Sponsored by:

g wagon comparable to cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default g wagon comparable to cayenne?

Wondering if anyone has made a switch to the mercedez G wagon? I would like to hear from people that have owned both. It would seem the G wagon is the ultimate all around SUV to me especially the AMG version.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My brother has a G wagon. To date he has had $27k in warranty repairs on it. he has had it 5 years. He wanted to get rid of it when the warranty expires but its basically a new car with all the work done.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Unless you get the latest gen of G class, it's not comparable at all. The G wagon is a literal WAGON compared to the cayenne when you compare ride quality.

The G is an offroad vehicle just enough road capable to be somewhat comfy.
The pig (955/957) is an SUV (and really sporty) with more than enough offroad capability for most people.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:56 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

From a design / styling perspective, the Cayenne tries to look good, while drawing cues from the classic 911. The Mercedes tries really hard to be the ugliest thing you'll ever see on a road or off it.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid7
My brother has a G wagon. To date he has had $27k in warranty repairs on it. he has had it 5 years. He wanted to get rid of it when the warranty expires but its basically a new car with all the work done.
He might come out ahead if he gets rid of it.

They seem to have pretty dang good resale for such a rough vehicle. I've seen G55s from early 2000s going for 30s and 40s and G550s from early 2010s still going for upper 50s. Kinda ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
He might come out ahead if he gets rid of it.

They seem to have pretty dang good resale for such a rough vehicle. I've seen G55s from early 2000s going for 30s and 40s and G550s from early 2010s still going for upper 50s. Kinda ridiculous.
thats what puzzles me too. if they are so unreliable, why the high resale values.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Originally Posted by nrddct
thats what puzzles me too. if they are so unreliable, why the high resale values.

Because Hollywood drives them
Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

What is the "ultimate SUV"? Ridiculous to even consider such a concept. Some would say the Rolls Royce Cullinen is the ultimate SUV. Somebody else wouldn't have anything but a 4-door Wrangler in the garage. Kardashian wannabees drive G-Wagons. The gold chain crowd would laugh at you in anything but a Lambo Urus. Burberry clientele wouldn't drive anything but a Range Rover or E-Pace. If I had to put 100 different brands/models of SUV on a list in order of preference for purchase, G-Wagon would be in the bottom 10. Somebody else thinks they are candidates for "ultimate". Whatever. All the attention to figuring out which is "best" (of anything) is silly. Most peoples' ideas of what constitutes "best" are not in sync when it comes to vehicles. Cripes, they sold something like 10 million Chrysler K-cars because 10 million people thought they were "best" for whatever amount of money they had to spend. If you had given me a new K-car back in the day, I would have sold it as quickly as possible so I wouldn't be seen driving it. Peoples "pickers" are all different. And as far as I'm concerned, everybody else's picker is broken compared to mine (said 7 billion people).
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow that is a lot of stereotypes!

None of you would in a million years guess what I look like or am into besides my Cayenne. When people act like that it usually works to my advantage.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Wow that is a lot of stereotypes!

None of you would in a million years guess what I look like or am into besides my Cayenne. When people act like that it usually works to my advantage.
If that was you with the model plane in your old profile shot - no guessing required

I'm not a G-wagon fan. Lupo's description is perfect. Way to boxy and doesn't have the type of performance (speed / handling) that lead me to the Cayenne. If someone is looking for status and total offroad capability in about as boxy a vehicle as is out there besides the Ford Flex or that Scion from a few years ago, the G-wagon is it.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:35 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
If that was you with the model plane in your old profile shot - no guessing required

I'm not a G-wagon fan. Lupo's description is perfect. Way to boxy and doesn't have the type of performance (speed / handling) that lead me to the Cayenne. If someone is looking for status and total offroad capability in about as boxy a vehicle as is out there besides the Ford Flex or that Scion from a few years ago, the G-wagon is it.
Lol, that was super old, like 15 years. I get a lot of Eddie Vedder, and the most complimentary-Jesus! My significant other gets a lot of Kardashian comments and a lot of people think Indian or Persian but she's actually French-Canadian, kinda Elvira'ish. However the two of us are far from sterotypical. And yes, she want's a G-wagon. (FML) I want nothing to do with a G-wagon. What a waste of money. I think I have slowly won in convincing her to keep the 07 Tahoe and replace the C350 AMG with a 997tt and I am going to pick up an RC-F for my daily.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Funny - the Ford Flex Kelvinator Refrigerator styling has always kinda appealed to me... can't say the Scion does though. On the Flex I particularly like the panel strengthening horizontal depressions in the side panels - to keep them from flexing too much. If I was looking for something practical to drive - the Flex would be a prime contender. Too bad they didn't sell and Ford discontinued them. Wait - I spoke too soon, the reports of their death were exaggerated.. https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/flex/

Just priced out a 4WD Flex with all the goodies (only thing I saw it was missing was ventilated seats and HID or LED headlights) - $40k. New. 5/60 driveline warranty. Hmmm.. SWMBO has been making noises about replacing the Lexus.. wonder if..

Last edited by deilenberger; 01-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 PM
dorumac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Lol, that was super old, like 15 years. I get a lot of Eddie Vedder, and the most complimentary-Jesus! My significant other gets a lot of Kardashian comments and a lot of people think Indian or Persian but she's actually French-Canadian, kinda Elvira'ish. However the two of us are far from sterotypical. And yes, she want's a G-wagon. (FML) I want nothing to do with a G-wagon. What a waste of money. I think I have slowly won in convincing her to keep the 07 Tahoe and replace the C350 AMG with a 997tt and I am going to pick up an RC-F for my daily.
C350 amg ??! Lol
Old 01-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Originally Posted by dorumac

C350 amg ??! Lol

yes. my brother in law has one
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 PM
fstgtbtl
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

"Range Rover, the best 4x4 by far" - Clarkson

Now i'm going to duck and cover :-) But seriously, as a guy who has owned all three, they are all very good cars but i can't imagine owning any of them out of warranty.

Quick Reply: g wagon comparable to cayenne?