Cayenne-The Truth Behind The Myth

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Devon
. I don't need a lecture on the braking capabilities since Porsche has admitted its failure in this department with the dramatic upgraded units fitted to the new performance package.
Perhaps Porsche is more attentive, (in contrast to a failure confession), to increased performance capability than other manufacturers. Let's see if RR upgrades their brakes when they come out with the higher HP new models. US manufacturers typically don't upgrade brakes with higher HP engines packages.

The CS brakes brings slows the weight down quickly and controllably w/wo a 6,000 lb load of a boat.

Clever play on words TB993tt; with that failure bullsh**t.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Torags
Perhaps Porsche is more attentive, (in contrast to a failure confession), to increased performance capability than other manufacturers. Let's see if RR upgrades their brakes when they come out with the higher HP new models. US manufacturers typically don't upgrade brakes with higher HP engines packages.

The CS brakes brings slows the weight down quickly and controllably w/wo a 6,000 lb load of a boat.

Clever play on words TB993tt; with that failure bullsh**t.
My comments are from the experiences of RC and others from Rennteam.com - here is someone who uses his CT on the autobahn and the way I read his reports are that he thinks because Porsche are fitting theses much bigger brakes on a relatively lighly increased output car 500 vs 450 (remember a stock 993tt/996tts brakes are more than adequate with another 150+ hp) then they were underspecced in the first place - I would call that a failure (by Porsche standards)
BTW I would not attempt to compare RR dynamics with Porsche's
Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

My biggest concern when it comes to the heavier Cayenne is not the vehicle itself, but who's behind the wheel. It's not usually your typical Porsche driver who knows what that baby will do and how to handle it properly. Here in the States it's often mini-van mom's taxi with screaming kiddos abound and the cell phone in the ear. If you've seen the mini-van drivers you know what I'm talking about (not a female thing, just the attitude toward driving. My wife handles her P-car beautifully). That's the only thing that scares me about the Cayenne.

In my part of the country, 60% of the cars are SUVs or Pick-Ups so if they are going to be all around me, I'd rather they be a Porsches that can be handled decently.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TB993tt
My comments are from the experiences of RC and others from Rennteam.com - here is someone who uses his CT on the autobahn and the way I read his reports are that he thinks because Porsche are fitting theses much bigger brakes on a relatively lighly increased output car 500 vs 450 (remember a stock 993tt/996tts brakes are more than adequate with another 150+ hp) then they were underspecced in the first place - I would call that a failure (by Porsche standards)
BTW I would not attempt to compare RR dynamics with Porsche's
Engineers design a "factor of safety" (fudge factor) within their stress calculations. Perhaps the limit was exceeded (just my guess).I have respect for RCs opinions, but if this is what he said without verification from Stuttgardt, I doubt it's veracity. It is mere speculation on RC's part and symantic trickery on your part. I have respect for RCs opinions, but if this is what he said without verification from Stuttgardt, I doubt it's accuracy.

The TTs you mention are far lighter, and therefore are not comparable (apples & oranges).

My definition of failure of sensitivity, includes someone like you who barges into a specific interest forum - bashes the interest, and expects no one to get angry.

I don't care what you think, but it's entertaining to rebutt someone with such a factually weak basis.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deliriousga
In my part of the country, 60% of the cars are SUVs or Pick-Ups so if they are going to be all around me, I'd rather they be a Porsches that can be handled decently.
Put yourself on a bike John and imagine yourself on the blind side of a minivan soccer mom w 2 rug rats in tow - talk about fear....
Old 02-25-2005, 01:21 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

You know, it can be frustrating to have people come into a forum such as this and bash a car. But on the other hand, traffic on this board wouldn't be nearly what it is. All we'd have to discuss are the mods we do and what little problems there are...oh and the accidents we have. For instance, imagine how boring the news would be if liberals quit bashing the Bush administration and decided to help find a way to improve things going forward in Iraq (where I'm currently sitting by the way). At its very root, it's just opinion vs. opinion. Sticking with cars, I hate BMW's. They're excellent cars, but I can't stand 95% of the type of people that own them and I just can't get beyond that association. It's like I try and explain to someone I just offended who owns an M3- "Chill. The Yankees are a good baseball team, but I still hate them."

To the Cayenne haters, whatever. The looks were the 1 thing (o.k. a few pounds lighter would've been nice too) I didn't like about my wife buying her CT. They do grow on you and if you line up all the other ghastly looking SUV's for comparison (Volvo, X5, RR, etc.), I think the Cayenne looks the best. But if haters want to come post stupid comments, hey it gives us something to do while we body slam their opinion.

p.s. I should go find a roadfly BMW forum and post a guaranteed pot-stirring comment like: "New Audi RS4 a sure fire M3 killer!"
Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 AM
JeffES
Pro

Sorry, but I must disagree. All opinions on all subjects are not equally valued (nor valid!), and "stirring the pot" is a useless sentiment.
Discussing the Cayenne and it's attributes is an excellent topic that I enjoy. I cannot understand those who "jump" into forums simply to say something inflammitory. Life's to short to be an a**.

J
Old 02-25-2005, 10:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunatlely some of my countrymen are such ***** and try to create facts out of their opinions.

993tt, sell your toy go buy a Cayenne and then come back, instead of just being a troll.

As far as the brakes are concerned even Jeremy C on top gear praised the brakes on the track and we all know he can be brutal.

Stop making me ashamed.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see much of a difference between getting hit by a SUV or a Minivan.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the "here in the UK" gives the explaination for this thread. Lame, I would just drop it!!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:31 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing personal Mike
Old 02-25-2005, 07:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Non taken, I said my piece on this already
Old 02-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

Interesting thread this. Far more interesting than the plethora of saddo mod threads that tend to dominate forums. I'm also pleased to see that on the whole, the majority do actually agree that the Cayenne is pretty ugly. You'll always get the guy that needs to justify his expenditure by stating 'she's beautiful' etc, but on the whole the general consensus seems to be, great drive ( which I wholly agree with) but on the whole....asthetically challenging for the majority. I hope the sales continue to rocket state side, swelling the coffers of PAG enabling further R&D into where they should be concentrating...sports cars.
Enjoy.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:22 AM
devon7
Advanced

Robbo 66

I have to absolutely disagree with some of your opinions. Most people in the UK do not think that the Cayenne is "crass and ugly".

Just because Jeremy ClarKson (who is very funny) thinks it's ugly does not mean 65 million people agree with him. To be honest , most people would not even recognize a Cayenne if it drove over them.

When I first saw the photos of the soon to be released Cayenne I was disappointed - I wanted it to look look an X5 but better.

I now see that the design philosophy at Porsche was way ahead of the game.

BMW are currently in the middle of a dramatic redesign program that has received huge criticism. Only now are the braver journalists able to say that they actually like the new 5 Series, the new 6 series, the 7 series. The X5 I once lusted after now looks very dated and out of sync with their range.

People are like sheep, a hand of influential magazine editors decide what they like and no one is brave enough to break ranks. The new Discovery for example has been given huge acolades for its design. Why? To me it looks like a box on wheels, something that the guys at Volvo would have thrown out of the office window back in the 1970's it is a simplistic shape that has poor economy and slow performance. But everyone in the press is jumping over each other to heap praise on it.

So the Cayenne got slated for its design on launch - but now I start to see other cars of all types and origins picking up design cues in a similar style ..it is not ugly but it was ahead of it's time and so still looks visually interesting and fresh.

Don't be a sheep, the car mags (which I love) are full of personal and subjective crap. You have to make up your own mind.

After living with the Cayenne and seeing it in all conditions it remains a fabulous and beautifully crafted car. When you park up somewhere and walk away, you know it's something special because you can't help but stop and look back over your shoulder.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robbo 66
Interesting thread this. Far more interesting than the plethora of saddo mod threads that tend to dominate forums. I'm also pleased to see that on the whole, the majority do actually agree that the Cayenne is pretty ugly. You'll always get the guy that needs to justify his expenditure by stating 'she's beautiful' etc, but on the whole the general consensus seems to be, great drive ( which I wholly agree with) but on the whole....asthetically challenging for the majority. I hope the sales continue to rocket state side, swelling the coffers of PAG enabling further R&D into where they should be concentrating...sports cars.
Enjoy.
Thank you for your well wishes...

I think the thread contributers were extremely civil in their responses, to an inflammatory post. Was this a test?

Quick Reply: Cayenne-The Truth Behind The Myth