CS warm up question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:59 AM
PRSCH
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CS warm up question

Good evening everyone,
Pleasure to be a part of a fine forum, and i hope in time i'll be able to share my experiences with you all.
Every morning my driver starts up all the cars for about 10-15 minutes to warm them up before everyone goes to work/school. He usually does so at about 6 am, and i leave home at about 6:20.
Is that approach good for the cayenne? should we continue this routine with my car or not..
thanks everyone
P.S. if its not a good approach, would you please provide the recomended approach.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 AM
cammyboyz
Track Day

The best thing is to worm up the car until you see your RPM drop to the normal then drive ur car the first 3 miles easy. The worm up should not take no more than 1 min.

10-15 min that is a long time and can hurt the car in the long run.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cayenne Owner's Manual, page 62, middle column, Starting, 7th item:

"Do Not warm up the engine when stationary.
"Drive Off Immediately"
"Avoid High Revolutions and full throttle until the engine has reached operating temperature"

(This is also repeated on page 61, Ignition lock position 2, Starting engine, 6th item.)

It would appear as though your driver now has one less car to start in the morning.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also think that is too long for the car to idle. In fact, it is too long for pretty much any car to idle. Living where cold winter temps are a reality all my life, I have violated the no warm up rule though. Never more than five minutes for me. Driving is the quickest way to warm up the car anyway. It needs to be put under some load to generate heat.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:21 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by PRSCH
Good evening everyone,
Pleasure to be a part of a fine forum, and i hope in time i'll be able to share my experiences with you all.
Every morning my driver starts up all the cars for about 10-15 minutes to warm them up before everyone goes to work/school. He usually does so at about 6 am, and i leave home at about 6:20.
Is that approach good for the cayenne? should we continue this routine with my car or not..
thanks everyone
P.S. if its not a good approach, would you please provide the recomended approach.

...your approach IS FINE!

...despite all comments ABOVE...including "as Cay MANUAL says..." ... by using procedure described below you DO NOT contradict Cay Documentation MANUAL procedure!

...you MAY ask the driver to warm up Cay for less time to about 3-7 min depending on a season (3- hot summer, 7 cold winter) until driver sees temp. measure on a display cluster showing ONE QUARTER! of the temp gauge segment, then after drive off drive slower (<=3000 rmp) for 2-5 min until driver sees temp. measure on a display cluster IN THE MIDDLE.

MORE IMPORTANT!.. ask the driver to idle a Cay AFTER sporty performance and regular driving for 2 min. BEFORE puting Cay back into garage to sleep...this will "VENTILATE", clear a car and allow it to COOL DOWN properly normally.

...by following above especially "cool down", your Cay will perform BETTER (without any hp power loss , more reliably for LONGER period of time...

Enjoy your Cay,

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 05-11-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

This same topic came up yesterday on the 964 Turbo forum. I noticed that all 3 of my Porsches manuals say the same thing. Some people insist that warming the car up by sitting causes excessive internal wear due to poor lubrication and cold oil. They claim it is best to get the car moving quickly to circulate the oil and bring it up to temp faster.

I decided to call my local Porsche tech and he said that it was not smart and considered to be a fire hazard to allow the car to sit and idle for that much time. These engines build up a lot of heat when sitting which can do more harm than good. He recommended a maximum of a min or 2 before driving off and then to keep the rpms below 4500 until operating temp is achieved. He did not feel that allowing the car to sit for a min or 2 before driving off would cause any damage but felt that the heat build up could be far worse.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Cobalt,
Your new avatar does NOT do your cars justice....
Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Cobalt,
Your new avatar does NOT do your cars justice....
Yeah, I knew that one sucked big time. I need to take some new pictures. Haven't had the time recently. How about this one, any better?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It's just that the resolution/pixelization didn't do the cars justice.
I'm not a digital photography person, which is why I went with a 'Bill the Cat' avatar............that and the fact that our moderator thinks it is more of a self portrait and more fitting for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
It's just that the resolution/pixelization didn't do the cars justice.
I'm not a digital photography person, which is why I went with a 'Bill the Cat' avatar............that and the fact that our moderator thinks it is more of a self portrait and more fitting for me.

Too much

I agree, when you have to reduce the size it really does not work. I just don't think 'Bill the Cat' works for me. I purchased a new camera recently and the higher res pics are far superior over the old 2.1 meg. I need time to play with it and there is a lot to learn. I miss using my Leicaflex SL2. Simple to the point and never a bad picture. These digital cameras just don't do as good of a job as the old celluloid.

Quick Reply: CS warm up question