Sponsored by:

Bad transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 12:30 PM
hammy35
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad transfer case?

Have to say this is not the first post I was expecting to make but here we are.

I recently picked up a 2008 S. Car was a rescue of sorts but only had one previous owner and was overall very clean and reasonably maintained. 148k miles. I rolled the dice with a shade tree “inspection” out of convenience.

Under load, I’m getting a “clicking” sound from the front axle at anything more than a very gentle throttle. It sounds and feels to be coming from the passenger side more so than the driver side. It can happen at all speeds. Is far more pronounced during low speed acceleration. Passing on the freeway is present but less pronounced. During low speed turns the sound seems to happen a little more.

I initially suspected a CV which the shade tree agreed with. I had in to a well respected a local euro shop (Garagisti in Houston) to address the “CV” and a couple other things. They have diagnosed a bad transfer case. They state the main chain is skipping under load. In hindsight the sound checks out. This repair shop mostly uses OEM parts. A factory transfer case lists for $5300 + labor. Ouch. I phoned a friend who can get the OEM at his cost which is $3500. Better, but…

Im going to get a second and probably third opinion considering the expense.

I searched quite a bit and didn’t see this issue elsewhere. I also didn’t see this as a remotely common issue while researching before purchase. Obviously didn’t expect a bad transfer case on a 957.

Should I trust the diagnosis? New OEM part worthwhile or roll the dice on a used unit, considering the costs? Any worthwhile potential alternative fixes? Anyone else been experience something similar?
Old 04-11-2023, 05:48 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear the new to you Cayenne is having issues. I recall when I replaced my transfer case solenoid (and controller), it resolved a slight binding when turning at slow speeds like in a parking lot or making a u-turn. Don't recall any clicking, that sounds more like a CV axle.

After replacing the TC solenoid, the Cayenne also felt a little smoother while on the highway so you may want to investigate a little further before you start throwing parts at it. There's a few threads on here about transfer cases so dig in!
The following users liked this post:
545moose (05-24-2024)
Old 04-18-2023, 05:53 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

I’ve had noises while turning. Changing the front diff fluid resolved it. Might try that?

how did they diagnose the chain skipping?

this is not scientific, but I don’t think that’s a common failure on these things?
Old 04-20-2023, 12:02 PM
hammy35
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Travis
Sorry to hear the new to you Cayenne is having issues. I recall when I replaced my transfer case solenoid (and controller), it resolved a slight binding when turning at slow speeds like in a parking lot or making a u-turn. Don't recall any clicking, that sounds more like a CV axle.

After replacing the TC solenoid, the Cayenne also felt a little smoother while on the highway so you may want to investigate a little further before you start throwing parts at it. There's a few threads on here about transfer cases so dig in!
Yeah appreciated. There's definitely not any kind of binding, and the box seems to shift just fine into the various 4WD modes, no faults or errors displayed. Nothing on the shop's scan. It's literally just the popping/clicking sound when accelerating under load. I had the same suspicion re: CV. Still reading through threads on transfer case -- nothing matching my symptoms so far. The boots on mine are completely fine, no tears or obvious external wear. I have a CV in my garage I ordered from FCP, so I suppose I could install (or have installed) to either confirm or rule out.

Originally Posted by Crozzer
I’ve had noises while turning. Changing the front diff fluid resolved it. Might try that?

how did they diagnose the chain skipping?

this is not scientific, but I don’t think that’s a common failure on these things?
It's probably due for diff/transfer fluid changes by now. 148k miles and 15 years old so. Here's a copy/paste of the shop's comments on diagnosing. The advisor mentioned they tested on the ground and on the lift, but I honestly don't remember what else he told me. For the record, I rejected the $6k repair for now (oem only here -- but at least warrantied). If we confirm it's a base case, I'll probably go with a used unit given what seems to be a pretty uncommon fail point.

From the shop:
Finding:
found loud popping noise from vehicle under acceleration, continued testing and inspected front carrier and driveshaft with no issues found, lifted vehicle and verified noise only present under load with weight of vehicle on ground. Found transfer case chain is skipping and making loud noises, replace transfer case and retest.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:39 AM
944 matt
2nd Gear

did you ever find out/ or fix the problem?
Old 05-23-2024, 01:43 AM
VittoSoCal
2nd Gear

check the wheel hub tightness, maybe it’s will help
Old 05-23-2024, 12:35 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 206 Likes on 149 Posts

the front differential is often the problem, we had to replace on on a 2006 we had here after trying everything, drain the fluid and see if there is bearing material in it
Old 05-24-2024, 10:23 AM
545moose
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis

By TC solenoid do you mean the stepper motor?
Old 05-24-2024, 02:43 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Posts were from a year ago and never given feedback or resolvement, bad form. Clicking sounds like the front Diff which do go bad, especially when the fluid isn't changed regularly. The Transfer cases can be rebuilt, you can find Bearings, Gaskets, Clutches, and the Chains. Chains aren't cheap, just over $200 alone. The Transfer case is a Borg Warner design and in common with earlier Touaregs and Q7's. Transfer case only holds about 1qt of fluid (ATF). If you want it to last you should change the fluid regularly, it's a cheap an easy fluid swap. Transfer case ATF spec is Esso ATF LT 71141 whereas the Transmission ATF is JWS3309. Many of the higher quality Synthetic ATF's meet both specs but if you are using an older fluid make sure it meets the proper specification. I use Redline D4 in both as it is a Group 5 synthetic which meets both specifications.
The following 2 users liked this post by hahnmgh63:
545moose (05-24-2024), ekstroemtj (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 08:23 PM
stevegxxx
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rebuild it!!!

A rebuilt 955/957 TC is about $900. VERY few parts. I have used double clutch fluid in my 957 GTS TC for years now with no issues what ever. Do not buy a new one. Too many good rebuilt units available
The following users liked this post:
Unibtanium (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 04:09 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 206 Likes on 149 Posts

I would check with Porsche to see if it is covered under recall.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:54 PM
Malibu955
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

I thought the transfer case recall (extended warranty, really) was only for the 958s.

Quick Reply: Bad transfer case?