Sponsored by:

Alpine iPod and satellite navigation installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Snapper
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine iPod and satellite navigation installation

I thought you might be interested in the audio and navigation update I have had installed on my CS. The original CDR-23 has been replaced with a new Alpine head unit and this now allows me to have integrated audio and navigation all controlled by a single, touch screen, interface.

Most importantly, I now have full iPod integration. The Alpine head unit drives my iPod using Alpine's latest 'fullspeed' iPod link. This differs from other manufacturers' solutions by allowing rapid scrolling through Artists, Albums and Playlists in just a few seconds. You can see a demonstration of this on the U.S Alpine website at http://www.alpine.com .

Here is the specification for the entire installation:

Head unit: Alpine IVA-W200Ri mobile media station
This unit is a double DIN, touch screen, head unit that fits in the space where the PCM unit would normally be found. The cable connection for my iPod terminates in the glove box. As well as providing iPod, FM radio and a CD/ DVD player, it is also used as the display for the satellite navigation and also for a reversing camera.

Navigation: Alpine NVE-N099P
A DVD-based navigation unit that covers most of Europe. It includes TMC traffic interrupts that display live traffic problems and automatically recalculates an avoiding route. I haven't used this much so far but it seems very intuitive to use and calculates routes almost instantly.

Power amplifier: DLS Classic CA41 http://www.dls.se
This is a Swedish-designed 4x50 watt amplifier. Two channels drive the speakers in the front. Two channels drive the sub woofer. The rear-door speakers are driven directly from the head unit. The amplifier is mounted in the spare wheel well. There is still room for the spare.

Speakers: Diamond Audio speakers throughout
These are direct replacements and are installed in the doors / dash in the normal locations so the change is not visible. The 10" sub woofer is installed in the left side of the trunk in a custom-made mounting. Again this is hidden behind one of the removable panels in the side of the trunk.

Camera: Alpine HCE-C100 reversing camera
This is mounted in the recess next to the handle for the rear hatch. It displays automatically on the head unit whenever reverse gear is selected.

The installation work was done by Prestige Audio in north west London, England. They were given a brief to do a 'stealth' installation. Nothing was to be visible except the new head unit. I am delighted by the result. It looks and sounds better than I had ever imagined.
Attached Images          
Old 05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Why is Porsche in the Dark Ages when it comes to personal entertainment??
Old 05-29-2006, 12:52 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Snapper!
Your sub setup is exactly what I want to do with my CS.

Clean install....... Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That is one of the nicest installs I have seen posted. I love the matched leather surround at the head unit.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Why is Porsche in the Dark Ages when it comes to personal entertainment??
Simple: they are unable to get the attention of the major infotainment OEM's due to their low volumes. They get whatever Becker (only MOST headuit supplier currently...well, except for that Japanese company we don't talk about ) decides to give them.
Plus, they are not staffed/equipped to perform vehicle level validation, let alone come up with a custom design specification. They solicit requests for quote against their 'generic' vehicle level design requirement and ask their suppliers (current and proposed) to offer designs.....of course against a very low cost target (re: Dr W's profit at all costs mantra)

Oh, and BTW, their marketing department (remember, at PAG, Marketing is at the top of the food chain...engineering/R&D is at the bottom) has done extensive market research in their largest global customer base and determined that......

Porsche customers will buy the vehicle no matter what level of electronics/infotainment is in the car.

Think I'm wrong, look at the latest sales numbers and yearly reports. Porsche customers will bitch and complain, but in the end, they'll still make the purchase....don't think for a split second PAG/PCNA doesn't know this.........trust me on this one.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:45 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No arguments from me.

This is perhaps the nicest installation I have seen , have fun with it and thanks for the pictures.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Very nice upgrade and a flawless install! Enjoy!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like a nice system but I noticed one problem - the steering wheel is on the wrong side...
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flawless install with all the features lacking in the OEM setup. Better NAV, better display, better sound quality, full and easy iPod integration and interface (the way it should be with all systems).

How much did it set you back?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Simple: they are unable to get the attention of the major infotainment OEM's due to their low volumes. They get whatever Becker (only MOST headuit supplier currently...well, except for that Japanese company we don't talk about ) decides to give them.
Plus, they are not staffed/equipped to perform vehicle level validation, let alone come up with a custom design specification. They solicit requests for quote against their 'generic' vehicle level design requirement and ask their suppliers (current and proposed) to offer designs.....of course against a very low cost target (re: Dr W's profit at all costs mantra)

Oh, and BTW, their marketing department (remember, at PAG, Marketing is at the top of the food chain...engineering/R&D is at the bottom) has done extensive market research in their largest global customer base and determined that......

Porsche customers will buy the vehicle no matter what level of electronics/infotainment is in the car.

Think I'm wrong, look at the latest sales numbers and yearly reports. Porsche customers will bitch and complain, but in the end, they'll still make the purchase....don't think for a split second PAG/PCNA doesn't know this.........trust me on this one.
All sad, but all true.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Moogle
All sad, but all true.
Welcome to my world......
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Snapper
7th Gear

Thanks for all your comments. Because, I drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, I'm too reserved about talking about cost. I'll give you a clue though. All the components together with the custom installation work are worth about one and a half PCM units.

I should mention that the installation was made easier because I do not have a multi-function steering wheel. The radio station display in the instrument cluster is now also blank all the time - a result of not having a connection to the MOST bus. A totally justifable sacrifice, in my opinion.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Snapper
The radio station display in the instrument cluster is now also blank all the time - a result of not having a connection to the MOST bus. A totally justifable sacrifice, in my opinion.
Actually it's due to the lack of a MOST headunit and a CAN/MOST gateway connection. MOST does not go to the IP, only CAN.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Snapper
7th Gear

Ah, yes. So does that imply that steering wheel controls are also on CAN? Roll on the day when we have a single, universal bus but I expect the oil will have run out before that happens.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:24 PM
bigboy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Snapper
Ah, yes. So does that imply that steering wheel controls are also on CAN? Roll on the day when we have a single, universal bus but I expect the oil will have run out before that happens.
Apparently so -- there seems to be an outfit trying to do that:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface

Vehicles that are needed for beta testing are: 2007 Dodge Caliber, 2002-2005 VW all models, 2006 VW Jetta, 2005-2006 Porsche Cayenne, 2003 Mercedes CLK320. 2006 Audi Allroad. These vehicles have been added or will be added to the SWI-CAN. These vehicles have not been fully tested so they will not be officially documented in the instructions until tested.

Quick Reply: Alpine iPod and satellite navigation installation