Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIRIOT Android 8.0 PX5 8 Core review

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Interesting. Wonder if they're a power feed for the antenna amplifiers.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:19 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Interesting. Wonder if they're a power feed for the antenna amplifiers.
That would be my guess, considering the massive improvement in reception with it connected.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
They were two blue leads on the separate harnesses that came with the HU. Two harnesses get used for the install.
I just connected them together. They had matching connectors (one male, one female).
They are labeled "ANT" not "RADIO" as I incorrectly mentioned before.
I'd forgotten about those wires. I'm 99% sure I connected them the same way you did, but I find my radio reception to be marginal (factory PCM seemed better). I'll have to reexamine when I get around to it -- I wonder if they do indeed connect to the amplifier power lead in the schematics.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:18 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a thought...there is a Distant/Local reception setting on the bottom of the Radio screen. That may have an effect on your reception if it is set one way or the other.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
Just a thought...there is a Distant/Local reception setting on the bottom of the Radio screen. That may have an effect on your reception if it is set one way or the other.
Good point -- will check
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
I have two Android 8.0 px5 units and I want to share the following issues.

On one I had the factory backup camera working for a couple days then it died. While troubleshooting I discovered a melted diode in the CANBUS decoder. I will first replace the CANBUS decoder. Replacement diodes can be purchased for $10 shipped but it looks like a tough solder job. On the other unit the factory backup camera still works fine.

On one I had bluetooth stop connecting and wifi will no longer turn on. This problem appears to be specific to px5 head units and is not unique to me. I ordered a CF-WU725B wifi+bluetooth dongle for $6.50 that I will try to plug into USB and see if it enables one or both. The issue began as intermittent (worked after turning car off and back on) but now appears permanent. I am still looking into it.

Without these issues (or if I get the issues sorted) I'd give these units two thumbs up.
Did you try the wifi+bluetooth dongle?

I installed my Hiriot 9" android 8.0 this weekend. It was working fine, though the GPS signal jumps around a lot (I installed it under the dash... need to move it to the grill area) and the bluetooth has quit twice on long drives to and from the mountains. I'm not able to get bluetooth to reconnect until after the car is turned off.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

I'm also interested in reports on USB wifi/BT dongles that work.

I have my GPS sensor under the center speaker grille. It's adequate. I think running it up the passenger A pillar and mounting it to the windshield would likely have been better.

Last update: I messed with the DX/LOC setting for the FM radio -- that only seems to affect the minimum strength of the stations that are auto-programmed during a scan (I wish you could turn that feature off, by the way). DX/LOC does not seem to affect the strength or playback of a station once tuned.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

I had the GPS on my other car (a Pioneer Appradio2) run up and on the surface of the dash with a magnetic sticker. That worked well.

Where I have mine now, under the dash toward the passenger side of the center grill, looked clear (as in just plastic above), but the signal takes a while to acquire, and jumps around onto the frontage roads, or even going the wrong direction on the other side of the highway a lot in Waze.

I had thought my bluetooth was cutting out, but just now driving to lunch all audio cut out again, I was streaming to Google Music from my tethered phone. I checked and no audio was coming from any app. So either the optical connections are loose, or the head-unit or MOST Decoder are fritzing out... Will check the optical cables first.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:28 PM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there no way to connect to the factory GPS antenna??
Old 01-02-2019, 05:40 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

prob could with a Fakra to SMA extension
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
prob could with a Fakra to SMA extension
If it's that easy, wonder why everyone is messing with the secondary antenna routing??
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

I hadn't even thought of it until you asked...
Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Indeed -- that would be an interesting GPS mod. My GPS with the antenna under the speaker grille works similar to how Vulcan Grey described above -- adequate, but slow to acquire a lock. Once working and underway, it seems to keep up fine.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

I ordered a FAKRA to SMA cable from amazon, so i'll try this out this weekend.
I also ordered an extender cable for the bluetooth to hopefully make that signal better. I was hearing some alternator whine with bluetooth, but not with wifi streaming.

I still need to play with MtcdTools.

Tethering is easy, but not automatic. I haven't played with that at all. Got the unit installed and then went snowboarding.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Audio cut out again on the drive home last night. I Turned off the car and quickly turned it back on, and still no audio. I turned it off and then turned it on a few min later and the audio was back. Wondering if it was heat related, I didn't use the heater on the drive this morning, and the audio worked the whole time.

Anyone else have any signs of overheating or audio cutting out?

Quick Reply: HIRIOT Android 8.0 PX5 8 Core review