Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
rome,
There was a recent Panorama article (996TT Tip vs 6spd) by Walter Rohrl that had a very good description of the modern Tiptronic gearbox.

IIRC, there were something like 200 software 'patterns' algorithmically available to control the transmission in response to various inputs: temperature, rpm, ABS, eGas/throttle position, DRIVING habits (yes, really), etc.
Basically the Tiptronic will adapt its shift points in reponse to what it believes wil be current driving conditions based on past inputs.
The DME works in a similar fashion, although much more strictly controlled due to the nature of controlling an engine/ emissions, etc

Since PSM is tied into the DME and Tiptronic (via CAN bus), there will be different algorithms initially applied based on the car's 'understanding' that by disabling PSM, there will be 'spirited driving'; so the transmission may start out in D1 rather than D2, the eGas curves will be altered, etc....the end result being less perceived throttle hesitation lag (throw in turbo lag and spool ups just to further complicate engine management matters if you want to).
Now, if you drive long enough with PSM off, the Tiptronic control unit will begin to 'adapt' to this as your 'normal' driving........however, if you drive very conservatively, PSM on, trying to maximize fuel economy, you will end up with a different vehicle response.

Simple, huh?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mudman2
You don't need to be, its really something that is easy to live with, is it perfect ?, no, but what is ?, the "!"
Had to use the "!" didn't you.
Superman had Kryptonite, I get stuck with "!". Fine.

They did not have the ( ! )
That's it, keep poking the tiger with a pointed stick.....then when someone forgets to latch the door to the cage, DON'T blame the tiger.

Sorry rome a couple of in jokes may float over you for now.
True, but once he takes delivery, it will all of a sudden make sense.

P.S. NO, I'm NOT sharing my Purplesaurus Rex with the new guys......
Old 08-17-2005, 04:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You crack me up !

:-)
Old 08-17-2005, 04:32 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
rome,
There was a recent Panorama article (996TT Tip vs 6spd) by Walter Rohrl that had a very good description of the modern Tiptronic gearbox.

IIRC, there were something like 200 software 'patterns' algorithmically available to control the transmission in response to various inputs: temperature, rpm, ABS, eGas/throttle position, DRIVING habits (yes, really), etc.
Basically the Tiptronic will adapt its shift points in reponse to what it believes wil be current driving conditions based on past inputs.
The DME works in a similar fashion, although much more strictly controlled due to the nature of controlling an engine/ emissions, etc

Since PSM is tied into the DME and Tiptronic (via CAN bus), there will be different algorithms initially applied based on the car's 'understanding' that by disabling PSM, there will be 'spirited driving'; so the transmission may start out in D1 rather than D2, the eGas curves will be altered, etc....the end result being less perceived throttle hesitation lag (throw in turbo lag and spool ups just to further complicate engine management matters if you want to).
Now, if you drive long enough with PSM off, the Tiptronic control unit will begin to 'adapt' to this as your 'normal' driving........however, if you drive very conservatively, PSM on, trying to maximize fuel economy, you will end up with a different vehicle response.

Simple, huh?
Whoa! Seems lilke a no-brainer to keep PSM off if it activates anyway when needed, and keeping it on lags performance and throttle response.

Is there any good reason to keep it "on" otherwise?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:37 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Well there is a reason, if your commuting, you will most certainly spill your coffee, the so called "lurch".

OK if its only you (you can drive home and change) but if your significant other is the passenger thats another issue.

Then the PSM on can give pretty smooth responses.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:30 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
rome,

Simple, huh?
Hmmm... so what the heck happens when you add a trailer into the mix? I'm think of getting one as a tow vehicle, does this exacerbate the problem?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:32 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

No you basically drive in manual mode with the trailer and keep it out of 6 for the most part.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
thecleaner
Instructor

"Hmmm... so what the heck happens when you add a trailer into the mix? I'm think of getting one as a tow vehicle, does this exacerbate the problem?"

Nothing to the response but you will see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Just ask Lewis.
Pass the kool-aid
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Come on Lance ! thats baiting the monster !!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 PM
thecleaner
Instructor

I can hear the growls down here!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

Yes, if towing you should be in manual mode. I rarely hit 6th when towing. Maybe on level ground or downhill. Lewis and I both wonder if anyone towing with an enclosed car trailer can get it to work the lights without the famous ! and the "check trailer lights" message????? I could only get it to work properly with a small single axle enclosed go-kart trailer...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:27 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thecleaner
"Hmmm... so what the heck happens when you add a trailer into the mix? I'm think of getting one as a tow vehicle, does this exacerbate the problem?"

Nothing to the response but you will see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Just ask Lewis.
Pass the kool-aid
I'm afraid to ask...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:45 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You crack me up ! :-)
Ditto, Mudman2.. LTC is on a roll. He must have spiked the Kool-Aid per his post on "spiced coolant" .... the last few posts are some of his best humor filled good info yet.. Darn it.. I'm not at home where I can get to the Cayenne humor liquid stuff and "be LTC happy", too!! (whoops !! unintentionally... wait, maybe Lewis can handle the !!! whilest sipping PurplesaurusRex? .. funny stuff... !!!!!!!! (okay, just want to see if the happy juice will keep biting sarcasm from emerging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm, hesitation ? Don't have that. Ocassional vibration with 20's yes. Choice between the two Cayenne driving characteristics(LOL)..I will take the "good" vibrations....
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Hey Chris long time no hear !

Quick Reply: Cayenne hesitation....learn to live with it