Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! Very New to this world appreciate all of you who have so much knowledge!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 02:41 AM
R24fran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Very New to this world appreciate all of you who have so much knowledge!

I grew up around cars- my father owned 6 car dealerships in New Mexico so I have seen some really amazing things. Through it all, Porsche has always been my absolute favorite. When I was 10 my Dad bought a 1987 930 turbo (he still has it) and when I turned 15 he taught me how to drive it! Ever since that day, I have been hooked.

I have never had enough money to even consider purchasing my own but the day has come. My dream garage has a CTT and my Dads 930T in it and I am finally able to start to pursue that dream.

I am currently looking at purchasing a Cayenne Turbo 2007-2010 and am finding a ton of information out there (thanks to a lot of you) but it’s a TON of information that i am uneducated about. My end goal is to lift it to do some trails, go camping, tow but mainly drive in the city.

I have about $30k and $10k for upgrades/maintenance upfront for the build and will keep some cash on the sidelines for any kind of maintenance that pops up in the future. I am fully aware of the rabbit holes that one can go down with these amazing machines so will plan on having money set aside for things that come up. I don’t know a lot but have read enough and seen my dad spend quite a bit up keeping his 930T.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 957 CTT (2008) with 130k for $17,500. It has pretty detailed records (attached) but I truly don’t know what exactly I am looking at. (Very excited for my journey). This vehicle has a laundry list of maintenance from 4 owners.. some at Porsche dealerships and some not. Previous owners have also taken care of $10k worth of work on things that seem to be faulty or just simply worn out with this specific year.

Here is my predicament- this is 2008 with 130k miles on it. I would consider that to be semi high mileage (right?) which means that some things that typically happen around the 100-115k milestones have been done (attaching records). I am torn because I could go for something that is a little newer in age and mileage BUT eventually I would have to spend that $$ to get these things done anyways, regardless. Adding up to $10k what my end result would be is spending more for less mileage but having to potentially and eventually fix some of these as the car ages and gets more use/wear. With this kind of record, and about 30k more miles, those things are done and I could potentially save $10k on those potential repairs. If that makes sense. My lack of education in this subject has me at a crossroads. Can somebody help a brother out? Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to help me out. It really is appreciated!

Old 11-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That car has been around. Based on the year, and the fact it spent some time in the upper mid-west, I would recommend doing an oil analysis and have it specifically checked for bore scoring. A complete PPI will help with some of your mileage concerns. As far as the mileage alone, I wouldnt necessarily make that a deciding factor. If you can find a lower mileage - great. I got my 08 GTS with 120k on it, and put another 60 or so since I got it. Has run like a clock
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 05:42 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Not able to see the service invoices clearly, but the last invoice did stand out with the crossover manifold replaced.
Apparently they dropped the engine for that repair.
This assures that it will never leave you stranded due to a massive manifold coolant leak.

The total dollars spent for service is immaterial IMO. P parts are overpriced and the service labor for this model will be expensive.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-16-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:24 AM
Nolesfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am always leery of purchasing a used car with significant mileage that has lived up north. I suppose being from Florida it is easy for me to say, but I would look for something that has lived most or all of it's life down here. Plenty of nice options. Also from what I understand from previous help I've gotten from the experts here is that bore scoring is more likely in colder climates. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:51 PM
dwebb99
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Bro....sorry, just not feeling this one. Significant amount of previous owners........never a good sign IMO......especially on a high end (expensive to maintain) German cars. This "mature" girl has been kicked all around this country, and besides, I never have liked northern cars.....period. If it were me, I would quickly take a pass on her and keep on looking......and never look back. Good ones with "pedigree" are out there, be patient.
The following users liked this post:
iadr (11-20-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 12:00 AM
Malibu955
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

2008 MY is also anecdotally one of the years with a higher incidence of bore scoring. I'd look for a 2009 or 2010 instead.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:07 AM
awdmig
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by awdmig; 03-17-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:41 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by R24fran
I have an opportunity to purchase a 957 CTT (2008) with 130k for $17,500.
Run Forrest run!

note: thats run the hell away from it

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Very New to this world appreciate all of you who have so much knowledge!