Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing more ride comfort in my 200k mile 04 CTT. Where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by tassieporsche
Wheels are original Porsche 18" and tyres are brand new Yokohama Geolandar G015's 265/60/R18 all round. Pressure is at 35psi if I remember correctly.
Those are some very hard tires.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:06 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
Those are some very hard tires.
Hard tires? Lot's of people seem to be running all terrains on Cayenne's these days with no issues. Yokohama are a well regarded brand and the G015 is a popular choice for Toyota Land cruisers which, let's be honest, is pretty similar to the Cayenne in a number of ways.

Running 60 profile as well you'd think that this would soften things up even more.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:01 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

A couple things:

I did a complete front end refresh, short of the adjustable shock and air springs on the front of my 05 CTT, it did help with a lot of NVH items, like some vibrations at speed, some noises over bumps, etc. it also helped a lot with steering and precision. however I was expecting more, and I am still left with a clunk on front suspension unload (dropping down from sharp transitions) and I feel the front end wallows even in normal mode let alone comfort. I feel like sport feels like normal used to.

That leaves me with the front shocks as you were originally asking Tasssieporsche. however my ride is not harsh as you describe, more soft and floaty, except for the front suspension unload or downward movement (rebound). I've been holding off due to the cost of the shocks, since I would like to use the OE parts not some cheaper or aftermarket units fearing they wont perform or last the same.
Mine show no damage or leaking, when I took them apart for the upper mounts when I did the upper control arms, but dont think thats the only failure mode for shocks???

For tires, 1st, lower pressure isnt always better. Intuitively it seems right to lower it, but at the same time, you are changing the behavior of the tire carcass, especially on a vehicle as heavy as ours. You will flatten the crown of the tire more, taking away its ability to absorb shock and road irregularities. try 38 - 39 all around to see if that helps. it can be tire dependent.
Also, assuming your Yoko's are not LT versions, you are running the same size I have in Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and due to the larger size and larger tire air volume, they can ride rougher than the stock more touring/sporty type tires. You have more tire mass, higher pneumatic stiffness, but mine dont seem to affect the ride as negatively as yours sound like they are. they do of course negatively affect handling, but I use them as my winter set up in northeast Ohio If they are indeed LT tires, for sure your ride will suffer, they are even heavier, have larger plies and belts, deeper tread depths, for the increased loads / use conditions required of LT tires.

the only other thought I have, and one I keep considering with my front end clunk after the refresh, is the front suspension subframe/cradle mounts (4 of them). They are there to help isolate the suspension from the chassis, so if worn or collapsed, like our engine mounts, ride will be harsh. I do notice than mine appear shifted, that is the center mount bold is closer to the front of the mount than the rear, indicating they have deformed or cracked and no longer can hold the mount centered.

Im going to likely do my front shocks here soon, I can do those myself, so I will report back when I do. I really want to do the front cradle mounts too, but thats not as easy a DIY job, but Im really thinking they are likely bad, and I am sure they are in your case too.

Last edited by Corvetteboy6988; 06-08-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:31 PM
tassieporsche
Advanced

While these cars use ferromagnetic shocks I believe that over time any shock absorber will simply lose its performance and start to wear interally and no longer hold pressure properly. I'd love to drive a much lower mileage one or one that's had all four shocks replaced and see how large the difference is.

I'll try higher pressure and see if that makes any difference. My tires are not the LT version. The reason I went for the Yoko's was they seemed to be the best all rounder which doesn't massivley compromise on-road performance for some snow and light offroading capability. Would be interested to see how some OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero's would feel though.

Subframe bushes are one of those things that I think replacing won't really make much difference unless they're really bad. I've seen thread here and elsewhere where people have replaced their cracked and nasty ones and it hasn't really changed anything.

When you do your front shocks please let us know how improved the ride and handling is. I reckon it'll be a huge difference. As for the subframe bushings, I would leave these until you have ruled out every other possible avenue as I think it would be a waste of money to replace them unless they are really bad (very unlikely).
Old 06-09-2023, 01:14 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I agree tassieporsche, I have been leaning towards the shocks and will go that route. My experience with countless cars of the years is 100,000 miles is pushing it for shocks, replacement should be more like 50k whether leaking or not, they simply wearout!
I wish I replaced them when I did my front end refresh, but I was really thinking new control arms, tie rods, steering rack, end links and the upper strut top mount was gonna do it all for me, and did a lot, but Im still left with this odd clunk on front suspension extension, and the floaty up and down front end over large amplitude and frequency road irregularities in normal and comfort modes, more so than I remember when it was new to me with 43K in 2017.

I will definitely report back what I find, cause there isnt much out their in this or other forums on the impact of new shocks for 955/957s. Just trying to talk myself into the $1000 + for each front shock not knowing for sure if it solves my problems, but what else is left to do!
Old 06-13-2023, 01:27 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I found this on the RS4 forums, my exact problem, just different vehicle, and different shock/system!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rs4...bound-2802811/
Seems to be when their DRC system leaks, affecting shock performance.................so we might be on the right path thinking front shocks/struts.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:47 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Im struggling to confirm the correct part numbers for the front struts on the 955 Cayenne Turbo
Im looking for the whole assembly as opposed to just the struts (even though this conversation has been about the struts possibly being bad, Im thinking I will do the strut and the air bags so I dont have to go back in anytime soon, was originally just gonna replace the shock itself).
Its seems like they are becoming harder and harder to find, the genuine Porsche part that is. Many different remanufactures, Arnott ones, Bilstein, etc, but I want the OE as they do seem to hold up better than most.

I want to make sure these are for the turbo model, perhaps they are the same for the S and base model as well, but I cant seem to tell for sure, short of calling a dealer.
I found:
95534303343 for 4.5l with air ride, left front
95534303443 for 4.5l with air ride, right front

But I am seen on some Porsche dealer parts sites that have 95534303345 (left) and 95534303445 (right) supersede the old numbers, and are a bit more expensive, with the older numbers being discontinued.
Im wonder what the difference is and which ones I should get, and whether the 343 / 443 are for turbo models, and maybe the 345/445 are S model specific?
I can still find a few of the original 343 / 443 assemblies, but the 345/445 are more easily found.

Also wanting to make sure whats all included, the shock/strut, air spring, top alum mount, air line check valve, etc. I really only need the shock and air spring, but if it comes with more than thats how it is I guess.

Can someone corroborate what I found?

Last edited by Corvetteboy6988; 06-15-2023 at 03:51 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 06-15-2023, 07:08 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

I’d recommend you just call a dealer or any reputable parts retailer and as them to check against the VIN.

I ended up buying a front left salvage air strut assembly.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:51 PM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvetteboy6988
Im struggling to confirm the correct part numbers for the front struts on the 955 Cayenne Turbo
Im looking for the whole assembly as opposed to just the struts (even though this conversation has been about the struts possibly being bad, Im thinking I will do the strut and the air bags so I dont have to go back in anytime soon, was originally just gonna replace the shock itself).
Its seems like they are becoming harder and harder to find, the genuine Porsche part that is. Many different remanufactures, Arnott ones, Bilstein, etc, but I want the OE as they do seem to hold up better than most.

I want to make sure these are for the turbo model, perhaps they are the same for the S and base model as well, but I cant seem to tell for sure, short of calling a dealer.
I found:
95534303343 for 4.5l with air ride, left front
95534303443 for 4.5l with air ride, right front

But I am seen on some Porsche dealer parts sites that have 95534303345 (left) and 95534303445 (right) supersede the old numbers, and are a bit more expensive, with the older numbers being discontinued.
Im wonder what the difference is and which ones I should get, and whether the 343 / 443 are for turbo models, and maybe the 345/445 are S model specific?
I can still find a few of the original 343 / 443 assemblies, but the 345/445 are more easily found.

Also wanting to make sure whats all included, the shock/strut, air spring, top alum mount, air line check valve, etc. I really only need the shock and air spring, but if it comes with more than thats how it is I guess.

Can someone corroborate what I found?
I think the whole assembly is how they're generally sold, I struggled to find anywhere selling just the struts themselves with no air suspension parts.

As per above I would call Porsche as they will be able to give you the exact numbers you need. If you want OE parts I think the dealer is the only place you can get them. From what I understand, ATE are the manufacturers of the genuine parts and I don't believe they sell them outside the dealer network.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:43 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Yep, inquired with ECS and local dealer, waiting to hear back.
ECS does list the shocks only, as well as the whole assembly, which they are checking availability.

FCP whom I usually buy from only had the Bilstein replacements.

Crozzer, how did the used strut work it, did it improve things? Could you tell a difference compressing them and comparing?

Last edited by Corvetteboy6988; 06-16-2023 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:51 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

The whole front air strut assemblies are discontinued according to my Porsche dealer, you can only purchase all the parts seperately, and its $3500 - $4000 per side depending on all that you want to replace or re-use from your old one.
The shock itself is $2300, the air spring itself is $1200.
Prices I had seen for assemblies still listed on sites was $2000 for everything, so this option of only purchasing all the pieces/parts is cost prohibitive.
Looks like Im gonna go aftermarket, gently used, figure out if someone can rebuild the struts, or try and find the lowest price on the shock only. I really wanted to replace everything while in there again, and stick with OE (ATE) but doesnt look promising.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I did find part number 955 343 043 60, left front for a 08-10 (957) to be cheaper, in the $1600 range, I would assume it would fit, but not sure about the electronics, etc.
anyone ever fit a 957 air ride shock to a 955?
Old 06-16-2023, 05:25 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

don't quote me, but pretty sure those are interchangeable. I'd suggest calling a dealer or a reputable retailer. ;-)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Unibtanium
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was this ever solved one way or another?
Old 07-03-2024, 03:27 PM
Pnwdbag69
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes I’d like to know as well. Bought mine at 105k and honestly I have never felt much of a difference between sport and comfort. At 145k with big tires and feels ok but definitely not smooth and Cadillac like as it should
The following users liked this post:
Unibtanium (07-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Chasing more ride comfort in my 200k mile 04 CTT. Where do I begin?