Sponsored by:

HItch mounted motorcycle carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:43 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 581 Posts
Default HItch mounted motorcycle carrier?

Thinking of using a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier to carry my son's 600cc sport bike, total weight under 400lbs with the carrier weighing less than 90lbs. That would be a "tongue" weight of under 500 total. That shouldn't be a problem as it is well under the allowed tongue weight should it? Seems silly to carry his bike in our enclosed car carrier and haul that when not really necessary. Anyone with experience with these carriers?? (BTW, hauled the spec Miata to Road AMerica last weekend in the ATC trailer- other than really lousy mileage it did great- over 800 mile round trip.)
Old 07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't see any issues (tongue weight, aero, visibility). I've seen these used on pickups (F series HD) quite often.

You will of course have to readjust to driving without the "!" light on the dash however.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:00 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

If the CS has parking sensors, then those would not be disabled, unless trailer lights are plugged into the connector. So, the rear parking sensors may not be happy.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wingless
If the CS has parking sensors, then those would not be disabled, unless trailer lights are plugged into the connector. So, the rear parking sensors may not be happy.
Good point; however, we all know what happens when you DO plug something into the trailer light connector
Old 07-29-2005, 01:31 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

I don't have parking sensors so no problem there! BTW, there is that ! again...
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually for these hitch mounted carriers, they have a plug for the trailer harness for lights that are attached to the carrier since the motorcycle usually covers these lights. If you did have the proximety sensors, they would be de-activated in the rear once the harness was plugged in.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
If you did have the proximety sensors, they would be de-activated in the rear once the harness was plugged in.
Plug something into that evil 7pin connector?!....NO, it's possessed!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:23 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Lewis, if I ever need a good laugh all I need to do is look for one of your responses!! Keep it up, and don't ever sell your Cayenne or 911- we need you around here...
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
Lewis, if I ever need a good laugh all I need to do is look for one of your responses!! Keep it up, and don't ever sell your Cayenne or 911- we need you around here...
Sell my one of my 911's? Surely you jest (yes, I know, and stop calling me Shirley....Airplane, what a classic movie). The 996TT was my first Porsche and has sentimental value. The 964 Cup has been claimed by my 12 year old son (who is currently in first place in 80cc Cadet karts and claims I told him if he wins this season, then the car is his when he turns 18 and wants to go out on track with me......sounds like something I'd say)

Buy another Porsche? Of course There is a very nice 75 914 (I know, 75 wasn't the best year) in the PCA Mart and a nice 968 cab would be fun (I've never owned a cab or a targa). There is an unclaimed black Carrera GT at the local dealer who they say has my name on it (a polite "no thank you", not after owning a Cayenne thank you very much)

Sell the Cayenne? Can't say anything.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
BTW, there is that ! again...
Don't worry about the "!".
Pull the trailer long and often enough and I'm sure the "!" bulb will burn out. (I'm towing the trailer 3x/week for my son's karting, but as of yet, I have been unsuccessful in killing the "!" bulb.)

There problem solved, compliments of PAG and brought to you by PCNA.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:57 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have steel springs, expect a nose-up attitude and perhaps not the best handling. If you have PASM on the S, no problem. Keep in mind that tongue weight rating can be effected by cargo load. I don't have any documentation from Porsche, but putting 500lb of biking stuff in the back could be an issue with a 500lb pendulum off the hitch.

Overall, towing a small motorcycle enclosed trailer is really tedious. You'll get a ticket at 65 mph while the traffic is flowing at 75. You can't use the commute but you probably have two people in the car. You can't park. You'll even pay for axles on toll ways ... groan. And getting into the rear of the SUV is a pain. For just two people, it's okay, but with passengers, it gets old.

I've had a bike on a hitch loader and it's no problem, but look at cinching the bike down to the body on each side so it doesn't wobble and twist which is not good on the nerves.

Personally, given the relatively trivial cost of a carrier vs a trailer, I'd try it out and if it's really horrible, you'll know the trailer is the only option.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:45 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Plug something into that evil 7pin connector?!....NO, it's possessed!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:09 PM
356driver
Racer

You can turn off the parking sensors but you have to do it every time you start the car. Still this may be less trouble than plugging something into the dreaded trailer hitch connector (right Lewis?). To turn off the parking sensors you push a button on the roof panel. I do it whenever I have a bike rack on the hitch. It's in the manual.

Last edited by 356driver; 08-08-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 356driver
Still this may be less trouble than plugging something into the dreaded trailer hitch connector (right Lewis?).
I don't know.....I heard the whole 7 pin connector, "!", Check Trailer Lights thing is just an internet legend....maybe just plugging ANYTHING into the 7pin connector voids your warranty

Quick Reply: HItch mounted motorcycle carrier?