Sponsored by:

Cayenne-The Truth Behind The Myth

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbo 66
PAG needed to market/produce it, I totally agree. But take away the vast US sales and it makes poor reading. Second hand values are disappointing to say the least.
The Cayenne remains the 'ugly sister', a necessary blemish on, an up to now, untarnished marque.
Perhaps Robbo 66 doesn't understand American (Since we slaughter English).

He post an item on a Cayenne Board implying that we bought the Peppers because we're not smart and have too much money for our own good. Did I get that right?

Now perhaps Robbo 66 doesn't realize that we have more money because we may be smarter.

Regarding style, the evidence is in ... Americans like it since they are buying it, and RR is copying the format (more powerful engines in those living rooms). So PAG has has pulled a marketing coupe that has affected the the SUV space.

Robbo 66 shows his naive by thinking Porsche has an unblemished record.

Robbo 66 reminds me of a kid who throws water balloons at the cars passing on the freeway.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:29 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw Robbo!....FOAD as they say in the UK.....
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 PM
hamiam
Instructor

i think discussions such as this one are healthy. i dont think such strong opinions of love and hate exist over, say, a mercury sable but i could be wrong. the cayenne is - whether you like it, hate it, love it, or dont give an f - a revolutionary automobile. is it a car, a wagon, an suv? is it a sports car? according to the owners (like me) its the ultimate hybrid; to others it fails on looks, offroad capability, AND performance. in any case, its a first. others will follow attempting to right its wrongs. i understand the resentment of die-hard porsche sports car owners; they feel as if porsche has "sold out" to produce this vehicle. problem is, and i got this from the porsche dealer where i bought my cayenne, there are similar not enough buyers in the world to support the r&d for such a high end car and, as such, porsche was forced to develop an suv/wagon/whatyamacallit. the REALLY bad news to them will, no doubt, be that sedan they are currently working on...
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 PM
hamiam
Instructor

i think discussions such as this one are healthy. i dont think such strong opinions of love and hate exist over, say, a mercury sable but i could be wrong. the cayenne is - whether you like it, hate it, love it, or dont give an f - a revolutionary automobile. is it a car, a wagon, an suv? is it a sports car? according to the owners (like me) its the ultimate hybrid; to others it fails on looks, offroad capability, AND performance. in any case, its a first. others will follow attempting to right its wrongs. i understand the resentment of die-hard porsche sports car owners; they feel as if porsche has "sold out" to produce this vehicle. problem is, and i got this from the porsche dealer where i bought my cayenne, there are similar not enough buyers in the world to support the r&d for such a high end car and, as such, porsche was forced to develop an suv/wagon/whatyamacallit. the REALLY bad news to them will, no doubt, be that sedan they are currently working on...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:42 AM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

Classic. Who would spend time complaining about a car he doesn't own on a thread that can provide no value to him because he doesn't have a Porsche. Amazing.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:48 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Robbo-

Personally, had you stated that the weakest part of the Cayenne was its styling, I'd have to agree. Any 911 stands out in a crowd and evokes ooh's and ahh's. The Cayenne can drive by and not really cause any commotion at all. I rationalize however by saying what SUV does illicit visual double takes? The Land Rover makes vanilla seem exciting. The BMW X5, but especially the X3, is ghastly. The Volvo blends in with the rest of these and the Cayenne fits the same mold. American SUV's look like the drive- big, heavy, mass produced and cheap. Brand preference or personal opinion would let you pick any one of them out as your favorite of the not-so-attractive bunch of cars.

HOWEVER, driving one- I won't even waste the pixels on your screen by repeating what you already know. The Volvo drives like a Volvo, the BMW comes close to driving like a 5-series. I've had a Landcruiser and it drove calmly and conservative like a Camry. The Cayenne drives like a Porsche.

For my wife it was heaven sent. She surrendered her taste for small sporty sedans like her Audi S4 when we had our third (and final) child. She was looking for something that would fit this stage in our life but didn't want to sacrifice her penchant for performance driving. M5 is wanton on looks as well and an SMG transmission makes us very skeptical...having hated the SMG we experienced on the '04 M3. If they made an RS6 off the new model of A6, that would've been tempting. An E55 AMG was an option, but recent quality concerns were real. The Porsche was heaven sent. She loves it.

And the doctored advertisement you posted is 180 degrees off of your supposed intentions.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree also on the point about styling being the Cayenne's weakest point. Its grown on me, but I initially described it to people as looking like an amphibious vehicle with a 911 hood grazed onto the front. I've also heard it said that the Infinity FX 35/45 is the vehicle that Porsche wishes they had built..no there's some good styling! I just hope these latest spy pics of the "facelifted" Cayenne are false, because if true, it seems they did very little to help the overall looks of the Cayenne. BTW I also agree that once you drive a Cayenne your perpspective changes, because it handles so great.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

Torag & Jaro, excellent mature responses...well thought out and so elequently put. I love the line 'Now perhaps Robbo 66 doesn't realize that we have more money because we may be smarter'. Way smarter I'm sure.

Self deprecation is inded a facet of British Humour, and is the bench mark of many comedians repartee.
David, I do infact own a 997 S, having got out of a 996 TT, into a 360 and then in to the S.
Again, it's an opinion of mine that many people share, it's a discussion point that provokes in the main rational responses. But then you'll always have, like on most forums, the whooping fraternity that resort to bile ridden responses in a feeble attempt to make their points and assumptions about the poster or topic.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:08 AM
devon7
Advanced

I saw this back around Christmas time and I must admit I thought it was pretty funny.

I think it was in a bike mag of some sort. I do remember that the mag was full of a variety of spoof ads for all sorts of cars from Skoda to Porsche, so I woulndn't feel too victimised.

I'm sure that most of the humour loss among Cayenne owners is down to the biased reporting from the many auto journo's and car magazines out there that have given the Cayenne a real slagging off since it's launch.

I often wonder how much time these writers have actually spent in the car before the article comes out. I am certainly no expert, but like many others on these boards I have been lucky enough to drive a wide selection of exciting stuff over the years.

You only have to spend a limited amount of time in a CT to realise that it is an automotive giant - this was highlighted to me only reccently after spending a couple of hours in the new 997s.

The new 911 is fantastic, no doubt about it. I thought it was awesome.

But it was only after the 997s test drive on the 70 mile journey home in my CT that I realised how good the Cayenne really is ... more comfort, room for four, luggage space, same speed as the 997. Same excitement. Same passion.

The real laugh is on the guys that haven't got past all those negative magazine articles - they don't know what an amazing tool the Cayenne is and to be honest, I like it that way.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs down

I promise that my motive was not to 'get a rise' out of anyone. I have not threatened anyones family or questioned their manhood. Some of these responses are incredibly vitreous.
Here in the UK, the car is considered as crass as it is ugly. Driving it however is another experience, superb. The best SUV I have ever driven. However.....and it is a monumental 'however', it remains hideously styled from every angle,and consequently shouts 'noveau riche'.
The Land Rover is indeed slab sided and 'heavy looking', but it has subtle style. it doesn't 'shout'...it doesn't need to.
PAG needed to market/produce it, I totally agree. But take away the vast US sales and it makes poor reading. Second hand values are disappointing to say the least.
The Cayenne remains the 'ugly sister', a necessary blemish on, an up to now, untarnished marque.
So, your motive was not to get a rise out of anyone, but you come to the Cayenne forum and post that. What kind of response were you expecting exactly?

While I agree the Cayenne isn't the most stylish vehicle I've owned, I would not agree that it's in any way "hideous" as you've indicated. In fact, I quite like some aspects of the styling. Moreover though, the SUV drives wonderfully, tows my racecar to the track with ease, and allows me to stuff all my junk in the back. When searching for a vehicle I was unable to find this combo in anything else. I actually liked the drive in the FX45 very slightly better, but only a 3500 lb towing capacity on it. Obviously, there are many vehicles with equal or greater towing capacity, but none of them are anywhere close to as much fun to drive.

If you think the Porsche marquee is untarnished, you don't know your history very well. There's more than one car that I'm sure Porsche wishes they'd never produced.

Since those of us that own the Cayenne are so stupid, it would be inconceivable that we would be able to convince someone of your vast intelligence and taste that your point of view on the Cayenne is incorrect. Since most of us already own the Cayenne we obviously have no style or taste, so it's unlikely you'll be able change our minds. Therefore, why not, just go back to the 997 forum secure in the knowledge that you are smart enough to not purchase a Cayenne.

Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 09:28 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Drive One, Then you will understand.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 AM
LeS+
8th Gear

Robbo 66>

G-E-T A L-I-F-E !
Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Schnell911
Intermediate

Robbo 66, if you can just explain us, the reason for your post, I would appreciate... is it because you got a 997, the exlibris of good taste, and then, not satisfied, wanted to "spank" the others who, in your mind, don´t have the same great taste as you do (the owners of the Cayenne), so you could be even more proud of your taste or of your 997, or something else..?
as LeS+ said... GET A LIFE, SMART ***...

Diogo
Old 02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I feel sorry for all these people that come to this forum looking to make themselves feel better by bashing what is a superb vehicle. Nothing is reasonably priced today so wasting exhorbitant amounts of time creating a post like this shows me someone is suffering from what my wife calls SPS . Shows nothing more than the individuals ignorance to what the vehicle is all about. Jealousy is an ugly emotion. Look into what the vehicle is all about and you will find a beauty that goes well beyond its outer shell.

Many cars including the 993 were looked at as being a poor choice in design when they were first released. Over time people began to respect and as they do now find it to be a great looking car. Many hoping for Porsche to swing back to those days as they are now doing with the 997. This ad in my opinion would have been better suited with an ML55 in the CT's place.

You know I never cared that much for its looks until I drove it and it proved how worthy it trully is. I get as many compliments on its looks and everyone I speak to likes it better than I and I have come to respect and appreciate how good looking it truly is for such a large vehicle. I would take it hands down in styling over the ML series MB new or old. Once people drive in it they are amazed what a capable vehicle it is compared to anything else in its class.

So as my Mom always said " if you don't have anything nice to say ...." you figure out the rest.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
sirees01
Track Day

Here in the UK, the car is considered as crass as it is ugly.
Not in the UK that I live in "darling" if you are from the LV brigade then no wonder you made comments like that.
God damn it, you English don't half make **** of yourselves sometimes.

Just appreciate the vehicle for what it is, does it have to look like a supermodel ?
o'r would you prefer it to look like one & drive like a sack of s**t ?

I bought a CTT last week because it is the best 4x4 on the market IMO & not because it's not the prettiest, but even the looks have grown on me over the last few months.

But guess what ? who cares as long as I like it

Quick Reply: Cayenne-The Truth Behind The Myth