets you can think of, including a $65 iPod adapter (vs $650 for non OEM on the Cayenne) and bluetooth...

Handling does not compare vs the CTT though, not even close. The 4.2 Q7 is also a bit underpowered, 380-390 would have been better.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Q7= Audi Soccer Mom Wagon

YUK!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

If your over 4.5' tall your feet probably won't have enough leg room in the 3rd row seat of the Q7. The 3rd row seat is also in the crumple zone, so think twice about putting your kids back there.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better babe magnet
I don't think so, unless she likes yachting.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am seriously considering trading my 04 S for a shiny new Q7 4.2 premium sport.
In a word......... YES.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. My 2004 Cayenne S lease has about 10 months left on it and I'll need to replace it. Would like a 3rd row as I have two kids (4yo and 6mos old). My need for speed will be satisfied by a Cayman S which arrives late next month, so I'm willing to sacrifice speed and handling for more room and creature comforts.

Wouldn't mind another Cayenne (even without the third row) but am underwhelmed by the lack of changes to the interior, lack of iPOD and Bluetooth, and high price tag. Am strongly considering a loaded Q7 (maybe even the V6 variant) or X5. For me, I need to keep telling myself it's okay to downgrade from the Cayenne considering what will be in my garage late next month.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
If your over 4.5' tall your feet probably won't have enough leg room in the 3rd row seat of the Q7. The 3rd row seat is also in the crumple zone, so think twice about putting your kids back there.
that's not true, the third row accomodates children or adults up to 160cm/5'4 according to the manual and the second row is movable forward as well, the third row is at least 2 feet away from the read lid, what is your definition of crumple zone?

Quick Reply: Am I crazy, thinking about trading S for Audi Q7