Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing more ride comfort in my 200k mile 04 CTT. Where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 06:37 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

If I was replacing air shocks on anything except a low mileage (read valuable) 957 CTTS, I’d just get a set of new ones from meissler automotive. It’s something like $900 for both front complete units, supposedly German made too.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:03 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I haven't done anything yet with the struts. New brakes and fluids at 100k now are kweping me busy. Plus the outrageous cost of OE ones.

i am gonna try and do some compressing tests, with all the air out of the springs, to see if i can tell if the struts themselves are bad.
i really want to keep the adjustabilityv of the OE shocks as I can still feel the difference, i just think there are some dead spots in the travel.
meissler units im assuming are passive.
Old 07-06-2024, 08:37 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvetteboy6988
I haven't done anything yet with the struts. New brakes and fluids at 100k now are kweping me busy. Plus the outrageous cost of OE ones.

i am gonna try and do some compressing tests, with all the air out of the springs, to see if i can tell if the struts themselves are bad.
i really want to keep the adjustabilityv of the OE shocks as I can still feel the difference, i just think there are some dead spots in the travel.
meissler units im assuming are passive.
Not much info on their site, but someone mentioned in a 958 thread that meissler said they were active. I’d investigate further before dropping the serious coin from Porsche.
Old 07-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

OP - you're due for new motor mounts. Start saving, bro....
Old 07-09-2024, 03:29 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

BobcatBrian,

thanks for the push!
it appears they do maintain the adjustability!
They have a remanufactured version and a new strut assembly!
https://www.miessler-automotive.com/...ut-front-right

This is a great option, the whole strut for $600.

Now, can I get them shipped to the US?

Ill investigate more and ask the main differences between the new vs remanufactured!
Old 07-09-2024, 10:44 PM
Unibtanium
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BobcatBrian,

thanks for the push!
it appears they do maintain the adjustability!
They have a remanufactured version and a new strut assembly!

This is a great option, the whole strut for $600.

Now, can I get them shipped to the US?

Ill investigate more and ask the main differences between the new vs remanufactured!
If they ship to US you get the 19% VAT back, which is included in the list price
Old 07-09-2024, 11:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,489 Likes on 4,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Unibtanium
If they ship to US you get the 19% VAT back, which is included in the list price
Website shows zero availability via the link
Old 07-09-2024, 11:24 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

They have a USA website but it seems to be down for maintenance right now. I think pricing and shipping is USA based vs their German website.
Old 07-10-2024, 09:30 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
OP - you're due for new motor mounts. Start saving, bro....
Did these the other week while the whole drivetrain was out to replace the bloody torque converter seal.
Replacing those mounts was probably the hardest part of the whole job, and believe me there were MANY very difficult parts to it.

Reading on these forums, a lot of people have just given up on doing mounts on the CTT because of how inaccessible they are, but after a lot of cursing and sketchy manoeuvring of the two seperate subframes, those suckers are in there and the difference is very noticeable.

Old 07-10-2024, 12:59 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

tassieporsche, Im one of those persons! I want it done but dreading the cost.
If I plan to keep her longer, Im gonna have to bite the bullet and pay someone to do it. I guess thats why dealers have (or maybe its "had" nowadays) those subframe platform/jigs to help with dropping things for services like engine mounts.
I think I would be skilled enough, as I have done everything else service/repair wise, but I dont have the lift, time, hoist, etc. to do it myself.

Did you do this yourself, at home, on a CTT?
The following users liked this post:
tassieporsche (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 08:10 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tassieporsche, Im one of those persons! I want it done but dreading the cost.
If I plan to keep her longer, Im gonna have to bite the bullet and pay someone to do it. I guess thats why dealers have (or maybe its "had" nowadays) those subframe platform/jigs to help with dropping things for services like engine mounts.
I think I would be skilled enough, as I have done everything else service/repair wise, but I dont have the lift, time, hoist, etc. to do it myself.

Did you do this yourself, at home, on a CTT?
I did it with the help of a friend and a part time mechanic whom I paid to use his garage and hoist (not a commerical workshop, just in his personal garage at home where he works on people's cars). Saved a huge amount of money doing it this way. While it is achievable at home without a hoist, I can't imagine how difficult it would be. If you are determined though there's always a way. If you are in the US you can probably find someone to do it for a decent price, but here in Australia no one wants to touch them.

If you can avoid it I wouldn't worry though, the only reason I did this on mine was to replace the torque converter seal as it was haemorrhaging transmission fluid onto my driveway. The only other reasons I would do an engine out on one of these is to replace damaged turbochargers or do major engine work that requires the heads to come off or similar. Anything else can be done in the car or is worth putting up with to avoid such a massive job (engine mounts for example).

Old 07-12-2024, 10:49 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Agreed, Im hoping not, but would wait for some other major reason to combine with this and do it all at the same time!

I keep thinking about doing the subframe mounts too, but maybe thats a bit easier and dont need to group with a big engine out job some day.
Old 07-12-2024, 05:45 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

AFAIK, subframe bushing replacement requires dropping the subframe.
Old 07-13-2024, 05:21 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibu955
AFAIK, subframe bushing replacement requires dropping the subframe.
Yes it does. I had the dealer in Madison Wisconsin do mine. It was about $1900 all in. Alignment included.

I also had the engine out prior to this to have the torque convertor seal and engine mounts replaced. That was about $3200 all in from an independent shop in Chicago. Jrpshop.com

Old 07-15-2024, 10:18 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Jeff, why did you replace your mounts, was it cause they appeared torn/damaged, or where you trying to solve a particular problem?

Ive done a full (everything except shocks/air bags) front suspension refresh, and I still feel the front end has some kind of faint play/looseness/something off. And I get a clunk on extension (unloading) of the front suspension on certain drops in the road (not on any push up compressive bumps).
I can see the center bolts in my mounts are off center (all are shifted) and im sure there are some cracks or tears in there if I could inspect them fully.

Did you notice anything afterwards?

Quick Reply: Chasing more ride comfort in my 200k mile 04 CTT. Where do I begin?