Sponsored by:

Front recovery hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Front recovery hooks?

What are you all running for front recovery hooks?

The emergency eyelets for regular tow truck pulls or something more specific with perhaps a D ring?

Quarantine is making me crazy and I'm looking to go get muddy with some buddies in a couple weeks... Too many TFL videos on the Tough T doing work.

Granted most of their rigs are more specialized with big tires.
- 2 door Wrangler 2" lift and tires
- Wrangler Unlimited Lifted with all the goodies (total Bro-dozer)
- stock Land Cruiser, but older generation 90s model
- Maybe a lifted POS Cherokee, but he broke the rear diff and needs to replace before he can go out again. (I'll probably help him this weekend on that)

I'm using this in the rear for a pull JIC:
ALL-TOP Aluminum Shackle Hitch Receiver with Pin (35,000 Lbs Capacity) Include 3/4 Shackle, Isolator & Washers (Lighter & Stronger & Never Rust)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJNJ7QB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJNJ7QB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lets see how you all get dirty!!! (no BS: "sorry brohonie, I only off-road the Starbucks curbs when the Karens back up the line")
Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Dave Waldo
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been working on a bullbar/bash plate for my car and part of this was working out (guessing) loads and stresses on the car when winching or being snatched out. What I came up with is that it is possible to put much higher loads on the car than it is capable of sustaining so you need to apply a fair amount of common sense or things can go wrong.

The tie down eye fixing points aren't that bad, they attach to a front bumper which is attached to the chassis by 4 X M10 bolts each side. I think the threaded inserts will be the weakest link. I don't know if the eyes are rated but you can probably buy some and if you need to be pulled out use both to share the load and don't be anywhere in range if if breaks.

Last edited by Dave Waldo; 05-22-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:09 AM
Pillow
Racer

I like what you are doing there! Keep us posted!

Old 05-21-2020, 03:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillow
What are you all running for front recovery hooks?

The emergency eyelets for regular tow truck pulls or something more specific with perhaps a D ring?

Quarantine is making me crazy and I'm looking to go get muddy with some buddies in a couple weeks... Too many TFL videos on the Tough T doing work.

Granted most of their rigs are more specialized with big tires.
- 2 door Wrangler 2" lift and tires
- Wrangler Unlimited Lifted with all the goodies (total Bro-dozer)
- stock Land Cruiser, but older generation 90s model
- Maybe a lifted POS Cherokee, but he broke the rear diff and needs to replace before he can go out again. (I'll probably help him this weekend on that)

I'm using this in the rear for a pull JIC:
ALL-TOP Aluminum Shackle Hitch Receiver with Pin (35,000 Lbs Capacity) Include 3/4 Shackle, Isolator & Washers (Lighter & Stronger & Never Rust)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lets see how you all get dirty!!! (no BS: "sorry brohonie, I only off-road the Starbucks curbs when the Karens back up the line")
get one..
Old 05-21-2020, 03:28 PM
Pillow
Racer

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
get one..
No YotaBios here! If I trade anything, it will be for a LR4 2016.5 Landmark edition.

He's having issues with a trans control module as the moment. In the future, he plans on a diesel swap (IDK the details) as he loves the LC and plans on keeping it for a long time.

Adding: I'm looking to start slow and not beat the ish out of the Cayenne just yet. Hopefully my buddies aren't too crazy off road. The Cayenne is good enough for anything I consider normal West Virginia farm use roads, which is what I bought it for. (and towing)

Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

No YotaBios here! If I trade anything, it will be for a LR4 2016.5 Landmark edition.

He's having issues with a trans control module as the moment. In the future, he plans on a diesel swap (IDK the details) as he loves the LC and plans on keeping it for a long time.

Adding: I'm looking to start slow and not beat the ish out of the Cayenne just yet. Hopefully my buddies aren't too crazy off road. The Cayenne is good enough for anything I consider normal West Virginia farm use roads, which is what I bought it for. (and towing)
Hopefully, lol, they can get crazy....

He probably wants to put a cummings in and it will be a keeper after that. I have a lifted 95 that's in need of some body TLC right now. I had plan on having it back on the road this summer but covid changed that. Funny thing I've worked on all my other cars but have never as much as changed the oil or a tire on this truck, and I've had it a long time.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Pillow
Racer

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Hopefully, lol, they can get crazy....

He probably wants to put a cummings in and it will be a keeper after that. I have a lifted 95 that's in need of some body TLC right now. I had plan on having it back on the road this summer but covid changed that. Funny thing I've worked on all my other cars but have never as much as changed the oil or a tire on this truck, and I've had it a long time.
It's a Toyota, it doesn't need oil to live 500k+ miles... According to Scotty Kilmer. LOL

I've got a 83 FSJ Cherokee for the big tasks, but it is in a serious state of disassembly at the moment... Because #LSEverything (Too many projects and not enough time)

Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

It's a Toyota, it doesn't need oil to live 500k+ miles... According to Scotty Kilmer. LOL

I've got a 83 FSJ Cherokee for the big tasks, but it is in a serious state of disassembly at the moment... Because #LSEverything (Too many projects and not enough time)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ifted-37s.html
Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 103 Posts

You can look at the thread of what we did.
Almost eight years and 107,000 miles principally off-road from the hot Chihuahuan desert to -30F on the frozen Arctic ocean this past March. For recovery gear consider Factor 55 as they make a closed system vs tow hook which is more apt to come loose with a LOT of force. Also recommend purchasing Maxtrax recovery boards as one of the first purchases. Other brands but in our experience none work as well.
Link is not current or complete as we are having too much fun:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...meet-otis.html

Quick Reply: Front recovery hooks?