Sponsored by:

Wont Start, Key Fob issues, Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 01:29 AM
Ldino21
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wont Start, Key Fob issues, Battery Issues

I have had the most frustrating day today. I have a 2008 Cayenne S, purchased this a few months ago, was getting a lot of light issues which i was able to fix. Needed to get A TPMS not active fixed and new key fob from the dealer, took 6 weeks and $2000 later and everything seemed to be working fine.

after a few days i started having issues where the car wouldnt recognize the key fob and i would have to reset it to get it to work.

Finally on Wednesday i got ready to go to work, unlocked the car with fob put the key in the ignition, seat and Steering wheel adjust but nothing when i turned the key. Not even a crank. Key Fob would reset still nothing, same result, started to figure i needed a new battery. Got a new battery went through the fun process to make that change. Lo and behold car started right up. Started up and drove great.

Until today, get in the car, it unlocks, stick the key in seat and steering wheel adjust but no crank, again. My thoughts, battery seems dead, put on trickle charger to see if it will come back. In the meantime thinking i have a battery drain, first thought CD changer and same thing in my 04 911 C4S, spent an inordinate amount of time removing cd changer and attaching fiber optic loop. took a while but car has a full battery. But still not starting, also it seems like every time i put the key in tge ignition, not only does it not start but it seems like that is when the key fob loses its connection with car.

Any suggestions….…..

Last edited by Ldino21; 09-10-2023 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

Most likely the new battery has been damaged by the deep discharge, try boosting it with a good boost pack or another car and cables.
No point in getting off in the weeds until that possibility is addressed.

Then of course you can make a list of all the battery drain culprits brought up here in the past.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:07 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Are key fob issues that common? I have had six 1st gen Cayennes and have never experienced this. I have however had the issue of no start but everything else worked. I did everything you can do to remedy this including replacing all components from a donor. Still would not start. In order to get it to start you had to turn the key on and off 5-10 times before it would start. Finally I did what I should have done in the first place I replaced the starter. I have not had a single issue since then. To be honest it wasn’t that bad of a job to replace the starter. I also had a spare starter that I had rebuilt. The cost to rebuild was about $100. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:13 PM
Ldino21
Advanced

So i went out this morning to check on the car because i had to leave the windows down all night. Car was fine still would not start, checked a few fuses, Radio, windows and Kessy all the fuses were fine decided to check key again and car started!! What the hell , no idea why? Drove it for 30 minutes no problems or warnings, stopped it and started again. This is crazy!!

i’ll try and get the starter checked this week

Last edited by Ldino21; 09-10-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:46 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You really haven’t fixed anything so it will happen again. The next time it won’t start try turning me key on and off several times. If it starts like that I am pretty sure a starter would fix it. If it were me I would replace the starter strictly based on your description of the no start symptoms.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:24 PM
Ldino21
Advanced

OK, took the car to my local shop on Monday to see if they can confirm it was the starter, they could not recreate the no start situation I have been experiencing, kept it for an extra day and still could not diagnose any problem and also confirmed the car is not throwing any codes. I asked how much to replace the starter, they said $750 for the starter and $1200 labor for 6.5 hours, thanks but I'll wait. Started watching videos of starter replacement.

So I decided to take it to work today, car started no problem, decided to pick up a new starter relay just in case that might be the issue. Stopped and car started fine, decided to stop and fill the car up with gas, car stopped and started fine. Went to the office for 4 hours got back to the car and it did not start, was going to replace the relay but I didn't have a good enough tool to get it out, boy it was in there tight. But I tried something I had read, removed fuse # 41 (Kessy Control module) for 5 seconds and put it back in. Car started right up! So I got home, put the new relay in and going to see if that solves the problem or if I keep having an issue with the Kessy ECU. Anyone have to replace the Kessy ECU and know what it cost? I'm assuming it has to be programmed?

Last edited by Ldino21; 09-13-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:29 PM
Ldino21
Advanced

Well, It has been a week and it looks like replacing the Starter Relay has solved my issue, $25 part. I have had no issues since replacing that with the start of the car, everything is running great, and I am loving my car again!

Lou Smaldino
2004 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
2008 Cayenne S
2010 Mini Cooper S Cabrio
2015 Toyota Highlander XLE

Quick Reply: Wont Start, Key Fob issues, Battery Issues