Sponsored by:

adding coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 PM
djdinaz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question adding coolant

Started my CS on Saturday only to get a 'Check Coolant' warning. It ended up being over a half a gallon low. As a word of warning, be careful unscrewing the cap, the metal clips that the plastic cover attach to sliced me up nicely.

Anyone else have an issue with coolant usage? I figure if it happens again, it's time for the dealer to look at it.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a handfull of CS that needed to have a considerable amount of cooant added (more than 2 qts.). Having found no leaks while pressure testing the cooling system or seeing any evidense of leakage, they were topped off and sent home.

I cannot tell you why this is happening as we have not had a single Canyenne engine mechanical problem or failure since the release of the model. We sell a lot of Porsche's (60%+ of the DC market) and see them for service as well.

Next trip to your dealer I would mention the coolant issue and have them look for a leak. Atleast that way you have a service history for the issue.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I got the check coolant sign last weekend. Turned out I was down quite a bit. Added 1/2 gallon of prediluted (50:50) Prestone. I was quite surprised to get this warning because I had taken the vehicle in for the first oil change/service interval at 18.7K and I am at 20.3K. On my itemized bill for the 20K service their is nothing about coolant level being checked just washer solution. I don't know why checking coolant isn't part of the service but it should be IMHO. Antifreeze is pretty darn cheap.
I would HIGHLY recommend to check your coolant if you have more than 10k on your Pepper. You might be surprised!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:49 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, this is scary. Coolant should be a closed system. I can't think of an acceptable reason why you'd lose coolant. Is there one?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:01 PM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris Prack

We sell a lot of Porsche's (60%+ of the DC market) and see them for service as well.

I'm guessing HBL?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Wow, this is scary. Coolant should be a closed system. I can't think of an acceptable reason why you'd lose coolant. Is there one?
This is my first P car and first turbo. I also have never had to add coolant to a vehicle before either. Maybe Mudman can chime in on this.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DutchCS
I'm guessing HBL?
Porsche of Tysons Corner!! .............err, yes.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Apart from these posts I had not heard of any other reports of this.....until this morning. I went around a corner rather quickly (:-)) and it came on. Its to hot to check right now, I will later and report.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:04 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

See all the troubleshooting we are doing on this new engine for Porsche before they stuff it into that new Panaronma (or how ever you spell it).

Build the Cayenne with a new V8 and some luxury items, get all the bugs worked out, move into 100k plus M5 killer...

Old 10-09-2005, 06:01 AM
TheTKDKid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mudman2
Apart from these posts I had not heard of any other reports of this.....until this morning. I went around a corner rather quickly (:-)) and it came on. Its to hot to check right now, I will later and report.
At 19.5K miles, my Check Coolant light came on. Turns out I needed 1/2 gallon of antifreeze. So now I not only have to carry several quarts of Mobil 1, paper towels, and a funnel, but antifreeze as well. Of course my dealer can't find anything wrong with respect to the oil consumption (1 qt per 1K miles), but also says that there are no apparent issues that would cause me to use antifreeze.

Got to love both the quality control of the manufacturer and the diagnostic ability of their dealers.

Quick Reply: adding coolant