Sponsored by:

New Cayenne S with Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Cayenne S with Issues

I picked up a new '04 Cayenne S two days ago and it is going back today for service:
1) Headlamp condensation (both right and left)
2) Scratches and Scuffs on front bumper cover (scuffs on left corner, center)
3) Right front foglamp bulb inoperable (illuminates warning lamp)
4) Tailgate warning lamp (sensitive switch?)
5) Front end vibration, felt through steering wheel and seat back (60mph +)
6) NVH Boom, audible low frequency noise in cabin (tire or propshaft related)
7) Axle Moan 50-60 mph in float/coast, and 60+ under acceleration
8) Floor mats missing (we've discussed)
9) Delivery signoff in service & maintenance manual

From the forum here, I have found I am not alone in experiencing at least some of these issues. I was expecting a much better experience in purchasing my first Porsche.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:18 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Cool

Thats not a good first impression at all!

First of all congrats on your new Porsche purchase

Take that CS to your dealer and get things all sorted out to your satisfaction ASAP. This is unacceptable period. You can always get full credit on another CS if not satisfied. Every new car has some minor issues but not this many!

My experience has been generally good with the exception of the dealer losing my spare key, valet key and owners manuals. This happened during a move into a new building during December. They said once found they would give them to me. In the mean time I've got another reprogrammed spare key + valet key and a set of CS owners manuals from another new vehicle.

Recently my "Air Bag Failure" light came on and they have to replace my driver's side air bag. My rear wiper cover flew off during a snow/ice storm = weird and will be replaced.

Otherwise this is one AWESOME SUV and I have had no other complaints, other than the cold engine slam shifting and learning how to close the rear gate with a gentle slam and so on - knock on wood!

I recently bought an InvisiGard CS headlamp/fog light protector kit and a Colgan carbon fiber-look bra with matching side view mirror covers, but "Murphy's Law" would have these items arrive a day late of sustaining minor rock chip damage incl. my right front Bi-Xenon headlamp and the center windshield going ~ 75 mph on the expressway, from a gravel truck!

Hang in there, be persistent and good luck!

Old 03-11-2004, 03:36 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Hang in there! Once you get these things sorted out, you'll LOVE driving the C-S. Although, the Germans make and design incredible cars, I really wish they'd take a page from the Japanese (Lexus, Acura, etc) in terms of initial build quality and reliability. Hopefully, you'll get the wrinkles worked out. Good luck
Old 03-11-2004, 04:17 PM
R1100RSman
Intermediate

Hypersonic,

I had the headlight condensation issue as well. Dealer corrected and have not had a problem since. They added some type of absorbent devise to each light. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback, I agree it is an incredibly awesome SUV, and can't wait to get it back. I believe my dealership will do everything required to work out the issues.

ljugete: I'm also looking into rock/chip protection for the front end and headlamp/fog lamps. Sorry to hear about your chip. It's getting close to roadwork/patch time in the Midwest.

R1100RS, I'm positive you have a BMW motorcycle, very nice! I have a K1200RS. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:05 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

I got my S few weeks ago and I get the headlamps condensation as well.
I was told when you first get your Cayenne the lamps will do that and that is VERY NORMAL.

My brother's TT used to do that during the first month of ownership and then it was gone after that. However, he had to change one of the lamps for some reasom (it got broken) and the new one was condensating as disscused for about a month period.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

the headlight assemblies have dessicant bags in them, to absorb moisture (like in imported canned foods). My guess is they get overloaded on the ship coming over.

That dealer should have prepped that car better. It shouldn't have been released with scatches for one...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

My CS still has some of the protective tape that came during shipping and was not completely removed at the dealer!

Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I didn't think Cayennes came with mats at no charge (unless the dealer was being generous).
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding is no Porsche comes with floor mats from the factory -- not even the $120K GT-2! Some dealers throw them into the deal deal as a goodwill gesture, and some will charge you $120 or so for the "Porsche" dealer-installed mats.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Hypersonic. It sounds like most of them can be quickly solved by the dealer. I'd be most concerned about the vibration/drivetrain noise. That seems a fairly common complaint (at least on the Rennlist) and may take some persistence to sort out the root cause (wheel balance, out of round tires, Cardan shaft, etc.) I hope it all gets resolved quickly for you!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:43 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Got our Cayenne S in October, and it spent 7 of the first 10 days of its life in the shop.
1. Replaced Bose system (but now the head unit needs replacing).
2. Hatch sensor faulty and replaced.
3. Electrical issues with rear passenger window inoperable.
4. Condensation in headlights (still a problem).
5. Squeaky brakes (replaced pads then but a problem again).

All these problems have been an enormous disappointment given my prior good experiences with Porsche, and my wife (the CS is hers) is wondering why I talk so much good stuff about Porsche when she has had such a bad experience. Now I find myself wondering about my 5 day old Targa though so far its perfect. Is Porsche so focused on profit these days its getting sloppy?

BTW, for what it is, I love the CS.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:42 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Hyper, I'm sorry for your less than stellar start with your new Cayenne. DO NOT accept that vehicle back from the service department until EVERY issue is 100% resolved. Even if they say they have to order parts, I still would tell them that you're not driving that vehicle until everything is perfect. It's only two days old and the deck is stacked in your favor. As soon as you start using it more, they'll be less willing to give you a new vehicle if you truly got a lemon. Your experience is that of true bad luck. I've had mine since last August. I just turned 9k miles and have had zero issues. I really love this thing, it's even more than I expected. Good luck and keep us posted. Mike
Old 03-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

Thanks for the support. The dealership called today and believes my Cayenne will be ready on Monday. They are attempting to resolve the noise & vibration by balancing the tires, and replacing the rear (cardan) propshaft. They also said there was an update kit for the headlamps, and have replaced the tailgate switch. I am expecting the scuffs and scratches to be remedied by Monday.

In my glovebox was an envelope addressed to the service manager from the Baltimore port, that if the dealership noted the owners manuals or floor mats were missing, they could call a 1-800 number to have replacements shipped. My dealer is providing mats at no cost. If anyone is interested I can provide more detail from the envelope.

When you took delivery of your vehicle, did the service manager have a check list or sign the first day of service page in the maintenance manual?

My BMW has all of the delivery and service stamps, I expected Porsche to follow the same process.

Thanks

Ken
Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

I forgot to mention, my loaner vehicle is a 2003 Cayenne S with the PCM and Air suspension. Kind of neat to play with options I didn't order. I have had fun with the PASM changing from comfort mode to sport while raising and lowering the ride height, there is a definite change in behavior.

The PCM/navigation system while interesting, is something I'm glad I didn't order.

The loaner vehicle has about 4500 miles on it, and does not have a front end vibration. I can get the axle to sing... at light throttle around 45-60mph. I can tune it with the throttle.

I hadn't mentioned up to this point, that I am a manager of a driveline engineering department. So I may be more sensitive to the noise than others.

-Ken
Old 03-13-2004, 12:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally posted by Hypersonic
I can get the axle to sing... at light throttle around 45-60mph. I can tune it with the throttle.

I hadn't mentioned up to this point, that I am a manager of a driveline engineering department. So I may be more sensitive to the noise than others.

-Ken
This, as you know, is most likely a pinion depth issue which is usually the cause of gear whine upon steady state operation. This is the very reason we lemon lawed our 2000 Jetta. Three transmissions installed, all whine loudly after about 5k miles..

I hope to hear good news about your CS getting sorted soon

Quick Reply: New Cayenne S with Issues