g wagon comparable to cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fstgtbtl
"Range Rover, the best 4x4 by far" - Clarkson

Now i'm going to duck and cover :-) But seriously, as a guy who has owned all three, they are all very good cars but i can't imagine owning any of them out of warranty.

My indy Porsche, BMW, MB guy hates them. He thinks they are the worst made car on the road.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 PM
fstgtbtl
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The previous generation was a complete POS ( i owned two) but the current generation is a lot better but i can start to see things going wrong so my plan is to ditch it soon. I think i will replace it with a 992 s Cab
Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Mercedes today has sooo many Chinezium parts.... it's not even funny.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Funny - the Ford Flex Kelvinator Refrigerator styling has always kinda appealed to me... can't say the Scion does though. On the Flex I particularly like the panel strengthening horizontal depressions in the side panels - to keep them from flexing too much. If I was looking for something practical to drive - the Flex would be a prime contender. Too bad they didn't sell and Ford discontinued them. Wait - I spoke too soon, the reports of their death were exaggerated.. https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/flex/

Just priced out a 4WD Flex with all the goodies (only thing I saw it was missing was ventilated seats and HID or LED headlights) - $40k. New. 5/60 driveline warranty. Hmmm.. SWMBO has been making noises about replacing the Lexus.. wonder if..
Good for you for not following the crowd. I love Honda Odyssey’s but they don’t tow race cars so I picked up a dirt cheap Ceyenne as it tows well and can be bought so cheep. It tows well but it does take more upkeep than all the other cars I have combined.

FWIW- Chris Harris drives all the best cars in the world, cars nobody on this forum will ever sit in and his daily is a diesel Passat wagon. It’s great on gas, comfortable and hauls a lot of stuff.

Last edited by Miamirice; 01-15-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:38 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Funny - the Ford Flex Kelvinator Refrigerator styling has always kinda appealed to me... can't say the Scion does though. On the Flex I particularly like the panel strengthening horizontal depressions in the side panels - to keep them from flexing too much. If I was looking for something practical to drive - the Flex would be a prime contender....
FWIW, my daughter has a Flex with about 60K miles that's been her trouble-free Hockey Mom 's Hauler for several years. Comfortable, good ride, and supremely practical. Aside from vanity, I'd certainly consider one as a real utility family hauler.

As for the G-Class question; I'm sure they're capable, but in the real world it's the ultimate Scottsdale Fashion Center 4x4.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

We have a 957 Turbo but I work at Mercedes. I literally laugh out loud every time I drive a G-Wagen around the building. They are cool, but also so ridiculous. I personally would hate to have to drive one daily. They are the most uncomfortable vehicle to operate in every possible way, but also so incredibly badass.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 2005 G55 Grand Edition in Black Opal Metallic. It was, and continues to be, my dream car. I now have a 957 GTS.
The G55 is like driving a rocket Propelled Storage Shed. The sensory experience is like no other. Now, it is no longer the fastest thing, but it is sure to put a smile on your face.
I ran a carfax on it a few weeks ago and see it has around 80K miles and is being services in IN at a MB dealer. I may ring them up and see if I can contact the owner to let him know I'd be interested in buying it back if he decides to sell.
They are holding their value exceptionally well, much better than the Cayennes for sure.

I had zero mechanical issues except for a service bulletin recall on the SC pulley being installed...backwards.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by sprfrkr
I had a 2005 G55 Grand Edition in Black Opal Metallic. It was, and continues to be, my dream car. I now have a 957 GTS.
The G55 is like driving a rocket Propelled Storage Shed. The sensory experience is like no other. Now, it is no longer the fastest thing, but it is sure to put a smile on your face.
I ran a carfax on it a few weeks ago and see it has around 80K miles and is being services in IN at a MB dealer. I may ring them up and see if I can contact the owner to let him know I'd be interested in buying it back if he decides to sell.
They are holding their value exceptionally well, much better than the Cayennes for sure.

I had zero mechanical issues except for a service bulletin recall on the SC pulley being installed...backwards.

They are unique looking for sure, but for comparable go, you should drive a Turbo S and see which you prefer. Not only would the Cayenne out oomph the Merc but with PDCC, would run circles around it in handling too.

On the value front, you're certainly correct as the G has become a celebrity car like the Bentley Continental GT, and now the Lambo Urus on the sportier SUV front.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:07 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I own both. 2000 G500 and 2011 S. IMHO:

. Style. G. It is a head turner.
. Off road. G
. Dealer knowledge with axle and transfer repairs. C
. General comfort and driveability. C
. Extreme offroad performance. G
. Onroad performance. C
. Onroad safety systems. C
. HVAC. C
. Cargo volume. G by a lot.
. Towing. G and C. But long haul C is what i grab
. G has had fewer repairs than C
. Held value, both purchased used. G is still valued for what i paid for it 15 years ago.
. Lastly, why do I have both. Wife will not let me sell G or the C.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
They are unique looking for sure, but for comparable go, you should drive a Turbo S and see which you prefer. Not only would the Cayenne out oomph the Merc but with PDCC, would run circles around it in handling too.

On the value front, you're certainly correct as the G has become a celebrity car like the Bentley Continental GT, and now the Lambo Urus on the sportier SUV front.
+1

Quick Reply: g wagon comparable to cayenne?