ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cayenne hesitation....learn to live with it

From July Pano, pg 85.

2004 Cayenne hesitation from the line:
So many times, I have had the dealer tell me things are "normal", just because there is the same problem on other vehicles. Most recently, they told me the hesitation from a standstill is "normal" and so I am living with the way the vehicle performs. I am used to the hesitation, but recently my wife drove my Cayenne S for a few days, and complained to me about the hesitation. My wife is not patient, and if the vehicle won't go when she steps on the gas, I think it could become dangerous. I have read that turning PSM off may eliminate the hesitation somewhat, but I tried it, and it's only slight. I have driven loaner Cayennes, and the hesitation is the same. Just because "all other Cayennes" may exhibit the same problem, shouldn't make it right.
Smith:
Unfortunately, the dealer is helpless about certain issues, the hesitation is one. Some things reduce it, such as throttle plate adaptation and possibly an update to the DME control unti to get the latest software in it. See if the dealer can do that and go from there.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smith:
Unfortunately, the dealer is helpless about certain issues, the hesitation is one. Some things reduce it, such as throttle plate adaptation and possibly an update to the DME control unti to get the latest software in it. See if the dealer can do that and go from there.

Hesitation? What Hesitation? We all have hesitation? Hmmm.. Pass the Kool-Aid with the Rum additive.. I finally found a problem that I don't have?!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I don't write it, I simply report (type) it.
A search in this forum will yield LOTS of complaints about eGas throttle lag/hesitation.

You may in fact have it, but you've gotten so used to it you don't remember what a normal throttle response feels like!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I don't write it, I simply report (type) it.
A search in this forum will yield LOTS of complaints about eGas throttle lag/hesitation. You may in fact have it, but you've gotten so used to it you don't remember what a normal throttle response feels like!
I had it SLIGHTLY initially but when they loaded new DME software and I re-trained the "learning" by having them null it out, I haven't had the issue.. In fact, a friend who has a S also rode with me on a golf outing and commented about how did I get rid of the lag on take-off at lights, etc. I haven't asked him about it as that has been over a year.. Think he has recently got on Rennlist.. I will see him sooner than later and see if DME re-map, etc. worked for him.. AND YES, I know that many have tried that and it didn't work.. but I didn't have it initally much at all to start with. And yes, I know you think I'm back to drinking the official Cayenne Kool-Aid... but truly am being objective.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:58 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they take away the cable you no longer have control, the ECU does. I will always have a problem with that. Audi is also very intrusive and trying to make you a "smoother" driver. Probably the same programming. My S4 throttle responce was very slow when rolling and sharp and crisp when stopped. Contributed to it being traded. The Cayenne seems very similar, but with the nature of the vehicle not so much an issue.
Madfox, I have noted that it always starts in second gear, did this new programming use first as default?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
beemaze
Instructor

I had the DME update performed. It only starts in 1st when cold (1st startup in the morning). I noticed accleration is a bit brisker, but hesitation, however slight, is still there. Overall, it doesn't bother me and I still love the Cayenne!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 88 Posts

Try the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes. For $500 you can elimitate your hesitation issues. Best aftermarket money I've ever spent. Low cost, no warranty issues and great sound.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:06 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Madfox, I have noted that it always starts in second gear, did this new programming use first as default?
Still starts in D2 most of the time. Very cold days (under 40) or if car has sat for several days and you are driving slowly. I noticed after a few days out of town and I'm driving in the parking deck at the airport that it is in D1. while I'm creeping forward because the darn parking is so tight.. but then that is another thing I love about the Cayenne.. turning radius is so small.. no K turns..

I would recommend that all that have hesitation issue bring it to the dealer's attention so that if enough complaints are in the system that perhaps PAG/PCNA will push for another DME "tweek".. can't hurt. until then enjoy the Kool-Aid!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tuned off PSM upon start up and ran it that way for about a month on my 04TT. Still starts in 2nd but no more hesitation at all.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you drive with PSM off does it solve the problem ? Bearing in mind its never really off and will protect you if you screw up.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:37 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, immediately with PSM off, the hesitation was gone..apparently it begins remapping itself after a while.. Got this from a much earlier thread
Old 08-17-2005, 02:44 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

When you guys refer to PSM do you mean "PASM" (Passive Air Suspension Management) or the "PTM" (Passive Traction Managment")? What do either of these have to do with the throttle, and if you turn it off, how is it still on if you are in trouble. Sorry if I am missing something obvious here.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rome
When you guys refer to PSM do you mean "PASM" (Passive Air Suspension Management) or the "PTM" (Passive Traction Managment")? What do either of these have to do with the throttle, and if you turn it off, how is it still on if you are in trouble. Sorry if I am missing something obvious here.
Neither.
PSM is "Porsche Stability Management"......or around track circles "Please Save Me".
It is the button on your central dashboard (exclamation point with a circular arrow symbol around it....check your owner's manual for a graphic and the corresponding intstrument panel cluster symbol) which you can push to 'turn it off'

Of course, it's never really off, as if the vehicle begins to sense that you are:

A. standing on the brake pedal with more than 3X the combined body weight of yourself and the fat lady of the opera (you know, the one with the Viking helmet and braids)
B. moving the car in more axes simultaneously than Isaac Newton himself could understand
C. the in cabin microphone senses the phrase "Oh ****" at a level way above the background noise

then PSM turns itself back on, taking control of just about everything except steering (independent ABS, engine RPM, gear selection) and tries to get the vehicle back under control.
Disclaimer: PSM is not responsible for the dry cleaning bill regarding the stripe you would have likely left in your shorts if you REALLY needed PSM to be Please Save Me.

It has been discussed in back issues of Panorama, sorry I can't remember which issues.

IIRC, it made it debut with Porsche on with the 996 family. I spent a day down at Road Atlanta and was lucky enough to have David Murry in the passenger seat on the skidpad in a PSM modified 996.
With PSM off, you could throttle steer your way around the skidpad as you would normally expect.
He then tunred PSM On, and asked me to get into 2nd gear, traveling around the skidpad and to nail the gas to the floor. I did and what you heard/felt were all the systems of the car (independent ABS, rev limiter, etc) all working to keep the car traveling in a circle around the skidpad, in spite of what I told the car to do by nailing the gas.
He then reached over while we were tooling around, flipped PSM OFF and the car immediately did about 3-4 360deg spins at wide open throttle before you could catch the car.
Pretty neat demo.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Cool. But why would that cause hesitation in simple straight-line acceleration? Does PSM brake the car or down shift it because it thinks you are trying to accelerate too fast? Seems way over engineered.

Just ordered an '06 CS due to be delivered in Oct. and I am becoming really concerned about hesitation and hope this is better in the '06 builds.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need to be, its really something that is easy to live with, is it perfect ?, no, but what is ?, the "!"

The A4 and A6 Loaners with TipTronic I have had from the dealer all had similar issues, we have just found a name for it. They did not have the ( ! )

Sorry rome a couple of in jokes may float over you for now.

Quick Reply: Cayenne hesitation....learn to live with it