Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you experience lag or delay?
Yes, I have a experienced lag or delay problems!
71.72%
No, I am damned lucky!
22.22%
Yes and it was fixed (please tell us how!!!)
6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Control It
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?

I am wondering how many of us have experienced the 'lag' or 'delay' problem with our Cayennes.

I did not have it the first week and now I do...

I read the temp fixes and will try them as well as print out some posts and bring them to the dealer...
Old 09-05-2004, 04:04 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

I answer "yes", but honestly the delay I have is associated with 'pedal-to-the-metal(carpet)' type driving. I wouldn't consider it excessive or a problem, but something I would suspect with any turbo. I can tell you that the lag in the TT is much less than the Audi S4 my wife had a couple years ago. I did understand that Porsche pre-spun its turbos, so that may be helping.

Anyway, my point is, I would've like a 4th choice to your poll; i.e.:

-Yes, I have experienced lag; but nothing more excessive than would be expected with Turbos.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:06 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

my apologies....I just read the thread that probably prompted your poll. Seems you're looking for problems/solutions associated with CS.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:24 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

I don like the lag, so I always drive it with the tip.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:11 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

controlit,

Your poll should include OTHER choices... I can't pick any of your above choices.

Why? Because, I DID experienced "this car behaviour " in the past, BUT I DO NOT experience it today.
It WAS NOT fixed by the dealer COMPLETELY, because THERE IS NO FIX to date available from the PORSCHE AG. It's their SOFTWARE EXISTING BUGS! These bugs are NOT acknowledged still and are NOT fixed to date.

BUT,... I understood how to fight this car "behaviour" and SUCCESSFULLY eliminated this car behaviour by applying reset procedure and driving style appropriately. I DO NOT HAVE IT TODAY.

Besides considering such behaviour as a software "crash"/exception BUG, which needs a reboot/reset, sometimes IT'S NORMAL to reset/reboot car control units adaptive program just to get properly in sync with other restarted/rebooted software after, for example, dealer service INTRUSION. Very often after service LAZY DEALER does not START/RESET/PROPERLY REBOOT all car software so you have to do it yourself. This car system is very COMPLEX. And dealer knowledge is very WEAK in the US...

See my reset post in the other thread below, it WORKS.

But ultimately PORSCHE AG should FIX their SOFTWARE BUGS!

Last edited by ozr; 09-05-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

The only lag I ever have is during downshifts while in auto mode, which I would not consider lag. Having owned many different automatics, I can say that the tip is far more responsive than most.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:42 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Pesky,
I believe we are talking about this "lag" here... It affects ALL Cayenne models: V6, CayS, CayTT.
You may consider Cay automatics responsive enough, but drive MB ML, you'll see the difference...

Old 09-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Control It
Instructor

I just did the reset procedure but did nothave time to drive it around aggressively..one big problem is that you really cannot just to decide to drive so agressively and either not get a ticket or into an accident...real pain in the butt...

I did seem to notice a difference though but it is too early to confirm...
Old 09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

controlit,

..."aggressively" in this context meaning:

...professionally "IN A SPIRITED/SPORTY manner", NOT STUPID AGGRESSIVELY aggressively.
...drive it like PORSCHE was meant to be driven.
...drive like BMW 5series, but NOT like BMW M3 and NOT like Lexus sedan.
...drive to give an engine a LOAD not overloading it, this is a very potent engine, if you drive it in a LAZY manner, you OBUZE this jewel.
...drive engine, giving RMPs between 3000-5000 and for a short periods upto about 6000, BUT NOT below 3000 (which is a LAZY/SLOW/ECONO mode for this car - a driving style with RMPs between 1000-3000).

Just for your information, this engine JUST wakes up and starts working normally STARTING at the 3000 RMP... Below 3000 this engine is NOT in it's NORMAL for this car performance mode...it's in an econo/starvation mode...

Last edited by ozr; 09-06-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Control It
Instructor

I got ya...gotta get out more...roads around here are mostly 25mph...just can't do much on these streets..this car is like two different vehicles....once it opens up it is sweet,,,,
Old 09-06-2004, 02:23 AM
bancu
Racer

Default "just can't do much on these streets"

You're not alone in this. I think it's more the norm than folks like to admit.

You might want to take a look at this poll:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...0&page=7#30026
Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

I love my Cayenne Turbo, but let's be real here. We're talking about a Porsche. I, for one, expect a Porsche, be it coupe, super car, full-blown racer, mounitain bike or even SUV, to be "THE PORSCHE" of that catagory.

A problem exsists that needs to be addressed. This not an isolated incident of one or two of us being slightly dissapointed with the performance of our Cayenne's with regard to up and down shifting, lag at take-off and other similarly realted out-points. These are out-points, plain and simple. If they magically dissapeared for some that's great. But that's not the fix. I can live with it and have been coping, many can, some will get rid of their vehicles, and most importantly, I believe most of us will be unhappy, somewhat complacent and will not buy these Cayenne's again. I do not think it is okay to be complacent or be expected to put up with a performance (and in many instances, safety) malady in a top-of-the-line SUV, encompassing the entire model range from entry level model to the flagship. My girlfriend's V8 Grand Cherokee absolutly put my more than twice as expensive Cayenne Turrbo to shame with regard to straight line acceleration. This is just sad. No I wouldn't trade, I'm a diehard Porsche Fanatic, this truck is my third. I want my Cayenne to be all it can and should be.

In my opinion, my $100,000 Porsche should not be plagued with a huge lag when I put the pedal down, no way is this okay with me.

While I do not like to merely complain and typically am more interested in solutions, I am somewhat dumbfounded and perplexed as to why such a prevalent problem has not been fully handled as of yet by Porsche. I like the poll and would like to further nominate a dilligent voice among us to forward this data to Porsche, AG and NA. I am certain that someone on this board has an ear of someone at Porsche. So who knows the right terminal?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Control It
Instructor

Great post! I totally agree. It is so crazy to have to baby or somehow 'train' our Cayennes how to shift at the correct points or not to suddenly lay down like some sort of defiant dog.

I just bought my Cayenne and only waited this long because my friends 03 was so off the chart bad with this problem that I would never consider one. I had read about new modules and DME software so I thought the problem was fixed. It does (SO FAR) perform better than my friends dreaded example but it is a constant source of annoyance to wonder when it will decide to go to 'sleep'.

Great idea on contacting Porsche with the power of all of us...

Mark
Old 09-06-2004, 09:26 PM
bancu
Racer

Default "Great idea on contacting Porsche with the power of all of us..."

This has been tried at least once before:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...true#Post34692

As much as I think it will have a negative impact on 'Porsche' and Porsche owners, I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to deal with this is take it "public" by filing safety related claims with the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain
Old 09-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

I am open to any suggestions. A formal claim may in fact be the correct ethics gradient after all this time of not having terminatedly handled the problem. It is the responsibility of the group members to keep others in the group in ethics.

Quick Reply: Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?