Sponsored by:

PCM2.1 on 2006 CTT - Compass, DVD, grinding CD changer, Aux IN, BT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 02:00 PM
LakeTahoeQuat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PCM2.1 on 2006 CTT - Compass, DVD, grinding CD changer, Aux IN, BT

I can tell that people "really love" PCM 2.0/2.1 so I decided to share my experience. This whole endeavor started last month when I was looking into why I have no compass on my MFD. After I determined my 06's DVD navigation unit sends compass and time data to my PCM / MFD I looked into why my Navigation was not working. Below are my SW Versions:

SW Version: 3.0

UNIT: PCM
Target: 05024AD1/0205
Actual: 05024AD1/0205
Entered: Yes Found: YES

UNIT: System Software
Target: 043041AD1/3004
Actual: 043041AD1/3004

UNIT: Amplifier
Target: 00016457/3804
Actual: 00016457/3804

UNIT: Navigation System
Target:
Actual: 00179412/5004

Porsche DVD Version: 04/2005 / 997.642.257.02 / 75L.919.859.AC

First Question: Will this Nav DVD "supplied from previous owner" work with the above versions? When I push NAVI or MAP on the PCM, it askes for me to insert the Navigation DVD. Nothing happens when I insert the DVD, however the PCM screen does change when I insert / Eject the DVD from the Nav unit under the seat. Leads me to believe they are accurately communicating + no Hazard Warmings are shown under the MAIN+TRIP SW Screens

Question #2: Can I or should I try and update my PCM to the latest maps? I am not able to get a CD to play on the PCM. If I insert a CD, it is difficult / impossible to eject. Once I am able to eject and there there is no CD in the tray, PCM emits a grinding noise periodically that is temporally resolved by pressing 1,4,8 to reset..

Question #3: Is there any quality AUX/BT module for quality streaming? Primary objective is quality music streaming through Bluetooth & Compass module. Currently installed the previous owner has some form of FM modulator Bluetooth adapter. The sound quality sucks above all and I can barely live with it anymore + the CD grinding. Is the Mr. 12V the only viable option to retain the PCM2.1?

My understanding is it is quite difficult to update from PCM 2.1 --> PCM 3. As well understand PCCM+ causes some odd" un-resolved" codes on the ECU Cam Solenoid or Sensor, iirc. I do not wish to go down this avenue until this is resolved. Additionally I am concerned about the quality of ERISN or other Android units not showing accurately on the MFD and not having control of the Fader functionality (though I never use)

Any or all thoughts appreciated!
Old 09-05-2023, 04:27 PM
zsherf
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant speak to question 1 or 2, but for AUX i purchased a used Dension gateway 500 on ebay for about $100. It gave me aux in and iPod in and the sound quality is on par with CD. I believe there is another module like this but I cannot recall the name. Hope this helps!!!
Old 09-05-2023, 04:40 PM
LakeTahoeQuat
Intermediate

Thanks Autox! I will look at the Dension 500. It was my interpretation that if I did not have the 6 disk changer I would not be able to put this in series with the MOST loop. Curious what users here have utilized on PCM2.1 w/ no 6CD.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:00 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,041 Posts

I have a cd player emulator made by "Mr. 12 Volt" in my 996 which has PCM 2.0. It works great, supposed to be better than the Denison unit. Has Bluetooth, aux cable, microSD inputs and supports phone calls over bluetooth.
Rennkit sells them, although I got mine from Amazon.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 11:08 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Not sure on the SW versions. The GPS antenna goes to the NAV unit under the seat, not to the PCM itself, which must be why the compass readings comes from it as well.
The DVD for NAV is going to be in the DVD unit under the seat.
PCM2.0 was older and I think used CDs (not totally sure on this), whereas 2.1 used DVD for nav.

As for your questions.
1. Not sure what you're asking here, see above on DVD location.
2. No. PCM2.1 maps are hopelessly outdated and ridiculously expensive. Those maps were basically outdated when the update was sold by the dealer fresh back in the day, not to mention now. It's unfortunate, but don't forger that you're dealing with 20yo technology here.
3. 2nd vote for Mr.12v Bluetooth. I actually still have mine if you're interested - been holding on to it in case I get a 996 someday. It worked very, very well, I only took it out b/c I upgraded to a Kenwood deck. Sound quality was great, car recognized it as a phone, never an issue with it.

#3 is the way to go if you "must" keep the PCM2.1. It is totally livable if you're comfortable using a phone mount for navigation and only keep PCM2.1 for audio. If you want Android Auto/Carplay, PCM has to go.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:03 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
I have a cd player emulator… Has Bluetooth, aux cable, microSD inputs and supports phone calls over bluetooth.
Rennkit sells them.
not only do we sell them, but we have become a wealth of knowledge regarding their application and use.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 09-06-2023, 11:57 AM
LakeTahoeQuat
Intermediate

Thank you for the replies. I have spent months researching and have a an ok understanding about the systems but still have the following questions:

1) Can I use my current DVD to get my navigation to work or any idea as to why it does not work? More interested in getting the clock and compass to work, less having nav. Since I can not insert a CD into the PCM as it is "grinding" I cant really update the PCM SW to match a "newer" maps. I am trying to get working what I have.

2) Since this will not accept a CD for update "grinding / wont eject" , where do I send this unit for repair? I read some members discuss sending this to Becker for "repair" has anyone done this?

RennKit Dave, Is this the product you are suggesting? BTR-3PM
Again, my Cayenne is an 06 w/ bose, DVD, no cd changer, and I believe phone (has the phone icon on steering wheel and PCM)
Old 09-06-2023, 12:42 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi LakeTahoeQuat,
Yes, that is the BTR-3, if you have the factory phone module, then BTR-3PM. We have instructions on how to tell if you have the phone module: Bluetooth Retrofit Kit - (rennkit.com)
Old 09-06-2023, 01:11 PM
LakeTahoeQuat
Intermediate

Allow me to correct, there is no "phone" button on my steering wheel. When I press TEL it states "telephone not available" or something to that nature..

"It must have an external device, such as a CD Changer, Satellite, external Navigation DVD player or Phone Module in order to function. "

Assuming I can repair the PCM, Ill be looking to order the BTR-3. Will I need to have the dealer code in or will it work in series with the PCM and the external NAV as stated above?
Old 09-06-2023, 01:46 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As stated on the web page, as long as you have CD Changer, Satellite, external Navigation DVD player or Phone Module connecting the BTR-3 is straightforward and no dealer programming required.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:33 PM
DARIOcaptain
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuat
Thank you for the replies. I have spent months researching and have a an ok understanding about the systems but still have the following questions:

1) Can I use my current DVD to get my navigation to work or any idea as to why it does not work? More interested in getting the clock and compass to work, less having nav. Since I can not insert a CD into the PCM as it is "grinding" I cant really update the PCM SW to match a "newer" maps. I am trying to get working what I have.

2) Since this will not accept a CD for update "grinding / wont eject" , where do I send this unit for repair? I read some members discuss sending this to Becker for "repair" has anyone done this?

RennKit Dave, Is this the product you are suggesting? BTR-3PM
Again, my Cayenne is an 06 w/ bose, DVD, no cd changer, and I believe phone (has the phone icon on steering wheel and PCM)
AFAIK the latest DVD that's available for your system contains maps from 2015, so they're alraedy outdated. I wouldn't bother trying to get the PCM navigation up and running. (I also have PCM 2.1 with 2007 maps DVD and it whenever I try to enter the navi it just says loading navigation and nothing happens.) Luckily I already moved out from the PCM navi and bought an external TomTom GPS which has all the newest maps .

Your compass and date/clock are not working as the navi is no longer communicating with the satellites and it's unable to retrieve a correct signal. (I have the same problem on my '07 S and the PCM just shows me it's 2003 again).
I read somewhere that it's possible to bypass this problem by disconnecting the navi DVD drive that's under the passenger's seat. You have to pull out the orange MOST cable from the back of it. I tried doing it but couldn't find a way to reach it even with the seat fully moved to front, I think there are some tools which let you pull out the whole drive via the front and you will than gain access to the whole unit.

It should allow you than to manually adjust the clock and date in the PCM settings. Just don't plug it back in as it will most likely break your clock/date again while stilly trying to communicate with the sattellite.

If you have any more questions regarding the PCM system or navi just dm me, maybe I can somehow help you - I did a lot of research on my as I have similiar problems to you.

Last edited by DARIOcaptain; 09-18-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: PCM2.1 on 2006 CTT - Compass, DVD, grinding CD changer, Aux IN, BT