Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne-The Truth Behind The Myth

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 PM
marquiz
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like it or not, if I have to buy a new car, it will be (again) CTT. Without any doubt.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM
JeffES
Pro

Oh my. What a witty fellow! How charming!

If you wish to make humor about what I like, at least do me the courtesy of doing it out of my earshot, OK? I don't make it a habit to go onto the various forums and post what I think of the "911" style (I abhore it).

J
Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robbo 66
PAG needed to market/produce it, I totally agree. But take away the vast US sales and it makes poor reading. Second hand values are disappointing to say the least.
The Cayenne remains the 'ugly sister', a necessary blemish on, an up to now, untarnished marque.
Well I'm glad to hear that we are dealing with an adult who owns a 997 (beautiful car). Sometimes you may be dealing with a 13 yr old on this internet thing.

Let's talk about the untarnished image of Porche. I suggest you post the question, "Are there any RMS problems on the 997?" on the 997 & 996 board. Perhaps you will run into "Scouser", aka Bernie of Birmingham. I warn you the answer to that question has caused some to get stickey underpants

I know we **** and moan on this board, but post the same question on this board and be mindful that the Cayenne motor is new with new metallugy (1 1/2 yrs).

My personal aesthetic view of the Pepper is that it is an elegant brute without excessive ornamentation: just what I like.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 PM
JeffES
Pro

Torags,
Excellent summary.
J
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I don't like big cars or SUVs (not an econut, just like little cars) but if I were to own an SUV to pack the kiddos in or just my stuff, I think I'd be hard pressed to find one like the Cayenne Twin Turbo. There is no Land Rover (or any other SUV for that matter) I know of that can pass you in your little P-car and you don't have a prayer of catching them.

Personally, I think the Porsche engineering is the best in the world, no matter how big they make it. I love working on my P-cars whether it's maintenance or upgrades because they are amazing pieces of machinery art.

As for you Cayenne drivers, I notice them all the time and I'm proud to be a part of the same family.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:50 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicely put John
Old 02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

This is an interesting thread since the Poster echos my feelings entirely about the Cayenne. I know you guys will go on about the way it drives, but my opinion is that one should not "drive" a 2.5 tonne vehicle, one should just "potter" along, any vehicle with that much mass should be driven "carefully" not "sportily"
When I have seen Cayennes on the Autobahn they always look a bit stupid haring along at 200kph. All I can think of is how much fuel they are guzzling and a hope that they don't end up smashing me from the rear
Putting the thread on here is little provocative since most of you guys actually own these things, but it is still quite funny - I know I would enjoy a similar poster about the Range Rover (yes I voted on the Cayenne with my wallet and Porsche missed out on my SUV money) being for urbanites who want to appear classy or whatever
I think it may be the elements of truth in the Poster which an owners may relate to which is winding individuals up - I say lighten up
Old 02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, what speed do you drive your RS (camera's allowing) ? what speed do you drive your Rangee ? do you wear green wellies ?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Schnell911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Torags
Let's talk about the untarnished image of Porche.
You wrote Porche, blasfemy !! J/K
I agree with you ! good summary..

Diogo
Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
devon7
Advanced

TB993tt
I'm intrigued by your comment, do you really think it makes any difference what you're driving if you were actually to collide with another person or car at 200kph? As for Porsche missing out on your money, my personal thought is that you could be missing out on a fantastic ownership experience with the CT. Only a personal comment from an ex RR owner.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:35 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by devon7
TB993tt
I'm intrigued by your comment, do you really think it makes any difference what you're driving if you were actually to collide with another person or car at 200kph? As for Porsche missing out on your money, my personal thought is that you could be missing out on a fantastic ownership experience with the CT. Only a personal comment from an ex RR owner.
Devon
At 200kph probably not, but hopefully a lighter vehicle could shed more speed than the heavy Cayenne and whatever speed I would rather a ~1500kg car hitting me than a 2500kg one. I don't need a lecture on the braking capabilities since Porsche has admitted its failure in this department with the dramatic upgraded units fitted to the new performance package.
There are many reasons why I wouldn't have a Cayenne but I guess the overriding one is pure and simple, I think it looks stupid and my missus (the RR is her car) calls them "bread vans"
It turns out that the Cayenne has been a lifeline for Porsche, mainly thanks to you people in the US buying so many. This can only be a good thing as Porsche will continue to make its top end GT3/2/turbo cars which still have proper engines.
On reflection, I guess I am trolling a bit here - apologies for this and I'm glad you all enjoy your vehicles.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Done

Originally Posted by Robbo 66
I promise that my motive was not to 'get a rise' out of anyone. I have not threatened anyones family or questioned their manhood. Some of these responses are incredibly vitreous.
Here in the UK, the car is considered as crass as it is ugly. Driving it however is another experience, superb. The best SUV I have ever driven. However.....and it is a monumental 'however', it remains hideously styled from every angle,and consequently shouts 'noveau riche'.
The Land Rover is indeed slab sided and 'heavy looking', but it has subtle style. it doesn't 'shout'...it doesn't need to.
PAG needed to market/produce it, I totally agree. But take away the vast US sales and it makes poor reading. Second hand values are disappointing to say the least.
The Cayenne remains the 'ugly sister', a necessary blemish on, an up to now, untarnished marque.
Thanks for the un-asked for and un-wanted advice. You may go back to your hole now.

So much for brits being polite.

Alex
Old 02-24-2005, 05:41 PM
devon7
Advanced

TB993tt
From my experience the CT has the same braking characteristics as my C4S - sensational! I'm sure any upgrade or advancement available is exactly that - an upgrade rather than an admission of failure.

Otherwise for example, it would mean that the production of the 996 was an admission that the 993 was no good -which clearly would be a ludicrous statement to make.

My wife also did not like the look of the Cayenne to begin with, but even my eigth year old son thought that the way it drove was more important than the way it looked.

By the way I'm in the UK not the USA.

Don't get me wrong I really like the RR - but it drives like a boat in comparrison to the CT
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I agree the Cayenne has great brakes. The upgrade is for the turbo with the extra HP. These things are damn fast and have no problems under normal conditions. From my experiance most average sedans can't out brake the CT and there are many that weigh almost as much. So what about a RR? Their brakes are far worse than The CT and they weigh a few pounds more. You can take a CGT and exceed its brakeing capabilities also. You drive any vehicle beyond its abilities it will kill.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by devon7
but it drives like a boat in comparrison to the CT
This we can agree on

Quick Reply: Cayenne-The Truth Behind The Myth