Sponsored by:

Intro and new to me 09 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Intro and new to me 09 Turbo S

Hey all, just wanted to post a quick introduction and thank you for all the info on the site. I've had my eye out for a new P car for quite some time, and finally found the one that seemed to fit the bill. After much research on this site (thank you for all the info!) I picked up a 2009 Turbo S and ready to dig in. I joined the site years ago and had a couple 944s that I loved driving, wrenching, everything about. Now after some kids, jobs, and colleges, it's time to get back at it.

I have everything ordered to do all the PMs as soon as I can:

Oil/filter (sticking with M1 0w40 but that is a rabbit hole for sure)
Plugs/inspect coils
Transmission fluid/filter
diff fluid
air filters
Cardan bearing support looks ok for now (I did see someone has a 2 piece split replacement that wouldn't require the shaft removal which I found interesting)
Coolant pipes (if I'm understanding this right, not as major an issue on the 4.8 but some possible glued connections that might cause trouble)

Any other suggestions on any PM items?
So far going through all the systems the only thing I can find wrong is one of the park assist sensors is missing in the front bumper so it alarms when you put it in gear if it's enabled, otherwise everything is checking out OK. (fingers crossed)

Again thanks for all the info on the site, and I look forward to being back in the loop!

Tim
Old 08-07-2019, 02:14 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!

"Cardan bearing support looks ok for now (I did see someone has a 2 piece split replacement that wouldn't require the shaft removal which I found interesting)"

^Skip the two piece workaround. It is nearly impossible to get balanced correctly. The $5 zip tie version will get you by better until you get can an OEM or a reman from Colorado Driveshafts.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:22 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skitch
Hey all, just wanted to post a quick introduction and thank you for all the info on the site. I've had my eye out for a new P car for quite some time, and finally found the one that seemed to fit the bill. After much research on this site (thank you for all the info!) I picked up a 2009 Turbo S and ready to dig in. I joined the site years ago and had a couple 944s that I loved driving, wrenching, everything about. Now after some kids, jobs, and colleges, it's time to get back at it.

I have everything ordered to do all the PMs as soon as I can:

Oil/filter (sticking with M1 0w40 but that is a rabbit hole for sure)
Plugs/inspect coils
Transmission fluid/filter
diff fluid
air filters
Cardan bearing support looks ok for now (I did see someone has a 2 piece split replacement that wouldn't require the shaft removal which I found interesting)
Coolant pipes (if I'm understanding this right, not as major an issue on the 4.8 but some possible glued connections that might cause trouble)

Any other suggestions on any PM items?
So far going through all the systems the only thing I can find wrong is one of the park assist sensors is missing in the front bumper so it alarms when you put it in gear if it's enabled, otherwise everything is checking out OK. (fingers crossed)

Again thanks for all the info on the site, and I look forward to being back in the loop!

Tim
Congrats! Iv'e been thinking of getting that generation Turbo S myself. Had an 05 CTT that ate up over 14k in 2 years but thankfully I had a really great warranty . Traded that one in for an 08 CTT that I absolutely loved and wish I never sold. What color is yours ? Any photos? Enjoy in good health!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

"^Skip the two piece workaround. It is nearly impossible to get balanced correctly. The $5 zip tie version will get you by better until you get can an OEM or a reman from Colorado Driveshafts."

Thanks for the tip I will keep that in mind, any way to know if it's been replaced at some point already?

"Congrats! Iv'e been thinking of getting that generation Turbo S myself. Had an 05 CTT that ate up over 14k in 2 years but thankfully I had a really great warranty . Traded that one in for an 08 CTT that I absolutely loved and wish I never sold. What color is yours ? Any photos? Enjoy in good health!"

Yeah I was looking at some older ones with varying miles, and couldn't really decide, found this one and it just seemed right. High miles (150k) but the price and options seemed right, roll the dice and see what happens! The warranty you mention, was that factory, or did you have some 3rd part warranty that seemed to work out well?

Haven't had a chance to detail it as much as I would like, but that's all part of the fun...I love the two tone interior

The following 6 users liked this post by Skitch:
CarGuyNVA (08-09-2019), deilenberger (08-07-2019), kadn33 (08-08-2019), Pillow (08-08-2019), pirahna (08-07-2019), v10rick (08-08-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice and with PDCC. My 08 had that and I just loved it how the car was always flat in the corners. It was a fidelity Platinum care warranty that I purchased in 2009 or 2010 for 3 years and when I traded the truck in after 2 I got back over 1k. I paid 3k for the warranty back then and like I said it paid out 14k with each occurrence costing me 100 bucks. New tranny, all the coolant tubes and a bunch of electrical stuff if memory serves me right.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Welcome to the 09 TTS club. It's the best year and model of Cayenne and yours with that interior looks quite unique. I went with the 1 piece aluminum driveshaft option on mine to never have to worry about the bearing support issue. Lots of info in my Misha Turbo S widebody build thread.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Welcome, Skitch! Very sweet 957.

Oh Pete! The 2006 Turbo S is what all the others tried to emulate/surpass. The ultimate expression of the ‘dinosaur’ 955 line. The fastest SUV on the planet for years! The only turbo Porsche made for ‘06. But I will easily admit if I didn’t have this one, I’d be driving that one!

This dinosaur’s nearly turning 150.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the info, looks like I have some more threads to look through. And maybe look into an extended warranty if anyone would put one on such a high mile car. This whole journey started with an 04 that blipped my radar and then after looking at about 6 in the area (about all that were around here) this one stood out. The '06 I looked at was nice too Should be elbow deep in some fluid changes this weekend and get this thing ready to really go.

Tim
Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Haven't had a chance to detail it as much as I would like, but that's all part of the fun...I love the two tone interior

Yes, I've always loved that particular two-tone interior option on the 957 Turbo S models, just beautiful! Congrats!!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for all the info, looks like I have some more threads to look through. And maybe look into an extended warranty if anyone would put one on such a high mile car. This whole journey started with an 04 that blipped my radar and then after looking at about 6 in the area (about all that were around here) this one stood out. The '06 I looked at was nice too Should be elbow deep in some fluid changes this weekend and get this thing ready to really go.

Tim
Read the terms of those warranties very very closely. Chances are they won't cover anything that is likely to fail and if they do their maximum payout amounts won't really make a dent in the repair bill.

I think the best warranty is just investing in the time and tools to do it all yourself.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NelaK
Read the terms of those warranties very very closely. Chances are they won't cover anything that is likely to fail and if they do their maximum payout amounts won't really make a dent in the repair bill.

I think the best warranty is just investing in the time and tools to do it all yourself.
Absolutely, that is always my plan. Probably just wishful thinking there would be some cost effective insurance for a catastrophic failure. My mind trying to convince me this wasn't a little bit crazy
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice ride. Love that interior too. Don't forget the transfer case fluid!
Old 08-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
Nice ride. Love that interior too. Don't forget the transfer case fluid!
Thanks, and didn't think of that. Added to the list!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Ok, so the transfer case was added to the list (have new drain/fill plugs ordered) and I have been doing some searching on the procedure and found this:

Any comments on this one? Seems the official procedure is a torque spec, but looking at what is in there they do protrude from the case a bit.

Also added the PDCC reservoir swap and cleaning the drains in the front wheel wells.

Tim
Old 08-12-2019, 02:50 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

That video is for the 958 not the 957/955's.
The following 2 users liked this post by NelaK:
deilenberger (08-13-2019), Skitch (08-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Intro and new to me 09 Turbo S