Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 turbo ..how do I remove...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts
Question 957 turbo ..how do I remove the oil pressure sesnor ..this is how...

Got a 0524 so I need to change my oil sensor. How do I remove the below? TIA..

Guess I should remove the piping to get to this bolt.

Do I unscrew the 4 bolts, and what is this lil black ****?

Last edited by TRINITONY; 08-26-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:37 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 642 Posts

Tony,
Not sure if you mean the oil level sensor on bottom of engine? Pic 2 and 3 for the plenum and TB: Yes remove all 4 bolts to reveal TB. Those two black pips are mount points for the beauty cover.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Tony,
Not sure if you mean the oil level sensor on bottom of engine? Pic 2 and 3 for the plenum and TB: Yes remove all 4 bolts to reveal TB. Those two black pips are mount points for the beauty cover.
LOL...feel foolish now, - yes need to get to my oil sensor. I heard it's best to go from on top, and once you remove your fan that there's tons of room. I couldn't see it from the bottom.

edit: loosen 3 of the 4 bolts and pivot to right and it comes right off.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 08-21-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
LOL...feel foolish now, - yes need to get to my oil sensor. I heard it's best to go from on top, and once you remove your fan that there's tons of room. I couldn't see it from the bottom.
I would suggest that you no longer listen to the person who said it's best to go from the top. The oil sensor is by design the lowest item in the engine.

i'll post a few pics on doing it on a 958 V8 turbo engine. Your 957 V8 is similar enough that I would expect it's basically the same process:

The sensor is PN-5
Reassembly is basically the reverse of disassembly...

I'm guessing you don't have an AllDataDIY subscription. There is a current discount for it - $12/year - using the discount code "Summer 19" - I'd suggest you get one since it appears (1) you have unreliable sources giving you info (2) you're relying on people on the web for info - and it's info that you may need right now in the middle of a job - and that's not gonna happen. AllDataDIY is good and it's cheap.

DISCLAIMER: I have no interest in AllData except for hoping they continue to provide us with documentation for our vehicles that the manufacturer won't provide to an owner. Use at your own risk. YMMV. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
porsche06 (03-29-2022)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:54 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

This is the one here.. from a buddy of mine who is a tech but is super super busy so I don't like to bug him too much.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

thanks for the all data tip. I'll look into signing up for it.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:30 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 642 Posts

Really easy to find after you pull the covers off like you will for the oil drain. The only gotcha may be working around a subframe crossmember.
The following users liked this post:
porsche06 (03-29-2022)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

This is the one here.. from a buddy of mine who is a tech but is super super busy so I don't like to bug him too much.
If I'm reading that correctly - that's the oil PRESSURE sensor, not the oil LEVEL sensor. Some of us assumed you mean the oil LEVEL sensor. Different animals entirely. And in different locations.

What symptoms are you experiencing that lead you to believe one of these sensors is kaput?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If I'm reading that correctly - that's the oil PRESSURE sensor, not the oil LEVEL sensor. You asked about the oil LEVEL sensor. Different animals entirely. And in different locations.

What symptoms are you experiencing that lead you to believe one of these sensors is kaput?
Yup, P0524.

See... https://www.renntech.org/topic/46224...oring-failure/

Took my buddy 3 hours to change one on a customer car.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Looks like I may have to remove the fan or enlist someone with tiny hands..lol

Very tight spot..
Old 08-26-2019, 04:55 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

dipstick should be removed for easier access

old sensor..

old and new sensor

fan out

Tons of room to access sensor

bolt holding dipstick
Got it done, what a PIA. Anyway here are some tips for getting it done.

1) Pack your patience.
2) Remove all intake piping, ,etc from front of engine. It helps to have a LOOOONG T30 Torx screw driver. There are four bolts, two on either side of the pipes. Three I was able to remove with an extension using either a 1/4 or 3/8 T30, but the innermost one on the drivers side where the electrical for the fan runs is at a difficult angle. I tried for hours eventually gave up and ordered the screw driver. With the long screw driver it took exactly 1 min!
3) Now you have everything remove, proceed to remove the radiator/ac fan. There r good youtube videos and a writeup on Pelican on fan removal.
4) Once fan is remove you have tons of space, however the dipstick is in the way and it's best to remove it. Seems like when it was replaced before, the dipstick wasn't removed and due to the angle they used to get to it, the top of the bolts were rounded. You can see it on previous post/photo, the bolt to the right.
5) Use your E10 to remove sensor, replace with new one, curse and swear to get it lined up. I used a small screw driver to line up the bolt holes.
6) Button everything up.

There r other ways to get it done as shown in link on renntech, and on the alldata website.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 08-26-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Finally got around to driving car, annoying Oil Pressure Monitoring Failure/low oil pressure warning and P0524 is gone.

BTW, this is a two person job if you go the route of removing the fan. What were the engineers thinking, smdh..lol
Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Finally got around to driving car, annoying Oil Pressure Monitoring Failure/low oil pressure warning and P0524 is gone.

BTW, this is a two person job if you go the route of removing the fan. What were the engineers thinking, smdh..lol
Probably asking "why didn't you put it into service position first"
Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Just sayin' as someone with no experience at all doing this particular job... but.. it looks like access might have been a bit easier if the serpentine belt was out of the way, and the look of the serpentine belt is that it owes you nothing. I'm not sure if to do the belt on the 957 V8 you have to remove the dip-stick or not to do the belt..

But that's just kibitzing from the peanut gallery who was not there when you were doin' the deed. One can quickly get into the "while I'm working in the area" mode with this sort of job..
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just sayin' as someone with no experience at all doing this particular job... but.. it looks like access might have been a bit easier if the serpentine belt was out of the way, and the look of the serpentine belt is that it owes you nothing. I'm not sure if to do the belt on the 957 V8 you have to remove the dip-stick or not to do the belt..

But that's just kibitzing from the peanut gallery who was not there when you were doin' the deed. One can quickly get into the "while I'm working in the area" mode with this sort of job..
I followed the advice of a buddy of mine who works at a Porsche dealership.

Since you guys like pictures..lol

958 V6 diesel....

Last edited by TRINITONY; 08-29-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 957 turbo ..how do I remove...